The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:

I'm in a difficult situation at the moment. On results day, I missed my offer of A*AA (Linguistics, Queens' ) and got AAA, and subsequently failed to make it out of the summer pool. I have since had a remark on my English exam paper and gone up to A*AA as of 11am this morning:biggrin:.

I have phoned and emailed Queens' to let them know, but I'm worried that they've filled my place for 2016, and that I won't be able to go until 2017. In any case, will I have a place guaranteed, regardless of whether it is for 2016 or 2017 entry?

Thanks for your help!
Alex
Original post by loveexams

I'm in a difficult situation at the moment. On results day, I missed my offer of A*AA (Linguistics, Queens' ) and got AAA, and subsequently failed to make it out of the summer pool. I have since had a remark on my English exam paper and gone up to A*AA as of 11am this morning:biggrin:.

I have phoned and emailed Queens' to let them know, but I'm worried that they've filled my place for 2016, and that I won't be able to go until 2017. In any case, will I have a place guaranteed, regardless of whether it is for 2016 or 2017 entry?

Thanks for your help!
Alex

Firstly, incredible!
I am fairly sure they say conditionals need to be met by 31st of August.
Keep on ringing until they reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Firstly, incredible!
I am fairly sure they say conditionals need to be met by 31st of August.
Keep on ringing until they reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :redface: I'm going to call them in about half an hour to see what's going on. I can't imagine that it's going to be convenient for them to sort out my entry for this year, if they are still in a position to honour their original offer. If only WJEC had given me the correct grade in the first place...
what happens when you change course after the first year? Do you do the whole three year course in two years? And what degree do you get in the end? Thanks
Reply 1064
Original post by jdizzle12345
what happens when you change course after the first year? Do you do the whole three year course in two years? And what degree do you get in the end? Thanks

Do you literally want to die?
Original post by alow

I thought it sounded weird but I read this on the law undergraduate page and i got the impression that if you change course then it is done in two years.
"It's desirable to study law for two years wherever possible, since it's not possible to pass all seven 'foundation' subjects at Cambridge in less than two years.If your first subject has a two-year Part I, you need to consider the implications especially the financial implications of four years as an undergraduate."
Original post by alow

LOL and PRSOM

I thought it sounded weird but I read this on the law undergraduate page and i got the impression that if you change course then it is done in two years.
"It's desirable to study law for two years wherever possible, since it's not possible to pass all seven 'foundation' subjects at Cambridge in less than two years.If your first subject has a two-year Part I, you need to consider the implications especially the financial implications of four years as an undergraduate."

I think it'd depend on from what course you/re switching from and to which course, and also how well you've doing in the first course.
If two courses are quite similar in nature and overlaps a lot of things and you have done the sort of papers that's sufficient for the new course, it's possible you'll be just transferred to the second year of the new course, but if not, maybe you start from the first year.

I wait for @Christ's Admissions to come and correct me....again. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I am applying for the Theology, Religion and Philosophy of Religion course. In my Religious Studies A Level I got a high A in my philosophy exam (98 UMS) but a low B in my ethics exam (70) averaging out at a low A. Will this inconsistency be a cause for concern?

Does this course have a UMS cut-off point?

What makes a brilliant personal statement?
Original post by loveexams

Thanks for your help!
Alex

Well done on making the offer. It must have been a difficult couple of weeks! You've met the offer by the end of 31 August and therefore Queens' will take you this year.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
There's no need to worry about not having done GCSEs, it's quite common for people just to come to the UK for their A Levels.

UMS at AS Level has traditionally been an important part of the process of decision making. It will still be useful for us where it is available but won't be used in the same way as before as it is going to be incomplete due to the reformed subjects.

With your current results I believe that you will be a competitive applicant at this stage. The number of 'supermen' or 'superwomen' applicants with straight full marks is very much lower than people imagine. Last year for Physical Nat Sci (the course you will be applying through), there were 1053 people with a Science UMS average (the best three Science/Maths scores at AS). Of those just 12 or 1.14% had a UMS average of 99.0% or above. About 18% had a Science UMS average of 96% or above, so there are a lot of very strong applicants but very few with 'perfect' or 'near perfect' results.

Thank you for the detailed reply. It is very helpful.

Would you mind if I raise another question? I would like to know if Chemical Engineering (via Natural Sciences) applicants will be mixed up with Physical Natural Sciences applicants and be considered as one same group during the selection process.

Considering the fact that places for Chemical Engineering are quite limited (1-6 students per college) but there are many more places for Natural Sciences (~30 students per college, assuming the biological and physical side each occupies 50% then ~15 students per college are accepted for physical Nat. Sci), would applying to Natural Sciences gives you a better chance of succeeding? (Since Nat Sci and Chem Eng are virtually interchangeable, applying to either does not seem to have a huge difference)
(edited 7 years ago)

It varies from subject to subject but no you wouldn't normally do the whole course. In subjects that have a two year Part II you would just continue and do that in two years. In subjects with a two year Part I and a one year Part II you would normally do that in two years having changed after the second year.

At the end you get the same degree as everybody in Cambridge gets, a BA.
It varies from subject to subject but no you wouldn't normally do the whole course. In subjects that have a two year Part II you would just continue and do that in two years. In subjects with a two year Part I and a one year Part II you would normally do that in two years having changed after the second year.

At the end you get the same degree as everybody in Cambridge gets, a BA.

Ah, that's how it works.
I know several students who switched their course either after the first year or the second year, but hadn't made the connection between how they switched & length of Part I/II. Is that the reason for difference in length for Part I /II for each course?
And if your course has two year Part I, you can only switch to other course after completing Part I = after the second year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hariex
Hi, I am applying for the Theology, Religion and Philosophy of Religion course. In my Religious Studies A Level I got a high A in my philosophy exam (98 UMS) but a low B in my ethics exam (70) averaging out at a low A. Will this inconsistency be a cause for concern?

Does this course have a UMS cut-off point?

What makes a brilliant personal statement?

There is no UMS cut off point. Under the old A Levels 85% best three average was a benchmark we expected competitive candidates to be above but under the new A levels that no longer exists.

It's difficult to say with students with inconsistencies in their scores. Different people will look at them in different ways. Some will say, well it's clear that the candidate is able to perform very highly, while others will say that the candidate has shown significant weakness in certain areas. The people assessing your application are human beings and will have different human reactions so there will not be a standard 'Cambridge' reaction to this type of profile. What we would be doing is looking at the other parts of the application to see which result is more consistent with the rest of the application - the good one or the bad one.
Original post by ML8020
Thank you for the detailed reply. It is very helpful.

Would you mind if I raise another question? I would like to know if Chemical Engineering (via Natural Sciences) applicants will be mixed up with Physical Natural Sciences applicants and be considered as one same group during the selection process.

Considering the fact that places for Chemical Engineering are quite limited (1-6 students per college) but there are many more places for Natural Sciences (~30 students per college, assuming the biological and physical side each occupies 50% then ~15 students per college are accepted for physical Nat. Sci), would applying to Natural Sciences gives you a better chance of succeeding? (Since Nat Sci and Chem Eng are virtually interchangeable, applying to either does not seem to have a huge difference)

Things vary from college to college as to how they deal with Chem Eng applicants. Some will have a fixed idea about how many Chem Eng students they want (across Nat Sci and Engineering) while others will simply put them in with the other Nat Scis or Engineers and if they are good enough they get an offer. That's what we do at Christ's.
Original post by vincrows
Ah, that's how it works.
I know several students who switched their course either after the first year or the second year, but hadn't made the connection between how they switched & length of Part I/II. Is that the reason for difference in length for Part I /II for each course?
And if your course has two year Part I, you can only switch to other course after completing Part I = after the second year?

Strictly speaking it's not possible to start a Part II without having completed a Part I though very occasionally this does happen. The length of the Part in each course is up to the department themselves to determine.
Hi, I'm hoping to apply to do Physical Natural Sciences and I have a question about the application process that hopefully you may be able to answer.

Are Cambridge requesting raw marks for the reformed AS/A levels? I have asked various teachers and have looked online at the Cambridge website and so far have yet to find any clear statement saying how Cambridge were going to be approaching the reformed AS. This is quite significant in my circumstances as my AS grades were good, but the actual raw marks were relatively poor (e.g. they would not have been 85%+ UMS).
Original post by violavenisis
Hi, I'm hoping to apply to do Physical Natural Sciences and I have a question about the application process that hopefully you may be able to answer.

Are Cambridge requesting raw marks for the reformed AS/A levels? I have asked various teachers and have looked online at the Cambridge website and so far have yet to find any clear statement saying how Cambridge were going to be approaching the reformed AS. This is quite significant in my circumstances as my AS grades were good, but the actual raw marks were relatively poor (e.g. they would not have been 85%+ UMS).

We are not asking for AS raw marks in reformed subjects. Schools can submit them in the reference if they want to.
We are not asking for AS raw marks in reformed subjects. Schools can submit them in the reference if they want to.

Is that with just Christ's college, or all of Cambridge university?
The way we collect the data is that we count the number of A*s and As but we would, of course, notice the proportion. We don't look at either mechanistically but dynamically.

Sorry if this is annoying now but just to put it into perspective: which is nicer, 10 A*s or 10 A*s and 2 As?
Original post by violavenisis
Is that with just Christ's college, or all of Cambridge university?

It's a Cambridge policy. It's only been agreed recently, hence it not being on the website.

Latest

Trending

Trending