The Student Room Group

Importance of English Language GCSE grade in Oxford university

Hi, I am new to this forum and perhaps this kind of questions get asked a lot but I am going to ask again anyways. I have just finished my GCSEs and starting sixth form in September. I have got 3 A*s, 7As and a C in English Language. I have checked the Oxford website for English entry requirements and they want B in English Language. But since I haven't got a B in English language, aside my A level grades, would it (getting a C in English gcse) affect my chances to get into oxford or the other rusell group universities? I want to do Computer science in university.
Original post by Hitler99
Hi, I am new to this forum and perhaps this kind of questions get asked a lot but I am going to ask again anyways. I have just finished my GCSEs and starting sixth form in September. I have got 3 A*s, 7As and a C in English Language. I have checked the Oxford website for English entry requirements and they want B in English Language.

Where did you see that? The page https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/english-language-requirements?wssl=1 gives a grade B as a requirement for international candidates; but it gives various exemptions, including those who are taught in English for two years before applying -- does that apply to you?

But since I haven't got a B in English language, aside my A level grades, would it (getting a C in English gcse) affect my chances to get into oxford or the other rusell group universities? I want to do Computer science in university.

As a tutor, I would look on the C as a bit of a black mark, but not a very serious one. Students don't do a lot of writing in Computer Science; but good language skills are useful to explain ideas, particularly for the third and fourth year projects. Whatever you end up doing, it's probably a good idea to try and improve your language skills.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
Where did you see that? The page https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/english-language-requirements?wssl=1 gives a grade B as a requirement for international candidates; but it gives various exemptions, including those who are taught in English for two years before applying -- does that apply to you?

As a tutor, I would look on the C as a bit of a black mark, but not a very serious one. Students don't do a lot of writing in Computer Science; but good language skills are useful to explain ideas, particularly for the third and fourth year projects. Whatever you end up doing, it's probably a good idea to try and improve your language skills.

Gavin

Being real here, the requirement is a B grade in English Language. It does list that exemption but when I visited the uni they said grade B and do bear in mind Oxford see your GCSEs when you apply.

OP, I'd say with those GCSEs Oxford is a high ask. The average number of A*s for applicants is 6.2 and for successful offer holders - 10.1A*s. Oxford place a much greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge so I suggest looking into them :smile:

That being said, do not think this is a cul-de-sac. If you have your heart set on something, always go for it.
Original post by NonLinearAlex
Being real here, the requirement is a B grade in English Language. It does list that exemption but when I visited the uni they said grade B and do bear in mind Oxford see your GCSEs when you apply.

OP, I'd say with those GCSEs Oxford is a high ask. The average number of A*s for applicants is 6.2 and for successful offer holders - 10.1A*s. Oxford place a much greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge so I suggest looking into them :smile:

That being said, do not think this is a cul-de-sac. If you have your heart set on something, always go for it.

I'm sorry. This just isn't true. It's a myth that Oxford puts lots of weight on the number of A*s at GCSE, particularly for a subject like Computer Science. OP's GCSE results are a bit below what is typical of successful candidates. But he would have every chance of getting in if he does sufficiently well in the MAT and interviews.

Gavin
Why is it a myth when the Oxford undergrads and senior staff all agree?

Quick Reply

Latest