The Student Room Group

I need help...

Hello, so I've received my AS results and I think it’s fair to say I’m not happy with them. I got a B in Business Studies, D in Geography, E in sociology and E in General Studies. I really want to quit and start all over again in year 12. I like business and geography, but I don't really like sociology and nobody took general studies serious, teachers and students so we didn't really have any support.
As I said I want to resit year 12, this would consist of leaving and starting again somewhere else, because I don't want to say and resit. The main reason I want to redo is because of the grades I know I am going to have a hard time getting offers from universities I want to apply to and I dislike one of the subjects I’m taking. Need some advice/suggestions as to whether I should go for it and resit the year somewhere else, or just slog it through and try to aim for high grades but probably not go to any of the universities I want to go to and hate the next year of my life.Forgot to mention if I did resit I'd drop sociology and take either politics or law but still resit AS geography and business.:
Reply 1
Original post by ollie1024
Hello, so I've received my AS results and I think it’s fair to say I’m not happy with them. I got a B in Business Studies, D in Geography, E in sociology and E in General Studies. I really want to quit and start all over again in year 12. I like business and geography, but I don't really like sociology and nobody took general studies serious, teachers and students so we didn't really have any support.
As I said I want to resit year 12, this would consist of leaving and starting again somewhere else, because I don't want to say and resit. The main reason I want to redo is because of the grades I know I am going to have a hard time getting offers from universities I want to apply to and I dislike one of the subjects I’m taking. Need some advice/suggestions as to whether I should go for it and resit the year somewhere else, or just slog it through and try to aim for high grades but probably not go to any of the universities I want to go to and hate the next year of my life.Forgot to mention if I did resit I'd drop sociology and take either politics or law but still resit AS geography and business.:

Apply to unis with low entry requirements as a back up, then work hard and get the grades and then take a gap year and reapply to better unis with ur better grades :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by anaighj
Apply to unis with low entry requirements as a back up, then work hard and get the grades and then take a gap year and reapply to better unis with ur better grades :smile:

But wouldn't I then be obliged to go to those universities with the lower offers, and I don't really want to take a gap year :s-smilie:
First of all, sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you wanted.
Whilst it's ultimately your decision, I've been through sixth form and had friends retaking and resitting, so perhaps I can offer some insight.
It sounds to me like you're quite keen to go on to a good uni and have the drive to improve, so perhaps taking an extra year to redo year 12 may pay itself off. Yes, it's another year, but is there really any rush? You've got plenty of time ahead of you in your life. Also so many people take gap years now you won't notice an age difference at uni if you're worried about that.
I've had a couple of friends who didn't do well enough to continue into y13 but also weren't allowed to retake at the same school because of funding/spaces/blablabla. One of them went elsewhere to do similar A levels from scratch and whilst it wasn't a smooth ride, he's now got a place at his first choice uni on a course he really wants to do- something which wasn't looking possible after his first attempt at y12. I guess the biggest thing is the upheaval of your daily life- you'll be in a new school/college, needing to settle in, make new friends etc, not knowing the quality of your teachers. Could you see yourself making this massive change? I guess another benefit of taking another year is allowing yourself more time for considering uni, ensuring you go to the right place for you. Although, at the same time, three years of A levels would be considered hellish by some! It all depends on what you truly want and who you are as a person.
If you wanted to stay at your current institute, have you considered doing AS resits at the end of y13? I had friends do this and it did bump their grade up, but it was a heck of a lot of work! Extra exams, more revision to timetable, content that you haven't had taught to you that you suddenly need to regurgitate in an exam. It's tricky, but if you really don't want to take the extra year of sixth form and move away, then resits in y13 could be an option. You will really have to prove to unis that you are going to make an effort to better your grades, which can be a task in itself.
I would say that from my personal experience, you do need to be studying subjects you love. A levels are the most independent and challenging academic pursuits you've faced so far, and having a genuine interest and passion for your subject definitely pays off in your grades. If you don't have any interest in your subject then you're much less likely to put in the extra hours to get the grades you need!
Do you have teachers you could meet with or email for guidance? Perhaps an AS teacher of yours who knows you well?
It's 2am so this is very rambled but hopefully this raises some points you could consider in your decision. Maybe make a pros and cons for all your options? It sounds juvenile but I'm terrible at decision making and I find this method useful. Hopefully this jumble is of some use to you and I wish you all the best, whichever path you decide on :smile:
Reply 4
ok then adjustment/clearing ?
But wouldn't I then be obliged to go to those universities with the lower offers, and I don't really want to take a gap year :s-smilie:

Yes its fine and sensible. Retake year 12 and if needed do it elsewhere (if you want a fresh start or have no confidence in school) such as college or another sixth form.
It seems the obvious choice for you, but you have to find somewhere that offers the relevant subjects and will take you.
I want to retake year 12 as well but already one of the sixth forms told me their centre can't fund it :frown: but I am really confident I can do well. I am going to another sixth form tomorrow and hopefully they let me do the subjects I want to do. If they say the same thing which I hope not.. I don't know anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abirella
I want to retake year 12 as well but already one of the sixth forms told me their centre can't fund it :frown: but I am really confident I can do well. I am going to another sixth form tomorrow and hopefully they let me do the subjects I want to do. If they say the same thing which I hope not.. I don't know anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not sure what the situation is there. Maybe contact your LEA and see if they have any guidance on funding. GL with the other sixth form.
Reply 8
Original post by clare97
First of all, sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you wanted.
Whilst it's ultimately your decision, I've been through sixth form and had friends retaking and resitting, so perhaps I can offer some insight.
It sounds to me like you're quite keen to go on to a good uni and have the drive to improve, so perhaps taking an extra year to redo year 12 may pay itself off. Yes, it's another year, but is there really any rush? You've got plenty of time ahead of you in your life. Also so many people take gap years now you won't notice an age difference at uni if you're worried about that.
I've had a couple of friends who didn't do well enough to continue into y13 but also weren't allowed to retake at the same school because of funding/spaces/blablabla. One of them went elsewhere to do similar A levels from scratch and whilst it wasn't a smooth ride, he's now got a place at his first choice uni on a course he really wants to do- something which wasn't looking possible after his first attempt at y12. I guess the biggest thing is the upheaval of your daily life- you'll be in a new school/college, needing to settle in, make new friends etc, not knowing the quality of your teachers. Could you see yourself making this massive change? I guess another benefit of taking another year is allowing yourself more time for considering uni, ensuring you go to the right place for you. Although, at the same time, three years of A levels would be considered hellish by some! It all depends on what you truly want and who you are as a person.
If you wanted to stay at your current institute, have you considered doing AS resits at the end of y13? I had friends do this and it did bump their grade up, but it was a heck of a lot of work! Extra exams, more revision to timetable, content that you haven't had taught to you that you suddenly need to regurgitate in an exam. It's tricky, but if you really don't want to take the extra year of sixth form and move away, then resits in y13 could be an option. You will really have to prove to unis that you are going to make an effort to better your grades, which can be a task in itself.
I would say that from my personal experience, you do need to be studying subjects you love. A levels are the most independent and challenging academic pursuits you've faced so far, and having a genuine interest and passion for your subject definitely pays off in your grades. If you don't have any interest in your subject then you're much less likely to put in the extra hours to get the grades you need!
Do you have teachers you could meet with or email for guidance? Perhaps an AS teacher of yours who knows you well?
It's 2am so this is very rambled but hopefully this raises some points you could consider in your decision. Maybe make a pros and cons for all your options? It sounds juvenile but I'm terrible at decision making and I find this method useful. Hopefully this jumble is of some use to you and I wish you all the best, whichever path you decide on :smile:

Hey, regarding resitting at my current sixth form, it wouldn't matter too much because with business and sociology they are liner and so the AS don't count towards final year, I'm just more worried about going to a low grade uni.
I agree that I should probably talk to some teachers but by then well all be back and it'll be too late to try and apply to another place. I'm going to take many of your points on-board, Thank you for your help :smile:
Will other sixth forms let you do the same subjects again? All the other sixth forms I've been to said that if I want to retake year I'll have to pick different A-level subjects.
I'm starting my extra year of sixth form next week, I've known since last year that I would need to take one. I would say for definite don't completely ignore it as an option. At first I was totally devastated at having to wait another year to go to uni (to do midwifery-wanted to do it since I was 9), but I quickly realised that a year really isn't that long. I saw all my friends at the beginning of year 13 getting stressed about their applications and overwhelmed about going and it was comforting knowing I still had time to still think about my options and work hard to get where I need to be, it definitely took the pressure off for sure! I'm not saying 'year 14' is the best thing ever-no one puts it in their life plan or whatever but I'd say definitely don't rule it out because it may be a really suitable option for helping you sort your stuff out and know what you need to do.
As for where to apply and stuff I can't offer much help-sorry! All I can say is don't underestimate the power of clearing, literally no one talked about it when all my friends were applying but meeting up after results day I'd say about 40% of them changed their minds and ended up on different courses/unis than they originally planned, but were all still over the moon that they were going to uni.
Hope I could offer some helpful advice, and I hope it all works out for you which I'm sure it will!
Reply 11
[QUOTE=Abirella;67319882]Will other sixth forms let you do the same subjects again? All the other sixth forms I've been to said that if I want to retake year I'll have to pick different A-level subjects.

I did well in business, and for geography it's become reformed this year so it has a different specification and cause I got an A in it at GCSE I was told I should be able to

Quick Reply

Latest