The Student Room Group

Meningitis vaccine (MenACWY) for freshers

Freshers across the UK are being urged by meningitis charities to get their MenACWY vaccine before starting university.

Being exposed to new people, bacteria and viruses at the start of university makes you more susceptible to meningitis.If you're under 25 and heading to university for the first time you can protect yourself and others by getting the MenACWY vaccine free from your GP.

We recommend you visit your GP before starting university to find out more about the vaccine and arrange your immunisation.

Find out more by searching online for:

:heart: Meningitis now

:heart: Meningitis Research Foundation

MenACWY directly protects vaccinated people from four different strains of meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia (groups A, C, W and Y) and also stops them from carrying the bacteria in the back of the nose and throat.

Take care and let's #stopthespread.

:yy:
I got Bacterial Meningitis during my first year at university. Just before my exams, I was ill for a long time afterwards and failed my second year. So the university booted me despite my appealing. I'd recommend anybody having the jab as its a horrible illness and your university may not be sympathetic. I know Nottingham Trent weren't. They also never responded to any emails or phone calls from my family trying to explain where I was and what was happening.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
TU
OP
Original post by KingLhasaApso
I got Bacterial Meningitis during my first year at university. Just before my exams, I was ill for a long time afterwards and failed my second year. So the university booted me despite my appealing. I'd recommend anybody having the jab as its a horrible illness and your university may not be sympathetic. I know Nottingham Trent weren't. They also never responded to any emails or phone calls from my family trying to explain where I was and what was happening.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for helping to highlight how important it is for students to protect themselves against meningitis.

Really sad to hear you were so poorly. Hope you're fully recovered now.

Take care everyone.

TU. x.

Quick Reply

Latest