The Student Room Group

Killer things for your personal statement list [academic/science/medicine]

Hi,I made this thread as a way to share any killer experiences/achievements for your personal statement, so that we can all learn off each other too some degree (but we obviously draw our own individual. I guess I'll start.

Yesterday our school recommended that we check out studenthub.org.uk . Not sure if anyone on here has used it as it seems quite new (thank god its coming out this year of all years!). From what I gather its a platform through which you can actually publish your work in a magazine and website, so stuff like essays/literature reviews etc. My sister whose in med school said that she would definitely recommend it, as the uni admission team will love it, because publishing work/write-ups are a massive part of the uni course, so it hopefully will be looked on favourably as it lets you hit the ground running. Write-ups/essays aren't really my cup of tea, but I think its worth giving a go as an article in an academic journal sounds pretty impressive. :tongue:

It says that there are also editorial roles soon, if anyone's interested. I'm practically useless at English so i'm not going to bother, but it may be useful for someone else who is somewhat competent.

So far this is probably going to be the killer point on my PS, but does anyone have any other things they could share? I think this is probably going to be my core point as it sounds pretty impressive getting published, but if anyone else has any more ideas that would be great!
Reply 1
Oh, and this is the right forum for this right?

Original post by qwertyfish
Hi,I made this thread as a way to share any killer experiences/achievements for your personal statement, so that we can all learn off each other too some degree (but we obviously draw our own individual. I guess I'll start.

Yesterday our school recommended that we check out studenthub.org.uk . Not sure if anyone on here has used it as it seems quite new (thank god its coming out this year of all years!). From what I gather its a platform through which you can actually publish your work in a magazine and website, so stuff like essays/literature reviews etc. My sister whose in med school said that she would definitely recommend it, as the uni admission team will love it, because publishing work/write-ups are a massive part of the uni course, so it hopefully will be looked on favourably as it lets you hit the ground running. Write-ups/essays aren't really my cup of tea, but I think its worth giving a go as an article in an academic journal sounds pretty impressive. :tongue:

It says that there are also editorial roles soon, if anyone's interested. I'm practically useless at English so i'm not going to bother, but it may be useful for someone else who is somewhat competent.

So far this is probably going to be the killer point on my PS, but does anyone have any other things they could share? I think this is probably going to be my core point as it sounds pretty impressive getting published, but if anyone else has any more ideas that would be great!
Reply 2
I read the Feynman's Lectures vol I which impressed by physics tutor quite a lot. I suggest anyone applying to do physics to read it.
I've been volunteering for the NHS for 6 months. It's pretty much what everyone does these days (volunteering at a hospital) but the fact that i've done it for so long shows i'm committed and dedicated and that I really do have a passion for Radiography. That's probably my killer point on my personal statement so I would definitely recommend doing as much work experience as you can. :smile:

I also have a Solitaire Award which is given to volunteers who have been volunteering for a very long time. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I increased conference sales >10% for 3 years on the trot at my previous job. I also held the record for my company for being the fastest employee to be promoted continuously up to a certain point. That's the advantage of being a mature student though.
For anyone starting on their Personal Statement, why not check out the following Mindmap that we have just created on the subject?

Hope this help! and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

UniAdmissions
Reply 6

I've just submitted my article! Really hoping it will get accepted :s
I've just submitted my article! Really hoping it will get accepted :s

That site is hosted by GoDaddy and belongs to some 16 year old from milton keynes :indiff:
There are STEM courses on villiers park and the K+ programme by KCL. Both gave me killer experiences to put in my ps like touring and doing practicals at Abcam and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. I got offers from 4 russell group unis if that helps at all (5th choice was not RG).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending