The Student Room Group

English lit vs history a level

I will do biology,chemistry and maths for a level I am in year 10 i received an A* in history I am going to do english lit in year 11 I am predicted an 8/9 in english lit I enjoy both can anyone compare the 2 a levels please.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I will do biology,chemistry and maths for a level I am in year 10 i received an A* in history I am going to do english lit in year 11 I am predicted an 8/9 in english lit I enjoy both can anyone compare the 2 a levels please.

The one you prefer. Just go for that one. What else could possibly matter? You can clearly do either.

I was exceptional at both, and they were the best lessons of my life.

Really well done on the A* in History, many seem to stumble on that one (and RS - if you're doing RS this year, watch out)

The workload is similar for each, so my honest advice would be go for the one you find more stimulating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Out of interest, how does a 9 compare to an A*? I got 12 A*s - I don't really want that getting tarnished...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SunnysideSea
The one you prefer. Just go for that one. What else could possibly matter? You can clearly do either.

I was exceptional at both, and they were the best lessons of my life.

Really well done on the A* in History, many seem to stumble on that one (and RS - if you're doing RS this year, watch out)

The workload is similar for each, so my honest advice would be go for the one you find more stimulating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I received an A in rs.I think I find english more stimulating to be honest.
Out of interest, how does a 9 compare to an A*? I got 12 A*s - I don't really want that getting tarnished...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A+70%
A* =80%
9=90%
my teacher said it is like a double a*.
I do both and can honestly say History is much more enjoyable for me personally. However, if you're into Shakespeare and that sort of thing, definitely do English, but if you love learning about what the past did to impact the present then go for History, but neither of them are as good as teacher's make them out to be.
Original post by laurab21
I do both and can honestly say History is much more enjoyable for me personally. However, if you're into Shakespeare and that sort of thing, definitely do English, but if you love learning about what the past did to impact the present then go for History, but neither of them are as good as teacher's make them out to be.

I enjoy writing essays but it is only because my teacher told us all the information so I am good at repeating.I enjoy poetry a bit more but i like reading books the most.
I enjoy writing essays but it is only because my teacher told us all the information so I am good at repeating.I enjoy poetry a bit more but i like reading books the most.

Well you write plenty of essays in both so I wouldn't worry about that lmao and yeh I found poetry the most interesting in English, we did Christina Rossetti but yeh, just go for whatever you enjoy them most, or just do both
Original post by laurab21
Well you write plenty of essays in both so I wouldn't worry about that lmao and yeh I found poetry the most interesting in English, we did Christina Rossetti but yeh, just go for whatever you enjoy them most, or just do both

I to be honest wanted to do physics but my parents won't let me as htey claim that i am very good at english etc and they were worried if it may be too hard for me to do 3 sciences and maths.
I to be honest wanted to do physics but my parents won't let me as htey claim that i am very good at english etc and they were worried if it may be too hard for me to do 3 sciences and maths.

What?! Don't listen to your parents, do what you're going to enjoy most, I ignored what my parents told me to do and I'm so glad I did, and you only need three subjects at the end of it so if you really don't enjoy one option, you can always drop it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

From AQA-

'New GCSEs will be graded 9–1, rather than A*–G, with grade 5 considered a good pass and grade 9 being the highest and set above the current A*. The new system is intended to help provide more differentiation, especially among higher achieving students.'

So it's essentially a grade above A* as they felt people who weren't deserving were being labeled exceptional in certain subjects.

I can understand it for something like the sciences - roughly 10% of applicants for triple science respectively get an A*. However, for things like MFL, where a high proportions of the top grades are native speakers, I don't think it's fair to have anything harder than the current exams - WJEC is asking for 19/20 on each piece of coursework for an A*, so I can only presume a 9 would be 20/20?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest