The Student Room Group

Italy: 10,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean in 48 hours

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MildredMalone
Urgh, just why? A few fatalities would make people less likely to cross the Med, which is a good thing.

o_0

tbh I think people would still take the risk
this will destroy our countries if we don't stop is soon and undo the damage already done.
Original post by Mathemagicien

Italians run a surprisingly efficient taxi service.

True. The baffling thing is that they pick them up a short distance off the Libyan coast and take them all the way to Italy. Commonsense would indicate a short tow back to the Libyan coast is all that is required to save their lives and also to show those on shore awaiting a trip to Italy that they are wasting their time and money.
Reply 4
Dammnnn subhanallah that's amazing :eek:

Urgh, just why? A few fatalities would make people less likely to cross the Med, which is a good thing.

Some people would rather die than live the way they do back there, surviving the trip is probably just a bonus to them
Its the swarm of the locusts

We're all human - how could deaths possibly be a good thing? I can understand possibly wanting a deterrent (though I personally disagree with that), but I can't comprehend why you'd prefer people to die. We're no different from them.
Original post by BaconandSauce
this will destroy our countries if we don't stop is soon and undo the damage already done.

Thats the plan, ready for a world government under facism
Reply 8
Shame we can't blockade the Italians, so long as free movement remains this is a problem for us all and the Italians cannot be permitted to carry on polluting the continent with the third world.
Original post by Mathemagicien
About 3,000 migrants were picked up Tuesday from the central Mediterranean, the Italian coastguard said, raising to around 10,000 the rescue tally over the past 48 hours.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nearly-7-000-migrants-rescued-off-libyan-coast-1472559070

Their boats too weak and technically unequipped for a voyage across the stretch of the Mediterranean to the shores of Italy, the migrants had set off with a small amount of gasoline in the overcrowded vessels, hoping to make it at least 15-20 miles out to sea and reach awaiting rescuers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/29/around-6500-migrants-rescued-off-libya-coast-in-major-operation/

Italians run a surprisingly efficient taxi service.

As much as I'm against the complete opening of borders to migrants, this is still very good news.
Reply 10
Original post by KingBradly
As much as I'm against the complete opening of borders to migrants, this is still very good news.
I would like to see your workings
Reply 11
They are all from Eriteria this time a strong message must be sent to these people that Europe isn't paved with gold. They should stay and fix their own countries and make it a better place to live
(edited 7 years ago)

I often like many of your posts, so I know that you are not some libtard. However, you have to pick a side, you either pick up the boat people and destroy our civilisation, or you let them die, and save the civilisation.
I think of it like this, how many people will die as a result of violence when Europe collapses and falls into a variety of civil wars / insurgencies, whatever the number will be, it will be a lot more than the number of people who would drown.
(edited 7 years ago)
10,000 in 48hrs?
Deary me, Bob Geldhof better start building an extension to go with the.......how many did he take in again?

Fatalities don't stop people, taking them back to Africa would. Thousands have already died this year, but people still risk it because they know if they're rescued they will be taken to Europe, which encourages. Look at Australia, a few years back they started a policy of returning their migrants to their source of origin, funnily enough nobody drowns anymore because they only have a few boatloads try it each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is encouraging people to risk their lives in the name of economic migration just to live in squalor and erode European values a good thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why is encouraging people to risk their lives in the name of economic migration just to live in squalor and erode European values a good thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by The_Opinion
I often like many of your posts, so I know that you are not some libtard. However, you have to pick a side, you either pick up the boat people and destroy our civilisation, or you let them die, and save the civilisation.
I think of it like this, how many people will die as a result of violence when Europe collapses and falls into a variety of civil wars / insurgencies, whatever the number will be, it will be a lot more than the number of people who would drown.

It would be great if they were taken to a Muslim country.

You didn't answer yje question, and they came from a Muslim country, through Muslim countries, to try to get to the rich countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Makes literally no sense to have ships waiting practically on their coastline taking them to Italy, tow/take them back to land..as in the land they just departed from...which if they're only getting 15 miles will well be visible.

Whilst i agree, you didn't really address the point, its kind of like saying "i want everybody to be happy", it is hard to disagree with that, but the statement is idealistic and can never be achieved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending