The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are the best A Levels if you want to do Economics at LSE?

I am about to choose my A Level options. My dream is to do Economics at LSE! I hear that Universities (especially the elite ones) are really tired of the usual A Levels for certain courses, e.g Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics for Medicine!

Does anyone who has experience of this know what would be the best A Levels to take to maximise my appeal to the LSE for the Economics course?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths, Further Maths, Economics + Anything else (would suggest you do 4 at AS then drop one (which is not Maths) or keep it if you do good in all 4)
(edited 7 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by dp00
I am about to choose my A Level options. My dream is to do Economics at LSE! I hear that Universities (especially the elite ones) are really tired of the usual A Levels for certain courses, e.g Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics for Medicine!

Does anyone who has experience of this know what would be the best A Levels to take to maximise my appeal to the LSE for the Economics course?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

90 percent of people who get in have taken economics, so id take it.
They said they welcome people with essay based subjects, and could have said a number of subjects afterwards, but said history. So again, I'd take it.
Mathematics is required, and Further mathematics will be useful.
So there you have it, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics and History.
Maths, Further Maths, Econ, Physics - cheeky combo that will get in you if you get 2 or 3 A*'s
Original post by AdeptDz
Maths, Further Maths, Economics + Anything else (would suggest you do 4 at AS then drop one (which is not Maths) or keep it if you do good in all 3)
Would it be okay for me to take Further Maths at AS ONLY?
Thanks for replying!
If you pick Further Maths, they won't take that as an A Level entry requirement for straight Economics and they'll put you onto the application for Economics and Mathematics.

So, unless you want to do Econ and Maths and not straight Econ, don't pick further maths- unless it is your fourth choice A2. Call them up and check that, it may be different.

I suggest Mathematics, Economics and anything else from Philosophy, English, a science, anthropology, something in the arts.

See what options you have at the place you're studying, even a language would be great.

Where else are you applying? I mean, the best Economics institutions alongside LSE are Oxbridge, Warwick and UCL too, and they pretty much all are attracted to the same A2s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by LifeIsFine
90 percent of people who get in have taken economics, so id take it.
They said they welcome people with essay based subjects, and could have said a number of subjects afterwards, but said history. So again, I'd take it.
Mathematics is required, and Further mathematics will be useful.
So there you have it, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics and History.

It's more correlation than causation.

It's more likely that someone who has taken an A-level in subject X who wants to study subject X at uni, than someone who doesn't.

But yeah - Maths, FM, economics, history, any traditional science and politics are all good subjects to take.
Reply 7
Original post by dp00
Thanks for replying!

Oh, my bad. Peter may be right, i was assuming you wanted to do with maths with economics, if that is the case, then AS further maths is accepted aswell (as a 4th), iirc, check their entry requirements to be honest, easiest way to find out
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
It's more correlation than causation.

It's more likely that someone who has taken an A-level in subject X who wants to study subject X at uni, than someone who doesn't.

But yeah - Maths, FM, economics, history, any traditional science and politics are all good subjects to take.

True, I could have said that if you want to do economics at uni, why not a-level? It does say on LSE's website that it
'can be particularly recommended as valuable'
Reply 9
Original post by LifeIsFine
True, I could have said that if you want to do economics at uni, why not a-level? It does say on LSE's website that it
'can be particularly recommended as valuable'

AFAIK pretty much every economics course covers the A-level in Y1. Valuable in this case = allows student to kick feet back.
Original post by jamestg
AFAIK pretty much every economics course covers the A-level in Y1. Valuable in this case = allows student to kick feet back.

Well if its LSE, It probably means 'work a very little bit less, and spend the rest of that time looking for banking spring weeks'
Original post by PeterhouseKIL
If you pick Further Maths, they won't take that as an A Level entry requirement for straight Economics and they'll put you onto the application for Economics and Mathematics.

So, unless you want to do Econ and Maths and not straight Econ, don't pick further maths- unless it is your fourth choice A2. Call them up and check that, it may be different.

I suggest Mathematics, Economics and anything else from Philosophy, English, a science, anthropology, something in the arts.

See what options you have at the place you're studying, even a language would be great.

Where else are you applying? I mean, the best Economics institutions alongside LSE are Oxbridge, Warwick and UCL too, and they pretty much all are attracted to the same A2s.
Thanks for the advice! So if I wanted to to financial economics at LSE, could i not take FM at AS ONLY?
Original post by JohnGreek
Wasn't Econ B supposed to be available for those who had covered Economics at school? From the content in it, it certainly appears that some knowledge is assumed. http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/EC/2016_EC102.htm

In this case then, it looks like LSE split students between no econ A-level and econ A-level
econ, f maths, maths, physics and its nice to do a STEP
By the way guys, do you have to do financial economics to go into finance, or can you just do economics and go into finance?
Reply 15
Original post by dp00
Thanks for replying!

A better idea would be to put down you are taking FM A2 and give them a predicted grade (preferably A*/A) which will increase your chance of getting an offer.

Your offer will (very very likely) be the standard offer of A*AA so you could simply not turn up to your FM exams. As long as you get the A* in the required subject (Single Maths) and the two As then you're in.

Edit: You don't have to learn any further maths at all since LSE don't interview so they can't catch you out. In the extremely unlikely event they specify FM in the offer you still have four months or more to learn it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Pretty sure you only need maths, economics and further maths help but are not necessary I don't think. I would just do maths and subjects that interest you imo
Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and History
Economics, Maths, Geography, Physics
Original post by tcameron
Economics, Maths, Geography, Physics

You pretty much need Further Maths at least to AS Level to study straight Econ at LSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending