The Student Room Group

How do I know if a girl is only after my money?

I need advice. I have a girlfriend who likes to live a certain way due to her family back ground. We both come from affluent families and I am worried that she is only with me because I can provide the sort of lifestyle she has become accustomed too

Scroll to see replies

If you suspect something is wrong then it probably is. But if she's given you no reason to believe that she's after your money then maybe you're just imagining things!

This might sound outrageous, but you could always say that your family are going through a tough time financially and that you'll have to budget more, and see how she reacts? I'm not sure that lying in a relationship is the solution, but it's not a lie that will hurt anyone and if she genuinely likes you for you then she'll understand. She'll obviously deny it if you approach her directly and I can't imagine that would help your relationship in any way.
What is it thats making you feel like she's after your money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
"Daddy please buy me that gold ring"
Original post by UWS
"Daddy please buy me that gold ring"
Why not diamond? :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by hamza772000
Why not diamond? :redface:

Then it's too obvious :wink:

Gold Diggers gotta stay low profile
Original post by UWS
Then it's too obvious :wink:

Gold Diggers gotta stay low profile
Hmm....you sound experienced :colone:

Spoiler

they kind of always are - "most of them" is a very fair statement - if you tell a man that he should pay for the first date and it's apparently not seixst against men as a gender to have that expectation, why is it sexist to expect women to do cooking and cleaning? because women are allowed to be gold diggers
*to
sorry - had to

Spoiler

Dial back on the luxuries and see how she reacts. A true gold digger won't be able to stand it.
If she feels entitled to stuff from you
Reply 11
Original post by sleepysnooze
they kind of always are - "most of them" is a very fair statement - if you tell a man that he should pay for the first date and it's apparently not seixst against men as a gender to have that expectation, why is it sexist to expect women to do cooking and cleaning? because women are allowed to be gold diggers

Seems legit...
Or maybe the guy chooses to offer to pay, and girls just accept. I haven't known of a single girl who has 'told' a guy to pay, but most guys seem affronted if you ask them not to 😜
Your suggestion is kinda like a guy paying a girl to do housework, which isn't a relationship..?
Original post by Ezme39
Seems legit...
Or maybe the guy chooses to offer to pay, and girls just accept. I haven't known of a single girl who has 'told' a guy to pay, but most guys seem affronted if you ask them not to 😜
Your suggestion is kinda like a guy paying a girl to do housework, which isn't a relationship..?

"Affronted" is definitely the wrong word, I don't know anyone who would be literally insulted or offended if a girl offered to split the bill 50/50 for a date, rather than the man paying 100%.
Does she ever offer to pay or does she ever buy you anything? If you seem to be paying for everything all the time and she doesn't even go halves then you might have a problem. Try cutting back on spending money and see if she says anything. Also look to see if she asks to go out to nice restaurants etc, then suggest going some where cheaper and see how she takes it.
Go with your gut feeling. Do you feel a spark and chemistry between each other in terms of the emotional side of the relationship. I think that can be very telling.
Original post by Juedjegfewo
"Affronted" is definitely the wrong word, I don't know anyone who would be literally insulted or offended if a girl offered to split the bill 50/50 for a date, rather than the man paying 100%.

I wasn't talking about guys being offended - I was talking about girls being offended, by a guy not paying for it all...if you don't pay for a girl on a date, she will most likely stop dating you because girls are just like that. I was talking to my mother and sister about this the other day and they basically agreed with me completely, even though my point was that they were being chauvinistic against men
Original post by sleepysnooze
I wasn't talking about guys being offended - I was talking about girls being offended, by a guy not paying for it all...if you don't pay for a girl on a date, she will most likely stop dating you because girls are just like that. I was talking to my mother and sister about this the other day and they basically agreed with me completely, even though my point was that they were being chauvinistic against men

I wasn't talking to you? When did you use the word "affronted"
Original post by Anonymous
I need advice. I have a girlfriend who likes to live a certain way due to her family back ground. We both come from affluent families and I am worried that she is only with me because I can provide the sort of lifestyle she has become accustomed too

she won't offer to split the bill when eating/going out places together.
Original post by Anonymous

Keep it simple and make your relationship less about money.

Dont buy expensive gifts.
Dont pay for everything but go Dutch.
Do inexpensive activities
Talk to each other.

If she is after money , then she will soon start complaining.
Just because she comes from an affluent background it doesn't mean she has access to any money herself. Does she work? Is she a student? Maybe she has very little to live on .

Quick Reply