The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Resit - Nov 2016

Hey,

I took my GCSEs in May-June, and I did OK in most of the exams. There's just one issue - I passed out in the middle of my Eng Lang exam. :redface:

I'd prepared for the exam: completed all C/As, completed S&L tasks etc. I got a B for the C/As and 5 for S&L.

Due to being absent for most of the paper, I was awarded a U for the paper and therefore have a big fat F overall on my results slip! :colondollar:

I'm not sure which board my college teaches, but they only offer a one-year course. I'd already prepared, and alongside three AS Levels I don't see how I could fit this in.

Can I ask them to enter me for the AQA paper in November?
Bump
Reply 2
Yes. You can carry forward the controlled assessment and just re-sit the exam. Go and see them at the start of term - yhe entry deadline for November it 4 October but if they won't accept you you'll need to find time to find an alternative centre.
That's really messed up that you got an F even though you passed out during an exam. Did you apply for mitigating circumstances - it really seems that you deserve one, rather than simply taking your raw mark.
Original post by BobBobson
That's really messed up that you got an F even though you passed out during an exam. Did you apply for mitigating circumstances - it really seems that you deserve one, rather than simply taking your raw mark.

I did apply for special consideration, but it appears as though they rejected the application :redface:
Reply 5
That's really tough. I have never had an application for Special Consideration rejected like this. Exam boards are VERY reasonable. I have had students who have only completed the first few minutes of an exam and had to leave because of illness who have been awarded marks based on other elements of their qualification. In addition, you should have still had the full time for the exam - if you are ill during an exam and then able to return you are allowed the FULL working time AND Special Consideration. Could you speak to your exams officer and find out what went wrong with the application?
Definitely try again in November!

Next June is the final time that you will be able to re-sit the old format GCSE, so if the one year course doesn't work out and you need another try in 2018 you will have to start right from the beginning with 100% exam. If you succeed in November (and your coursework must give you a good chance) you will not then need the distraction of taking that extra GCSE course for the rest of the year.
Original post by Lit teacher
Next June is the final time that you will be able to re-sit the old format GCSE.

Are you definitely sure of this? I've heard mixed information. Some say, as you do, that you can take the exam in November and June. Others are saying for speficially GCSE English, it's finishing in November before the new specification comes in, meaning the June exams are not eligible for people re-sitting as it is new spec exams. But interestingly, for GCSE Math i can still seem to resit November or June.
Reply 8
Original post by TheTungsten74
Are you definitely sure of this? I've heard mixed information

I agree with Litteacher, you can re-sit for the last time next Summer - you can check as the timetables for next Summer are already available.
Original post by Compost
I agree with Litteacher, you can re-sit for the last time next Summer - you can check as the timetables for next Summer are already available.
Ok thanks, and this is resits for the old spec? So i would be able to resit the exam only and carry my past coursework forward?Also, when is the entry deadline for these summer exams?
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok thanks, and this is resits for the old spec?

Yes

So i would be able to resit the exam only and carry my past coursework forward?

Yes

Also, when is the entry deadline for these summer exams?

21 February for the centre to get the entries to the exam board, but centres are likely to set significantly earlier internal deadlines.
Original post by Compost
21 February for the centre to get the entries to the exam board, but centres are likely to set significantly earlier internal deadlines.

Thank you for your help! I will hopefully apply to resit through my college soon!

Quick Reply

Latest