The Student Room Group

Do you like your name?

This is based off of this BBC article that made me laugh (because I'm cruel like that :colone:): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37231668

To summarise, a survey of around 1,000 people said that they regretted the name they chose for their child...

SO, a slightly strange one - do you like your forename? Would you ever change it and if so, what to?

Is there a reason behind your name?

For example, I was going to be called Jake, but then my parents decided on Luke because of Star Wars :lol:

Scroll to see replies

I was just reading that article lol, there are quite a few things I don't really like about myself but my name isn't one of them, I love it! :yep:
Reply 2
No, I don't like my name but I don't hate it either. Its just not really my cup of tea.

I was named after my mum's girl crush, the model Yasmin Le Bon :laugh: :colondollar:

I'd never change it but if I were to, I'd change it to Regan or Erin :smile:

I was meant to be called John or Jordan if I were a boy
Reply 3
Don't love it, don't hate it. At least it's not like any stupid name some celebrities give to their children.
I like my name, but people always make a joke about it as soon as they hear it lol.
I was going to be called Ozzy, so I'm very thankful for it...
Reply 5
I really like my name ' fefssdf ' but it has lead to some pronunciation difficulties
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Blondie987
I was just reading that article lol, there are quite a few things I don't really like about myself but my name isn't one of them, I love it! :yep:

Yeah I laughed out loud when I saw it! Don't know how they could say they regretted their child's name :lol: Exactly, my name is a bit of a non-issue - some names are cool but I'm happy with my name :biggrin:

Original post by Spock's Socks
No, I don't like my name but I don't hate it either. Its just not really my cup of tea.

I was named after my mum's girl crush, the model Yasmin Le Bon :laugh: :colondollar:

I'd never change it but if I were to, I'd change it to Regan or Erin :smile:

I was meant to be called John or Jordan if I were a boy

That's a cool reason to have that name aha :biggrin: I like the name Erin though!

I don't think I had a girl name :s-smilie: I suppose it would be Lucy or Lucinda :colone:
Mine's alright I think. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf
I really like my name ' fefssdf ' but it has lead to now pronunciation difficulties

Reply 9
Original post by iEthan

I like Ethan, it's like Ethan Hunt!

Mr Mission Impossible :biggrin:
I dislike my name. I just don't feel it suits me and it's awkwardly spelled. I started going by Tina (which is 4/13 letters of my name) when I was 18 instead. It feels more "me" but it took my parents years to get used to.
I hate my name - it's not a horrible name but it just doesn't suit me. I took ages to choose my baby's name and as soon as he was born, he just 'looked' the name :-)
I guess I'm fairly neutral about my name (Anna), it's quite nice but people often think it's Hannah whenever I introduce myself, which gets annoying sometimes. It was the only name my parents could agree on, there was no real meaning or anything behind it. If I was a boy I would've been Vincent :smile:
Original post by PugDevil
This is based off of this BBC article that made me laugh (because I'm cruel like that :colone:): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37231668

To summarise, a survey of around 1,000 people said that they regretted the name they chose for their child...

SO, a slightly strange one - do you like your forename? Would you ever change it and if so, what to?

Is there a reason behind your name?

For example, I was going to be called Jake, but then my parents decided on Luke because of Star Wars :lol:

not really, but when I say my name it comes out weird, and people can't understand me even though its a simple name. no one can spell my name properly on the first try they try to spell it, I wouldn't change my first name though, even though there's a bazillion ways of spelling it - my parents wanted my middle name now to be my first name but switched my middle and last name round at the last minute so I think they sort of regret it.
mind you one of the lads in my year at school was born before one of the major harry potter characters got released (the real name of Lord Voldemort)
I love my name. My parents weren't sure what to call me and my brothers were wrestling mad so kept insisting I be named after Miss Elizabeth. So, Elizabeth it was.
Yes. When there's another Sarah in the same call though. It gets so confusing.
Not hugely. Most friends call me AJ, and I'm using that increasingly as the years go by on delivery addresses etc. Can't be bothered changing it by deed poll though, especially while I'm living with the parents who named me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mostly I hate it sometimes I love it. But I was gonna be called Faye which is even worse
Reply 18
Its nothing special. Dont really like or hate it. More of a 'whatever'. But probably would want a different name if I could go back in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My name is ok. Bit dull.
I should really shorten it but I cba and now I'm stuck with the long one because if some1 shortens it I legit won't answer to it XD :rofl:

Original post by iEthan

ethan is such an awesome name
I have a toy elephant called Ethan :rolleyes::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest