The Student Room Group

Physics or engineering

I love physics/maths/ETC..

I'M considering physics and doing relevant preparation(Only in y11(15 years old))...

Just wondering if there are any benefits to engineering in comparison?

This include all aspects like satisfaction/pay/Amount of science involved/ETC...?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VNN
I love physics/maths/ETC..

I'M considering physics and doing relevant preparation(Only in y11(15 years old))...

Just wondering if there are any benefits to engineering in comparison?

This include all aspects like satisfaction/pay/Amount of science involved/ETC...?

Thanks

Do you want to be an engineer?
You can only be a chartered engineer by doing an engineering degree.
Original post by Smack
Do you want to be an engineer?

Currently looking in to become a physicist so i was just asking for a advanced comparison?
Reply 4
Original post by VNN
Currently looking in to become a physicist so i was just asking for a advanced comparison?

Really depends where you go after your undergraduate degree. Even saying you want to be a physicist, there are different roles with that title. Do you mean you want to pursue academia?
Original post by Cerdic
Really depends where you go after your undergraduate degree. Even saying you want to be a physicist, there are different roles with that title. Do you mean you want to pursue academia?

Absolutely!

My goal is to ultimately get a PhD in Physics and pursue academia(Of course getting an undergrad first)....

I would like to work in facilities like CERN/NASA/ETC...What is your opinion on this?

Also:

What is a master degree?Must you do it before a PhD?
Is it viable to work at an area like CERN?
Do i need an American citizenship to work at NASA(I have a British one)?
Any other advice?

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Absolutely!

My goal is to ultimately get a PhD in Physics and pursue academia(Of course getting an undergrad first)....

I would like to work in facilities like CERN/NASA/ETC...What is your opinion on this?

Also:

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Can you get a PhD without a masters? Yup.
Do you need an American Citizenship to work at NASA? Yup.
Any other advice? Go with the flow.
Original post by VNN

Also:

Any other advice?

Thanks.

If you're certain you want an academic career in physics you should probably study physics.
You don't need US citizenship for all NASA jobs - my gf's brother (British, MPhys, PhD) works at JPL.

Original post by Terry Tibbs
You can only be a chartered engineer by doing an engineering degree.
Wrong.
Original post by VNN

An engineer isn't really that similar to a physicist. If it's physics that you're motivated by, then you may be disappointed with engineering. Although it may be easier to find a job as an engineer with an engineering degree than as a physicist in academia or industry.
Just noticed this is in the GCSE forum - in terms of advice assuming you do something like maths+physics+? at A-level you'll keep options for engineering and physics open.

OP what sort of things do you like building/studying/designing/reading about?
Original post by Duncan2012
Just noticed this is in the GCSE forum - in terms of advice assuming you do something like maths+physics+? at A-level you'll keep options for engineering and physics open.

OP what sort of things do you like building/studying/designing/reading about?

Hello...

I'm will be doing 5-A levels which will be triple science maths and further maths...

I love to study erotically subjects like theoretical physics and I prefer thefoetical subjects overly overly practical ones as theory is extremely fascinating and they are part of the whole picture where as in engineering it is very specified.last...I do want to consider experimental physics as a career due to how cool and fun it seems and I'm very very passionate about physics beyond words...

I like to read about great pioneers in physics and maths and I am very interested in astronomy and rockets,EtC...

Thanks!
Original post by VNN
Hello...

I'm will be doing 5-A levels which will be triple science maths and further maths...

I love to study erotically subjects like theoretical physics and I prefer thefoetical subjects overly overly practical ones as theory is extremely fascinating and they are part of the whole picture where as in engineering it is very specified.last...I do want to consider experimental physics as a career due to how cool and fun it seems and I'm very very passionate about physics beyond words...

I like to read about great pioneers in physics and maths and I am very interested in astronomy and rockets,EtC...

Thanks!

I don't know about studying 'erotically' (I assume you mean 'passionately') but from what you've said it seems pretty clear that you'd prefer physics to engineering. If you get excellent grades at school and at uni there's no reason you couldn't end up at one of the organisations you mentioned earlier. Good luck!
Wrong.
Mate, you need an engineering degree and masters to be eligible for the CEng.
Reply 13
If you do physics you can switch to engineering anytime (with an extra masters) but you'll struggle to go from engineering to physics later on.

Therefore you should probably do maths. :biggrin:

No you don't. Stop making things up. This has been covered several times before on TSR but incase you haven't seen those threads google 'UK Spec'. Mate.
No you don't. Stop making things up. This has been covered several times before on TSR but incase you haven't seen those threads google 'UK Spec'. Mate.
http://www.engc.org.uk/ceng Physics degrees are not accredited, mate.
http://www.engc.org.uk/ceng Physics degrees are not accredited, mate.

So what? That's got absolutely nothing to do with your post which is wrong.

Do you have an engineering degree?
So what? That's got absolutely nothing to do with your post which is wrong.
So you aren't eligible.
So you aren't eligible.

'Eligibility' is meaningless. Someone with a physics degree (or any degree, or no degree) could meet the requirements for CEng. Go read the UK Spec.

As you didn't answer the question can we assume that you don't have an engineering degree?
'Eligibility' is meaningless. Someone with a physics degree (or any degree, or no degree) could meet the requirements for CEng. Go read the UK Spec.

Could is not the same as does. Mate just go on linkedin, to get the jobs right out of uni that you need to become chartered you ain't gonna get with physics, the tiny fraction that manage it have to go through the drawn out process of proving you have the required skills to make up for not doing the MEng.

As you didn't answer the question can we assume that you don't have an engineering degree?
Irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending