The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I recall a blitz match, quite possibly for the championship, between Anand and Kasparov; Anand spent well over a minute thinking in the opening of one of the games lol. I'm not sure it was even a novelty, I think it was standard. But I guess he was spooked..

Ah, don't you think having learned the rules and played a bit when you were younger must have influenced something though? I mean, you say you aren't talented, but the best pretty much entirely inexperienced (i.e. lack of serious play or study) chess players I've met have still been quite weak; tactically and positionally, the whole shebang. But I suppose chess videos makes sense. Myself, I have been through a great deal of the kingscrusher catalogue, less (well, not in proportion to content - Kingscrusher puts out a vid like every minute it seems) of Chess Network but still loads.

Yeah I haven't fully checked into the openings videos yet. I looked at the latest ones and there's stuff on openings I never play, I guess I might as well make use of the search functon and see what I can dig up. It is rather embarrassing that I am pretty clueless when it comes to the Ruy Lopez - very rarely play e4, if I do I always meet e5 with the Scotch (nice and simple..), and against e4 always play c5, or more liable to play e6 or c6 as alternatives rather than e5. I mean I know the first few moves and all but strategies, nah lol.

I assumed it was bad but it was just laziness lol, I figured I can get a good position anyway. And ultimately my queenside expansion was fast and strong - dunno what compelled me to push b6 in the end, probably just thinking "space is good", but aside from that, I think I had a nice principled game going. Anyway, just 3|2, no biggy.

Just played what I thought was a nice, brutal 30|0 QGD game (my opponent blundering away a pawn helped) but apparently I had 5 inaccuracies lol. Mostly of the "your advantage is slightly smaller but still very good" kind though.

Chess is a poor man's attempt at mathematical ingenuity.
Original post by Convex

Why do people assume chess is a mathematician's game?

If you go to an amateur chess tournament, you will see far more lawyers than you will engineers.
Original post by Convex

lol okay.
Reply 863
lol okay.

Can you give me a quick game please :smile:
Original post by HaramiSalami
Why do people assume chess is a mathematician's game?

If you go to an amateur chess tournament, you will see far more lawyers than you will engineers.

I used to be a mathematician, am now a lawyer, and still more or less such at chess :smile:
Can someone fill me in since I died for a bit?

@13 1 20 8 42 @john2054
Original post by Electrospective

@13 1 20 8 42 @john2054

On what? With regards to the tournament, all I know is I lost my game vs The Sexathlete (who then claimed he had cheated, which I assumed was a joke, but all his moves were perfect, so Idk lol)

Original post by Convex
Can you give me a quick game please :smile:

Sorry had food. Nah I feel I've played enough chess for today. Good for most of the time though.
On what? With regards to the tournament, all I know is I lost my game vs The Sexathlete (who then claimed he had cheated, which I assumed was a joke, but all his moves were perfect, so Idk lol).

Yes. Ohh okay, Is it possible to cheat?
Yes. Ohh okay, Is it possible to cheat?

Yeah chess engines play near enough to perfect and you can just input the moves of your opponent and it tells you what to play.
I thought he was just really good but I could not discern if his cheating comment was sarcasm lol.

@13 1 20 8 42 @john2054

Oh welcome back by the way. :tongue:
Original post by Convex

Well no, and chess ability has nothing to do with mathematical ability in my opinion.
x

I lost my game
Posted from TSR Mobile
I recall a blitz match, quite possibly for the championship, between Anand and Kasparov; Anand spent well over a minute thinking in the opening of one of the games lol. I'm not sure it was even a novelty, I think it was standard. But I guess he was spooked..

Ah, don't you think having learned the rules and played a bit when you were younger must have influenced something though? I mean, you say you aren't talented, but the best pretty much entirely inexperienced (i.e. lack of serious play or study) chess players I've met have still been quite weak; tactically and positionally, the whole shebang. But I suppose chess videos makes sense. Myself, I have been through a great deal of the kingscrusher catalogue, less (well, not in proportion to content - Kingscrusher puts out a vid like every minute it seems) of Chess Network but still loads.

Yeah I haven't fully checked into the openings videos yet. I looked at the latest ones and there's stuff on openings I never play, I guess I might as well make use of the search functon and see what I can dig up. It is rather embarrassing that I am pretty clueless when it comes to the Ruy Lopez - very rarely play e4, if I do I always meet e5 with the Scotch (nice and simple..), and against e4 always play c5, or more liable to play e6 or c6 as alternatives rather than e5. I mean I know the first few moves and all but strategies, nah lol.

I assumed it was bad but it was just laziness lol, I figured I can get a good position anyway. And ultimately my queenside expansion was fast and strong - dunno what compelled me to push b6 in the end, probably just thinking "space is good", but aside from that, I think I had a nice principled game going. Anyway, just 3|2, no biggy.

Just played what I thought was a nice, brutal 30|0 QGD game (my opponent blundering away a pawn helped) but apparently I had 5 inaccuracies lol. Mostly of the "your advantage is slightly smaller but still very good" kind though.

And there was also the notable Anand vs Smirin where again Anand spent almost 2 minutes (this was blitz btw) on his 4th move which was very standard... unless we're talking about the same game?

Yeah a lot of chess videos makes it so that you know what you're aiming for when playing chess; you know how the top players play and you aim to replicate the thought processes etc. whereas if you didn't watch any videos/study at all you'd probably improve much more slowly from practice.

I never play e5 either lol, always c5 like you. But maybe I'd benefit from practising e5 since it's so universal; there must be a lot of chess to learn from such positions. Usually my games don't even go into normal openings because I generally play quite weak players and they never play mainlines (like you'll always see Bowdler attack and pushing rook pawns unnecessarily etc.), which is largely the reason why I want to get to a higher rating.
Yeah chess engines play near enough to perfect and you can just input the moves of your opponent and it tells you what to play.
I thought he was just really good but I could not discern if his cheating comment was sarcasm lol.

I would PM but he's banned too. :rofl:

Oh welcome back by the way. :tongue:

Fankss mate. Tbh I should leave seeing as I need to prepare myself for A2 :colondollar:

Original post by Matrix123

Hi Matty. Awwh, it was all fun anyways (:

Fankss mate. Tbh I should leave seeing as I need to prepare myself for A2 :colondollar:

Hi Matty. Awwh, it was all fun anyways (:

Hi, how are you?

Haha yeah :h:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
Hi, how are you?

Haha yeah :h:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm alright fanks, and yourself? :tongue:
I'm alright fanks, and yourself? :tongue:

Haha good. Yeah I'm alright too thanks :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IrrationalRoot
And there was also the notable Anand vs Smirin where again Anand spent almost 2 minutes (this was blitz btw) on his 4th move which was very standard... unless we're talking about the same game?

Yeah a lot of chess videos makes it so that you know what you're aiming for when playing chess; you know how the top players play and you aim to replicate the thought processes etc. whereas if you didn't watch any videos/study at all you'd probably improve much more slowly from practice.

I never play e5 either lol, always c5 like you. But maybe I'd benefit from practising e5 since it's so universal; there must be a lot of chess to learn from such positions. Usually my games don't even go into normal openings because I generally play quite weak players and they never play mainlines (like you'll always see Bowdler attack and pushing rook pawns unnecessarily etc.), which is largely the reason why I want to get to a higher rating.

Yeah, either it happened twice or I'm mixing up two games. :tongue: Swear I remember Kasparov on the other side of the board though...

Indeed videos, or just doing some study in general, are possibly superior to playing at the lower levels, at least blitz or bullet.

e4-e5 theory is terrifying (not that sicilian theory is much better, but I tend to feel less on edge with it) so I try to avoid it. But certainly many of the resulting positions are rich and instructive, from what I recall of watching great games from said positions. A good tip is to go into custom and change your minimum to -50, it, obviously, increases the probability of getting somebody higher rated than you, and if they are lower rated than you it won't be by a lot. But yeah honestly I swear Bowdler is the most common response I face. Nf3 is probably second lol. Mainlines seem more common when I play d4, most people go for typical set-ups.

...can I haz semi-final in that case :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest