The Student Room Group

1 GP policy... Can I not see a doctor at home if I register at university?

I've been told that if I register with the university GP that I won't be able to see my GP at home when on holiday or whatever... what can I do about this?
You can register as a temporary patient when home.
Reply 2
I tried being a temporary patient at a london GP and they said they were too full to accept temporary patients?
Reply 3
My sister tried this but ended up waiting around for hours as she wasn't a priority patient
Does your town at home have a minor injury and illness unit? Or outpatient centre? Its ran by GPs and nurses so if you have any problems you can go there
Reply 5
Its not exactly very convenient- I went to try and get the pill at my home sexual health centre and had to wait 3 hours. I can't understand why students can't be given dual registration considering our circumstance. Plus my parents are moving to a village in the countryside so that won't be possible
Reply 6
Original post by ANAREY1
I tried being a temporary patient at a london GP and they said they were too full to accept temporary patients?

I've heard about this too! And what if you have a genuine issue or need a prescription?
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Does your town at home have a minor injury and illness unit? Or outpatient centre? Its ran by GPs and nurses so if you have any problems you can go there

It doesn't have anything beyond the standard GP practice I don't think, like I said my sister had great difficulty with it :/
Reply 8
I registered with my uni city GP in my first year but then had issues when I was back home for holidays particularly during the summer so ended up registering back to my home GP. During term time I just used a walk-in surgery, they'll give prescriptions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've had such bad experiences with walk in surgeries in London, the wait is ridiculous. Ive trekked across London to get to one and been turned away as they're too full. And then when you can get it in it is an hour wait at absolute minimum. In Guys sexual health clinic you don't get a prescription to take to a pharmacy, they just give you a pill pack. They didn't have the brand I use and I was given another one which I didn't agree with.
Do you reckon if I spoke to my home GP they would let me continue to be registered? i think the problem is that so many NHS are inundated and so waiting times are so long- that is if they'll see you at all if you're not registered permanently with them.
Reply 10
Original post by bokky2
I've heard about this too! And what if you have a genuine issue or need a prescription?

With the prescription issue, I get my GP in Manchester to postdate mine - which means I can't pick them up after the date stated on the prescription itself :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks, that sounds useful! my Gp has never offered to do that, I wonder if they all will do it..
Reply 12
Original post by ANAREY1
Thanks, that sounds useful! my Gp has never offered to do that, I wonder if they all will do it..

There's no reason why they shouldn't :smile: It means I don't need to see my GP in Manchester over Christmas, Easter and the summer holidays but also means I can't stockpile my meds ^_^
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Great thanks! still a bit of an issue if I get ill at Uni. Im not keen on just relying on walk in services. I will deffo stay with my home GP, my health issue isn't one I want to change Doctors with.
Reply 14
I wish there was a easy way of sorting it out, why cant you just have a GP at university and home!!

Quick Reply

Latest