The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ValerieKR
There might be some other breakdowns as pdfs and things but I wouldn't know where they are - it covers pretty much everything anyway

The Annual Admissions PDFs are on that page too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Christ's Admissions,

I am an international student who is planning to apply the Chemical Engineering (via Nat. Sci) course. As I just came to the UK last year, I did not have any GCSE (nor IGCSE) results. Do you think that will affect my chances of getting an offer?

Last year, I studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry in a sixth form college. The education scheme in the UK right now is pretty confusing since some subjects are reformed (internal exams and predicted grades replaced AS levels) while some are not.

Maths and Further Maths are unreformed subjects so I have undertaken AS levels of both. I achieved 300/300 (100%) UMS in Maths and 290/300 (96.7%) UMS in Further Maths, which both are graded A.

On the other hand, Physics and Chemistry are reformed subjects so I have only undertaken the college's internal exam. I achieved grade A in both as well with unknown UMS, which will both be predicted A* according to my teachers.

I would like to know how admissions put weight on AS levels' UMS and predicted grades. Also, do you think I will be a competitive applicant with my current results? (Heard that there are a lot of "superman" applicants with straight full marks:eek:) Thank you for your time :smile:
Original post by jneill
The Annual Admissions PDFs are on that page too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I saw those too I just wondered if there was anything more helpful in terms of breaking down how many people get into each stage of the admissions process for medicine and their average qualifications because Oxford have that.
Original post by Arya150
Thanks. I saw those too I just wondered if there was anything more helpful in terms of breaking down how many people get into each stage of the admissions process for medicine and their average qualifications because Oxford have that.

Nope.

Don't overstress about stats :wink:

Oh, yes there is this:

Medicine GCSE & UMS.jpg

(A bit old but might give you some guidance...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Arya150
Thank you for all your help. I just have one question. I know that it's very difficult to get into medicine at Cambridge. I noticed that Oxford have admissions statistics- https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics. I was wondering whether this information is available for Cambridge? Is there anyway you could provide me with this information? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello, there are the statistics on the pages linked to by others and the annual admissions statistics are also published. We don't have the granular level of detail that Medicine at Oxford produces. We used to have a very useful graph which plotted Science UMS averages against GCSE scores with offers and rejections but this is irrelevant in the new era of reformed A Levels.
Original post by qwertyuiop1998
Hi

I have posted here before and apologise if I'm bothering you. However, I have found this thread of great use so thank you for your responses.

I am hoping to apply for physical natural sciences. If raw marks were included in teachers' references for physics and chemistry with my further maths/ maths UMS available, how significantly would the marks be considered if they were higher? Would they be treated similarly to the UMS or would they basically not be used at all?

Thanks

Don't worry, multiple questions are allowed, even encouraged! :smile:

It's impossible to say at the moment how exactly colleges are going to treat raw marks provided in a reference. My own view is that they are useful detail but would not be treated in the same way as UMS data.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello, there are the statistics on the pages linked to by others and the annual admissions statistics are also published. We don't have the granular level of detail that Medicine at Oxford produces. We used to have a very useful graph which plotted Science UMS averages against GCSE scores with offers and rejections but this is irrelevant in the new era of reformed A Levels.

Oops, see above :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drapplepilot
Are you allowed to commute from a commutable distance or do you have to live in uni?

Thank you 😊

And do GCSEs have a role in medical applications since I got 1a^, 6a* and 4a, but it was the second best in our school?

Basically you have to live in Cambridge and it's expected that you will live in college accommodation for the duration of you undergraduate course.

yes, GCSEs play a role in medical applications and those are solid GCSE results.
Original post by Lockra
I got 4As and 6Bs at GCSE. It was a big underperfomance but will the actual GCSEs stop me from getting into Cambridge or is a matter of they merely don't suggest I have the mental capacity or will do as well at A-level as I want to go to Cambridge? Will the grades themselves stop me or would you just typically look at someone with them and not have much hope?

I'm going to a much better school for year 12, I had pretty bad tinnitus when did the exams and some bits are pieces are being remarked.

I'm not sure what subject you wish to apply for but basically no your GCSEs alone will not stop you from getting an offer from Cambridge. They are not going to be a strong part of your application but this doesn't mean that they can't be compensated for by better performance elsewhere. There are quite a lot of people in Cambridge with none or very few A*s at GCSE, though unsurprisingly there are rather more with a lot of A*s. If you want to come to Cambridge you will need to excel in Sixth Form.
Basically you have to live in Cambridge and it's expected that you will live in college accommodation for the duration of you undergraduate course.

yes, GCSEs play a role in medical applications and those are solid GCSE results.

Thank you! 😊
Original post by Ravi512
Hi, I have recently completed year 12 and studied Mathematics (Full A Level), Geography, Physics and Computing. I achieved A*AAA respectively (All official exams). I will be completing the Further Mathematics A Level in year 13.

I am interested in applying for the Computer Science with Mathematics course. If I was to drop Computing and cash in the AS Level, would I be put at a disadvantage in my application? I am seeing a large cross over between the content taught in the A Level and taught in the degree (with many universities). Additionally it is stated that computing is not a necessity as the course assumes no prior knowledge. I was unsure how it would be portrayed if I took it for AS Level and dropped it. I feel my time may be better spent studying geography and developing written skills (which I was previously considering dropping). I would appreciate any advice.

If I was to drop computing, how would I portray my enthusiasm for it through my personal statement, if I was to talk about how much I enjoy it, would it seem overstated?

Many Thanks
Ravi

Hello Ravi and thanks for your question. It would look a little odd dropping computing but wanting to do Comp Sci. I don't think it need be a problem, however, if you explain your thinking (which seems sound) in the personal statement.
Original post by Jemima25
Hi
I have just completed my GCSE's and got 9A*'s and 3A's and am thinking of doing 3 a Ievels (maths, geography and economics). I am also planning on doing the EPQ. If I achieve good grades in these subjects would I be at a disadvantage for only taking three a levels instead of four?

Hello and well done on your GCSE results. No, you won't be at a disadvantage doing three A Levels rather than four. Students not applying for Physical Nat Sci and Engineering were never at a disadvantage applying only with three A Levels (and in those subjects the only four A levels we were interested in were Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry) and I think that we will see three A Levels (with possibly an EPQ) becoming much more common now that A Levels are changing.
Original post by jdizzle12345
Hi, I was wondering what you are the most important things that you are looking for in a philosophy applicant?

The same as any other subject - strong examination performance, potential to do well at Cambridge, enthusiasm and aptitude for the subject and a willingness to work hard and make the most of what we have to offer.

For Philosophy in particular as a lot of students haven't done it at school before, some engagement with the ideas prior to application is good and a strength in logic is also important.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I'm leaning towards maths more and so I'm taking maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics (however I'm likely to drop one because I don't think there's any point in doing 5 A Levels).
They're my favourite subjects and so luckily with these subjects I'd be able to apply for medicine or maths :smile:

Oh ok! That's good because I thought I wouldn't be able to get extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs because I believed it was too late.

So based on the circumstances I'm in do you think it would be worth an application for maths if I do amazingly well for my AS and have a very good PS? I would ask about medicine but I don't think I'd have a chance as it is very competitive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry much about your personal statement for Maths, all they care about is how good you are at maths. if you do well in your Maths modules and your interviews then you will have a strong chance of getting and offer and then we let STEP do the final sorting.
Original post by ML8020
Hello Christ's Admissions,

I am an international student who is planning to apply the Chemical Engineering (via Nat. Sci) course. As I just came to the UK last year, I did not have any GCSE (nor IGCSE) results. Do you think that will affect my chances of getting an offer?

Last year, I studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry in a sixth form college. The education scheme in the UK right now is pretty confusing since some subjects are reformed (internal exams and predicted grades replaced AS levels) while some are not.

Maths and Further Maths are unreformed subjects so I have undertaken AS levels of both. I achieved 300/300 (100%) UMS in Maths and 290/300 (96.7%) UMS in Further Maths, which both are graded A.

On the other hand, Physics and Chemistry are reformed subjects so I have only undertaken the college's internal exam. I achieved grade A in both as well with unknown UMS, which will both be predicted A* according to my teachers.

I would like to know how admissions put weight on AS levels' UMS and predicted grades. Also, do you think I will be a competitive applicant with my current results? (Heard that there are a lot of "superman" applicants with straight full marks:eek:) Thank you for your time :smile:

There's no need to worry about not having done GCSEs, it's quite common for people just to come to the UK for their A Levels.

UMS at AS Level has traditionally been an important part of the process of decision making. It will still be useful for us where it is available but won't be used in the same way as before as it is going to be incomplete due to the reformed subjects.

With your current results I believe that you will be a competitive applicant at this stage. The number of 'supermen' or 'superwomen' applicants with straight full marks is very much lower than people imagine. Last year for Physical Nat Sci (the course you will be applying through), there were 1053 people with a Science UMS average (the best three Science/Maths scores at AS). Of those just 12 or 1.14% had a UMS average of 99.0% or above. About 18% had a Science UMS average of 96% or above, so there are a lot of very strong applicants but very few with 'perfect' or 'near perfect' results.
Original post by jneill
Nope.

Don't overstress about stats :wink:

Oh, yes there is this:

Medicine GCSE & UMS.jpg

(A bit old but might give you some guidance...)

You're right I'm just stressing out. Thank you for your help

Thank you
Regarding GCSEs, do you look at proportion of A*s like oxford or total amount?
Original post by champ_mc99
Regarding GCSEs, do you look at proportion of A*s like oxford or total amount?

The way we collect the data is that we count the number of A*s and As but we would, of course, notice the proportion. We don't look at either mechanistically but dynamically.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuiop1998
For instance, if I had a UMS of 92 across maths/further maths but had almost full marks in physics and chemistry, would that make me a strong candidate in terms of results in your opinion.

Thanks

Yes it would but do you need me to answer that? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending