The Student Room Group

Is there any harm in taking medication this way?

I have rhinitis which is like an allergy that causes me to have a blocked/runny nose every day of the year and nasal polyps too if not controlled. Although I've had skin and blood allergy tests and they were negative so I don't know what triggers/causes it. Antihistamines help though so I'm assuming it is an allergy.

Anyway I also take a steroid nasal spray (nasonex -mometasone) daily and some nasal drops (fluticasone) when symptoms feel bad/it feels blocked. I've found that the nasonex didn't help all that much and that I was still getting the blocked feeling. However rather than spraying nasonex up my nose I started to spray the substance into a small cap, lie so my nose is upside down and then tip it into my nose. I found that the med really gets into my sinuses this way and my nose has felt less blocked. I was wondering Is there any harm in using it as drops rather than a spray though? I can't see why there would be but then surely if my method was best then the medical profession would have directed us to use it as a drop rather than spray.. That's why I'm wondering is it ok for me to take it like this I definately every day of the year?
Original post by Anonymous
I have rhinitis which is like an allergy that causes me to have a blocked/runny nose every day of the year and nasal polyps too if not controlled. Although I've had skin and blood allergy tests and they were negative so I don't know what triggers/causes it. Antihistamines help though so I'm assuming it is an allergy.

Anyway I also take a steroid nasal spray (nasonex -mometasone) daily and some nasal drops (fluticasone) when symptoms feel bad/it feels blocked. I've found that the nasonex didn't help all that much and that I was still getting the blocked feeling. However rather than spraying nasonex up my nose I started to spray the substance into a small cap, lie so my nose is upside down and then tip it into my nose. I found that the med really gets into my sinuses this way and my nose has felt less blocked. I was wondering Is there any harm in using it as drops rather than a spray though? I can't see why there would be but then surely if my method was best then the medical profession would have directed us to use it as a drop rather than spray.. That's why I'm wondering is it ok for me to take it like this I definately every day of the year?

If they ve prescribed them to you with those instructions and it's not working well enough why not ask for a alternative instead?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If they ve prescribed them to you with those instructions and it's not working well enough why not ask for a alternative instead?

I've tried other things (avamys etc) I was told that nasonex was the best for my symptoms as its intended for nasal polyps too.
Original post by Anonymous
I've tried other things (avamys etc) I was told that nasonex was the best for my symptoms as its intended for nasal polyps too.

ask your pharmacist if there any issues taking the medication in this way and/or discuss it with your doctor... no one on TSR is likely to know the possible benefits/harm from doing it

Quick Reply

Latest