The Student Room Group

GCSE`s -Can someone help me find out how many marks I need to get to the next grade

I really need help I dont understand the results sheet and the results or the grades on the exam board websites and I kind of got bad results so I was wondering if someone can help me find out how many marks away I was from the next grade so I can decide which ones to get remarked...
I would honestly appreciate it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Results
Original post by Anonymous
I really need help I dont understand the results sheet and the results or the grades on the exam board websites and I kind of got bad results so I was wondering if someone can help me find out how many marks away I was from the next grade so I can decide which ones to get remarked...
I would honestly appreciate it!

I'm happy to do it, but you need to post your results or no one can tell how close you were to the grade boundary
Reply 3
Original post by Lemur14
I'm happy to do it, but you need to post your results or no one can tell how close you were to the grade boundary

Hi was going to make a thread but then I came across this. would you be able to tell me how many more raw marks I need to get a B instead of a C overall ?

Here are my results:
image.jpeg
Original post by JackT2000
Hi was going to make a thread but then I came across this. would you be able to tell me how many more raw marks I need to get a B instead of a C overall ?

Here are my results:
image.jpeg

13 raw marks or 11 if all the marks are in the physics. Nice mark on your ISA btw :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Here are my results:
image.jpeg

You were 11 marks off

Here are my results:
image.jpeg

If you did higher, I would get c1 and p1 remarked as you were quite close to a C in both and your controlled assessment (which you did brilliantly on Well done) could possibly help get you a B overall :smile:
You got 19/60 raw marks on your B1 paper which gets you 42 UMS (D).
You got 28/60 raw marks on your C1 paper which gets you 47 UMS (D).
You got 20/60 raw marks on your P1 paper which gets you 46 UMS (D).
You got 46/48 raw marks on your CA which gets you 78 UMS (A*)
Overall, you got 213 UMS which is a C.
In order to get a B, you need 224 UMS, which means you need 11 more UMS,
11 UMS is equivalent to :

13 marks on your B1 paper

14 marks on your C1 paper

11 marks on your P1 papers

5 marks on your B1 paper and 4 marks on your C1 paper and 4 marks on your P1 paper.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend a remark.
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14

Can you help me please? Am I close to getting a higher grade in any of these? Is it worth getting a remark on any? Thank you for any help.
Original post by JMF1
Can you help me please? Am I close to getting a higher grade in any of these? Is it worth getting a remark on any? Thank you for any help.

For English Language you needed 210 UMS for a B. You scored 199. That means you were about 5 marks off. It's possible to go up this much on a remark but pretty unlikely.
For Lit you scored 128 UMS. For a B you needed 140. Again, probably not worth the cost of appealing, especially because you would need both papers to be checked.

The AQA boundaries are posted here http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

You would also need to look at the ratio of actual marks to UMS scores. Again, for AQA that's here http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

To make it even more complicated, you also need to know your marks for coursework and exam. If in doubt, speak to your exams officer who should have the information you need.
Reply 10
Original post by Lit teacher
For English Language you needed 210 UMS for a B. You scored 199. That means you were about 5 marks off. It's possible to go up this much on a remark but pretty unlikely.
For Lit you scored 128 UMS. For a B you needed 140. Again, probably not worth the cost of appealing, especially because you would need both papers to be checked.

The AQA boundaries are posted here http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

You would also need to look at the ratio of actual marks to UMS scores. Again, for AQA that's here http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

To make it even more complicated, you also need to know your marks for coursework and exam. If in doubt, speak to your exams officer who should have the information you need.

Thank you
Original post by JMF1

Sorry for the delay in replying, I typed everything up in notepad then my computer crashed and I had to start the calculations again :cry:
Maths--> because they don't provide the ums/raw marks, you can't tell, sorry!

Business-->need 4ums
unit 1 4 raw marks from this unit
unit 2 4 raw marks from this unit
unit 5 2.5 raw marks from this unit
could be worth a remark particularly if unit 5 is able to be remarked

citizenship-->7 ums needed
unit 1 6 raw marks needed
can't tell how much for the other units as the ums is not shown in the picture
unlikely to be worth a remark

English lang-->11ums needed
unlikely to be worth it

English lit-->12ums needed
unlikely to be worth it

Geography-->31 ums needed
more likely to go down than up a grade tbh, definitely don't remark this

History--> 3ums needed
definitely could be worth remarking this unless it was the controlled assessment which brought the grade down

ICT-->6ums needed
Possible, but unlikely for it to go up, probably not worth it

Science B-->18 ums needed
Very unlikely to go up

Additional Science B-->39 ums needed
definitely don't remark this. if you lose 2 ums, it will go down to a C and there's almost a 0 chance of getting to an A

HTH
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by BobBobson
You got 19/60 raw marks on your B1 paper which gets you 42 UMS (D).
You got 28/60 raw marks on your C1 paper which gets you 47 UMS (D).
You got 20/60 raw marks on your P1 paper which gets you 46 UMS (D).
You got 46/48 raw marks on your CA which gets you 78 UMS (A*)
Overall, you got 213 UMS which is a C.
In order to get a B, you need 224 UMS, which means you need 11 more UMS,
11 UMS is equivalent to :

13 marks on your B1 paper

14 marks on your C1 paper

11 marks on your P1 papers

5 marks on your B1 paper and 4 marks on your C1 paper and 4 marks on your P1 paper.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend a remark.

hi i was wondering if you could let me know how you work out the raw marks from the ums marks? :smile:
Original post by ft.xo
hi i was wondering if you could let me know how you work out the raw marks from the ums marks? :smile:

On edexcel they have a ums converter which you put in the paper code and ums and it tells you the raw mark. For the other exam boards it's more complicated but on AQA you can do something similar on their website. On OCR you pretty much just have to guess based on many factors which I won't go into now lol
Just had the English re-marks back for our school. Four stayed the same, three went up a grade (by 5 UMS, 5 UMS and 3 UMS) and two dropped a couple of marks but it didn't affect the final grade. That suggests a 33% success rate, but only if you are close to the border.
Reply 15
Original post by Lemur14
On edexcel they have a ums converter which you put in the paper code and ums and it tells you the raw mark. For the other exam boards it's more complicated but on AQA you can do something similar on their website. On OCR you pretty much just have to guess based on many factors which I won't go into now lol

Thank you so much. Replied to wrong thing :smile:
Original post by JMF1
Thank you so much. Replied to wrong thing :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Lemur14

could you possibly send a link to the edexcel ums converter please?
Original post by ft.xo
could you possibly send a link to the edexcel ums converter please?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/converting-marks-points-and-grades.html#tab-EdexcelUMSmarkconverter
I think this links to it ^
Quote me again if it doesn't lol

Quick Reply

Latest