The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I was wondering if people at Barts were allowed to also go to queen Mary fresher events? And if yes is this something quite a few people do?
Also is it easy to make friends with people who don't study medicine or dentistry as a Med student
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 201
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi! Very good question.

I have had this same conversation with a few of the professors and doctors who conduct interviews. Since the interviews are generally quite relaxed, if you get the opportunity to talk about something interesting you have done (non-medical), this will make you stand out. So, if you've done a bit of travelling, raised money for a good cause, run a marathon or something similar, you're more likely to impress the interviewer.

Medical-based experience is important (and probably essential) but if you have something a bit more personal to talk about, you'll probably connect more with the interviewer.

I hope this answers your question.
Barts love,
Will

If you don't mind me asking what were your GCSE and A level grades? Do GCSEs have a huge impact on your chances of getting in? What medicine related work experience did you do?
Hi so I recently received my AS results and they weren't very good.

My teachers all predicted me Bs but my actual grades came to be BBCD with the D being in chemistry. I'm hoping to apply for Medicine and the entry requirement for QMUL is AAA with B in AS minimum. The subject I want to drop for Yr13 is a language in which I got a C but hope to retake it.
I'm also doing an EPQ.
Work experience wise, I worked in a care home for dementia and a day in a hospital clinic.

I'm quite worried, do I still have a chance? Or should I aim for another Uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 203
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

Those stats are more impressive than mine were and I (obviously) got a place! There are other factors that are taken into cosnsideration such as the personal statement but you stand a very good chance.

Let me know if you've got any further questions.

Barts love,
Will

Hello. Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like ?
Reply 204
Hi there,

That's hilarious - I didn't know that existed but it sounds great.

See you in September!

Barts love,
Will

Hahaha apparently it does!

I have another few questions about textbooks if you wouldn't mind answering them. Did you buy your textbooks when the course started and which ones did you actually find useful? We have been given a reading list: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/induction/180289.pdf. Did you find the books on the list useful? Also, my sister studied Medicine at Barts quite a few years ago so I have lots of her books but they are of older editions; would you say the editions tend to differ from each other quite significantly?

Thanks!
Hi Will,

I have a few queries, although I realise some may be too individually specific, so please feel free to redirect me to the applications dept.

I wonder if you have any knowledge as to whether applying for deferred entry would disadvantage my application and, further, how the application board might consider this (will they be interested in what I plan to do with my gap year?).

Also, I am a graduate entrant (holding a 2.1 in Law and French with predicted A*,A* in bio and chem A Levels and AABB in my first A Level sitting (non-sciences) and UKCAT outstanding), I wonder if you could shed any light on how my application might be considered as I have read that tariff points are not used for graduate entrants. Finally, can you give any tips for interview prep, such as any free to access medical journals/ depth of reading that might be required?

Kind regards,

Marie-Claire
How can I boost my tariff score if I'll be predicted A*AA and and fourth AS level C, do you think it's a bad idea to apply here?
Original post by Kraytz
How can I boost my tariff score if I'll be predicted A*AA and and fourth AS level C, do you think it's a bad idea to apply here?

Some awards for music etc get you tariff points?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xJessScott
Hi, i am currently studying adult nursing and applying for medicine in october to start in 2017
the entry reuqirments state for my degree i do not need AS chemistry or biology to back up my application, does that mean my degree (predicted 1st) will be enough? and will not need to look at my a levels? (i did rubbish)

also what are the ukcat cut off like?

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

Your question is quite technical - I'm only a student and do not work for Admissions. Therefore, I can recommend that you contact the Admissions department directly. Here's the number: 020 7882 8478

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Meera🦁
Hi Will,
Do you think an average UKCAT score of 687 would be enough for me to get an interview at Barts this year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, thanks for getting touch!

The UKCAT average varies year on year so I can not be sure. That said, a similar UKCAT got me an interview so I think you should be hopeful!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Arya150
What advice would you give to someone considering to apply to medicine? Is there anything you wish you'd been informed of before you applied (about the course)? Can too give me a breakdown of each year so far in terms of the curriculum?

I hope you're enjoying the course and your time at Barts.

Hi there, thanks again for the great questions!

I would advise them to get as much hands on experience in a hospital setting as possible! I know this can be challenging but it really gives you an insight into what working in the NHS will be like.

I wish I had been informed that the course is very different from A-Levels! The same approach to learning content can not be taken. It is impossible to learn everything in detail and this can be quite overwhelming at first.

The first two years are actually quite similar in terms of content. Basic principles of anatomy, physiology and medicine are learnt in first year. In second year, these are built upon with the addition of more pathology. Third year is very different as is much more clinical and is based in hospitals and GP surgeries.

I hope this helps.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Justtryingtolive
Hi

Barts is one amongst my top targets to study grad entry med at. However, before I apply, I want to know how much of a factor academics play in the selection process. This is because I got poor A level grades of ABC. Do I stand a chance if my other stats are fine (good GCSE, good UKCAT, good PS)?

Also, I am planning on resitting these A levels to achieve AAA during my undergrad studies while studying Biomed. Does barts take resit applicants like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's great to hear that you're considering Barts! However, your questions about admissions are a bit technical for me. You should get in touch with admissions as they should be able to help you out: 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Arya150
Paid work in research roles sounds really interesting. Are opportunities like this highly sought after by students? Are spaces very limited? How long would these roles last?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but that just sounds like something I'd love to take up.
Thank you for your time.😊

Hi again, thanks for all the great questions!

There are occasionally formal roles available and these vary in how sought after they are. If you're very keen to get involved then you will get the opportunity at some point. However, there are more commonly informal opportunities available and these just depend on being well aquatinted with staff at QMUL and other doctors and professors. The best way to do this is to get involved with an academic society and get networking!

Barts love,
Will
Reply 213
Hi there, thanks again for the great questions!

I would advise them to get as much hands on experience in a hospital setting as possible! I know this can be challenging but it really gives you an insight into what working in the NHS will be like.

I wish I had been informed that the course is very different from A-Levels! The same approach to learning content can not be taken. It is impossible to learn everything in detail and this can be quite overwhelming at first.

The first two years are actually quite similar in terms of content. Basic principles of anatomy, physiology and medicine are learnt in first year. In second year, these are built upon with the addition of more pathology. Third year is very different as is much more clinical and is based in hospitals and GP surgeries.

I hope this helps.

Barts love,
Will

It really does. Thank you.
Hi! My name is Will and I am currently a third year undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

Hi Will

I will be starting at barts next week and just have a few questions.

I am staying in dawson, and was wondering how much storage there is, e.g. Is there room for suitcases under the bed?
Also, how many plug points do you get in a room and is there one near the bed? (I have a single basic room)

And finally, how long on average do you have to wait to use the bathroom in the morning/evening? I am on the second floor, do you remember how many prople share a bathroom and the kitchen?

Thanks so much
Hi Will,

I am currently doing Biomedical Sciences at QMUL, going on to final year this month. So far I've done pretty well for the course (87% for the first year and 82% for second year) and as such think I may be able to be predicted a first class honours for the degree. My main concern is my UKCAT, which I got 650 for. Seeing that they do a 50:50 weighting on this, do you think I still have a good chance for applying?
Hi Will,

I got 11 A*s and 2 As at GCSE, and am predicted 5A*s at A-level.
I got 2180 in my UKCAT, which is an average of 727.
But my SJT score was only Band 3 - will this disadvantage my application to QMUL?
Thanks!
Original post by medstudent1010
Hello,

I was wondering if people at Barts were allowed to also go to queen Mary fresher events? And if yes is this something quite a few people do?
Also is it easy to make friends with people who don't study medicine or dentistry as a Med student

Hi there,

I like your thinking; its a good idea to make friends who aren't studying medicine or you'll end up talking about it your whole life! You are welcome to go to whatever events you like and you can certainly get involved in societies at QMUL! You may also want to head down to the QMSU for some of the social events there. It is quite easy making friends with non-medical students if you're mixing with the right people!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Arya150
If you don't mind me asking what were your GCSE and A level grades? Do GCSEs have a huge impact on your chances of getting in? What medicine related work experience did you do?

It was a while ago now and the whole GSCE and A-level systems are quite different. Therefore, it's quite irrelevant but I got 8 A grades and 3 A* grades at GCSE. I then achieved something like 2 A* grades and 2 A grades at A-level (but don't quote me on that). I got 680ish on my UKCAT. GCSEs are considered but I'm not sure to what extent.

I had 2 hospital placements in my local area. One was for a week where I was lucky enough to experience several different wards. The other was for 3 days and involved paediatrics and some out-patient clinics. I also volunteered at a care home for a few months.

I hope this helps.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by tessa.lin
Hi so I recently received my AS results and they weren't very good.

My teachers all predicted me Bs but my actual grades came to be BBCD with the D being in chemistry. I'm hoping to apply for Medicine and the entry requirement for QMUL is AAA with B in AS minimum. The subject I want to drop for Yr13 is a language in which I got a C but hope to retake it.
I'm also doing an EPQ.
Work experience wise, I worked in a care home for dementia and a day in a hospital clinic.

I'm quite worried, do I still have a chance? Or should I aim for another Uni?

Hi there, thank you for getting in touch.

Ultimately, it is up to you where you apply and for what subject. For every applicant there is risk when applying to medicine because no one is guaranteed a place, irrespective of A Levels. That said, you would have to achieve the required A-levels to have a chance. You would also need to have good GCSEs, a good UKCAT and you should be able to substantiate any work experience you've had. I would recommend speaking to someone at your school or sixth form who would be able to advise you based on all of your details.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with the future.

Barts love,
Will