The Student Room Group

Help! I think I am going crazy or the world is crazy.

If I throw a stone at you, the same time you throw a stone at me and the stones travel at the same speed, the stones hit each of us at the same time right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. It would only hit you because I'll dodge it.
the stones have a chance of hitting each other
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
the stones have a chance of hitting each other

That is true, but we the stones have different paths in this question.
No.

Throwing trajectory, wind direction speed, targets moving all make them hitting the exact same time an almost impossibility.

Plus the odds of finding two stones with the EXACT same weight/size/shape (to account for aerodynamic drag) are in the lottery ballpark figures I imagine.
(edited 7 years ago)
We are both crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by AlbertXY
If I throw a stone at you, the same time you throw a stone at me and the stones travel at the same speed, the stones hit each of us at the same time right?

Depends on your speed
Reply 7
Original post by loooopppyyy
No.

Throwing trajectory, wind direction speed, targets moving all make them hitting the exact same time an almost impossibility.

wind speed 0, targets stationary relative to the ground.
Reply 8
Original post by Kyx
Depends on your speed

No speed, change it to bullets if you like, we shoot each other with the same make and model gun, the bullets have the same speed.

Do the bullets hit us at the same time?
Reply 9
No speed, change it to bullets if you like, we shoot each other with the same make and model gun, the bullets have the same speed.

Do the bullets hit us at the same time?

Depends on wind speed and direction
Reply 10
Original post by Kyx
Depends on wind speed and direction

There is no wind, stop being so obtuse.

The direction of the bullets is at each other in a straight line , vector x
Reply 11
There is no wind, stop being so obtuse.

The direction of the bullets is at each other in a straight line , vector x

Depends on the exact trajectory, angle, velocity, etc...
Reply 12
Original post by Kyx
Depends on the exact trajectory, angle, velocity, etc...

Ok troll, clearly you have no intention of giving an answer, I should of knew better than asking some ''dumb'' students.
Reply 13
Ok troll, clearly you have no intention of giving an answer, I should of knew better than asking some ''dumb'' students.

I think that you will find that my answers are perfectly accurate. It depends upon all of theses factors. But let's assume that everything was set up perfectly, and they hit at the same time. What was your next point?
Reply 14
Original post by Kyx
and they hit at the same time.

Well yes that is the answer.

The point is something far more complicated and I am not sure you would understand, but on your yes answer alone I know I am correct.
Reply 15
Well yes that is the answer.

The point is something far more complicated and I am not sure you would understand, but on your yes answer alone I know I am correct.

Although when I say this, I am referring to a third observer who happens to be observing from 'outside the system', as it were. If I were to shoot a bullet at you, and you at me, we would perceive them to hit at slightly different times since the speed of light is not infinite. But this is not what we are talking about, I presume?
Reply 16
Original post by Kyx
Although when I say this, I am referring to a third observer who happens to be observing from 'outside the system', as it were. If I were to shoot a bullet at you, and you at me, we would perceive them to hit at slightly different times since the speed of light is not infinite. But this is not what we are talking about, I presume?

You are already aware of my argument? It is about the speed of light and a very interesting fact or two .

So lets cut to the chase,

You stand on the Sun ( yes I know you can't really stand on the Sun).

I stand on Earth

We look at each other

Like the bullets from a gun, the Photons travel from me to you

and the photons travel from you to me

we see each other the exact same time?
OP calling us trolls for asking about certain variables, I think OP is clearly the troll here... :tongue:
You are already aware of my argument? It is about the speed of light and a very interesting fact or two .

So lets cut to the chase,

You stand on the Sun ( yes I know you can't really stand on the Sun).

I stand on Earth

We look at each other

Like the bullets from a gun, the Photons travel from me to you

and the photons travel from you to me

we see each other the exact same time?

Wait so you crucify us for asking about certain variables, then after this add in your own??
Reply 19
Original post by loooopppyyy
OP calling us trolls for asking about certain variables, I think OP is clearly the troll here... :tongue:

I stated no wind and different paths, I think you need learn to read all the posts.

Quick Reply

Latest