The Student Room Group

Should I do and AS level to increase my uni chances?

I've recently completed an Access to HE course and didn't quite get the grades I was hoping for (passes and merits only) and I will be taking a year out before I go to uni so I can save some money and redo GCSE maths, and I was thinking if it would be worth taking an AS level in this time to hopefully "up my grades" and increase my chances of going to a better university, is this worth it or should I just focus on my GCSE maths and hope that my current grades will be enough?
To clarify, I'm planning on doing a degree in Zoology and my Access course included Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Further Chemistry and Algebra and I'm thinking of doing AS Geography which is an accepted science in the entry requirements at most universities.

Since Geography has always been a strong subject of mine and I took it as an option in school, I figured that if I get a good grade in this, it would make my application more desirable?
I don't know how much it would help.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I don't know how much it would help.

I just figured that since I have a year out and I'll only be doing GCSE maths, maybe picking up an AS level would go in my favour, say I get an A in AS Geography, surely that would help to overlook that I got only passes in Chemistry?
Bump? :redface:
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Bump? :redface:

I'd like an answer too :dontknow:
Bump againnn - hoping for an answer before my local college closes enrolment :colondollar:
:cry2:
Bumpppp ~
Nah, you did more subjects relevant to your course so it should be fine, depending on the AS tho like if you did a science it could maybe help
Original post by frankielogue
Nah, you did more subjects relevant to your course so it should be fine, depending on the AS tho like if you did a science it could maybe help

I'm just worried about the fact that the majority of my access credits are at a pass (C grade equivalent) which is lower than most universities entry requirements (which are on average ABB for A level or mostly Distinctions and Merits for Access)
I'm just worried about the fact that the majority of my access credits are at a pass (C grade equivalent) which is lower than most universities entry requirements (which are on average ABB for A level or mostly Distinctions and Merits for Access)

do an as level in a science maybe
Original post by frankielogue
do an as level in a science maybe

That's why I was considering geography because it's a recognised science for Zoology, and it's something that I haven't yet done at Level 3...

Look at foundation years, and contact universities you are interested in to ask them what would make you more attractive to them before doing something on a whim which may have no real benefit.
That's why I was considering geography because it's a recognised science for Zoology, and it's something that I haven't yet done at Level 3...

try it then
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Look at foundation years, and contact universities you are interested in to ask them what would make you more attractive to them before doing something on a whim which may have no real benefit.

Yeah it seems like the best thing to do... I was hoping to avoid a foundation year if I could but it looks to be my most likely option.
Yeah it seems like the best thing to do... I was hoping to avoid a foundation year if I could but it looks to be my most likely option.

TBH I'd think so.

Quick Reply

Latest