The Student Room Group

Did anyone else not find Sixth Form to be as hard a everyone said?

Scroll to see replies

It's not hard if you're not too lazy and do the work
Original post by rolaah
I got 10 A*s

I wouldnt expect anyone who got 10 A*s to have found it difficult.

Believe it or not students have differing academic abilities and some will find it hard. You just sound like you are bragging.
Reply 62
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt expect anyone who got 10 A*s to have found it difficult.

Believe it or not students have differing academic abilities and some will find it hard. You just sound like you are bragging.

No I'm not, I never put all my grades out there and said "oh look how great I am", I created this thread because I know many people are going into Sixth Form soon and I remember being rly nervous bc I thought it was gonna be rly hard - but it turned out to be ok. I wanted to communicate that it is not hard for everyone and not to panic.
Original post by rolaah
No I'm not, I never put all my grades out there and said "oh look how great I am", I created this thread because I know many people are going into Sixth Form soon and I remember being rly nervous bc I thought it was gonna be rly hard - but it turned out to be ok. I wanted to communicate that it is not hard for everyone and not to panic.

Thats how it came across. If your intetion was the above, then you didnt make a very good job of it. You also dont appreciate that not everyone is you and that many people will have found it difficult.
Reply 64
Thats how it came across. If your intetion was the above, then you didnt make a very good job of it. You also dont appreciate that not everyone is you and that many people will have found it difficult.

Can I turn your attention to the purpose of this thread:
"I just want to let anyone who is in Y11 know that the jump isn't that bad - but I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences"

Can you please read what this thread is about before you start shouting at me and calling me a bragger. I don't believe bragging to be useful so I don't do it - but if someone asks a question I answer it.

I'm 100% aware that everyone is not me - hence why I said "I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences". I feel you are reading what you want to read and are not listening to me. I'm fully aware people find it hard - hence my concern when I went to Sixth Form. This was meant to be a thread for those who bucked the trend and are saying "it's actually not that bad", as well as for those who want to share their experience. If you're having a go at me for simply saying that - I seriously don't have time for you.
Original post by rolaah
Can I turn your attention to the purpose of this thread:
"I just want to let anyone who is in Y11 know that the jump isn't that bad - but I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences"

Can you please read what this thread is about before you start shouting at me and calling me a bragger. I don't believe bragging to be useful so I don't do it - but if someone asks a question I answer it.

I'm 100% aware that everyone is not me - hence why I said "I would obvs like to hear from others/other experiences". I feel you are reading what you want to read and are not listening to me. I'm fully aware people find it hard - hence my concern when I went to Sixth Form. This was meant to be a thread for those who bucked the trend and are saying "it's actually not that bad", as well as for those who want to share their experience. If you're having a go at me for simply saying that - I seriously don't have time for you.

Dont think you bucked a trend if you go in with 10 A*, its hardly as though you were at much risk and id fully expect you to be perfectly fine and flourish. Thats why I dont think you are in a great position to gauge how difficult it is. Just telling people how easy you found is not going to do a great deal for those who found it hard, but make them feel worse about it.
You are in a good position to give good student tips.
Anyway that was just my impression. It might be just the way you wrote it.

There was another thread yesterday from someone who went in with 10c's and left with 4 A*/ A he posted some good survival insights of how he turned things around. Thought he got it right.
Reply 66
Dont think you bucked a trend if you go in with 10 A*, its hardly as though you were at much risk and id fully expect you to be perfectly fine and flourish. Thats why I dont think you are in a great position to gauge how difficult it is. Just telling people how easy you found is not going to do a great deal for those who found it hard, but make them feel worse about it.
You are in a good position to give good student tips.
Anyway that was just my impression. It might be just the way you wrote it.

There was another thread yesterday from someone who went in with 10c's and left with 4 A*/ A he posted some good survival insights of how he turned things around. Thought he got it right.

Where in my initial post did I write that I got 10 A*s? the only reason I replied was because I was replying to all of the comments on the thread and it was a question asked. I mentioned I got 4 A's at AS to reinforce my point that I found it not too bad, but never published a full list of my grades.
Also if you get 10A*s you may not find it easy still. It's personal experience and how you cope with work. All I wanted to do was just offer my experience and "Buck the trend" in not saying that it was a difficult first year.
You seriously are accusing me of making people feel bad, yet at the same time you're doing that exact thing. The whole point of your attacks on me is to make me feel bad, as opposed to everyone else on this thread (bar one other person) who actually offered what they thought of their year. Accusing me of bragging isn't really helping anyone - especially bc that's clearly not what I'm doing (if you had actually read the description of my thread you would know that).
Original post by rolaah
Where in my initial post did I write that I got 10 A*s? the only reason I replied was because I was replying to all of the comments on the thread and it was a question asked. I mentioned I got 4 A's at AS to reinforce my point that I found it not too bad, but never published a full list of my grades.
Also if you get 10A*s you may not find it easy still. It's personal experience and how you cope with work. All I wanted to do was just offer my experience and "Buck the trend" in not saying that it was a difficult first year.
You seriously are accusing me of making people feel bad, yet at the same time you're doing that exact thing. The whole point of your attacks on me is to make me feel bad, as opposed to everyone else on this thread (bar one other person) who actually offered what they thought of their year. Accusing me of bragging isn't really helping anyone - especially bc that's clearly not what I'm doing (if you had actually read the description of my thread you would know that).

Not at all. I was pointing out the fact that there will be many people who didnt find it easy and that a 10 A* student is in the least likely group to have found it difficult. Telling people it was easy when a person could have struggled isnt going to make them feel great and there are plenty on these forums who are undergoing a lot of personal disappointment. I did read your thread and that was my honest objective impression. As I said someone else managed it but approached it in a better way imo giving good feedback on how to improve and how they managed to turn things round. Anyway I will leave it at that, it wasnt meant to make you feel bad.
Original post by rolaah

Anyone could get As in your subjects. They're not as hard as Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry etc. Stop bragging and making other people feel bad. I'm going into Sixth Form this September and I know the jump is big.
Reply 69
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Anyone could get As in your subjects. They're not as hard as Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry etc. Stop bragging and making other people feel bad. I'm going into Sixth Form this September and I know the jump is big.

"Anyone can get As in your subjects"
I'm not even gonna start with this. So completely naive it's hilarious. If it's so easy then why do over 90% of people not get an A in all of these subjects, a threshold comparable to the sciences?

"Stop bragging"
I'm not bragging, if you read my thread you'd know it's to share experiences and make people feel more reassured that some people didn't find it too bad. If you did it's nothing to be ashamed of.

"Stop trying to make people feel bad"
Interesting how you accuse me of this, but you're doing the exact thing you're denouncing...

"I'm going into Sixth Form"
Oh that explains why you think what I did is easy and why you know **** all. I didn't go in with that mentality. Good luck with that.

Seriously think before you write, troll.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest