The Student Room Group

TV Licensing loophole for students...

Scroll to see replies

I live in Northern Ireland. People [I think] pay it now, but during the height of the Troubles I was told a TV Licence detector van came around a strong Republican area. The man was told to get out of his van, and then had to walk down a hill back into town with his trousers around his ankles. No TV Licence van was seen again in Newry for over 20 years. True story.
Original post by lawyer3c
what i always wondered about this 'loophole' is how the hell can they tell if you watch it whilst your laptop is plugged in or not?

even if you were plugged in and watch it for every day of your life without a licence, and they say oi m8 u watched it plugged in, can't i just say na wasn't plugged in prove it

the burden of proof is on them to prove that my laptop was plugged in whilst i watched, there's literally no conceivable way they could do that

You're completely right, but this is Britain so they give some bully who wasn't smart enough to lead a fascist revolution a crappy uniform and call him a licensing enforcement officer, knock on the door of some poor single mother's house and tell her their equipment has detected the presence of a television set and ask if they can enter her premises (:sexface:). She being unaware of their lack of legal authority, naturally lets him in to discover her 8 year old son illicitly watching CBEEBies on the television.

The evil loose single mother is quite rightly given a Fixed Penalty Notice and warned that if she ever has the audacity to steal money from the hard working licence fee payers who built this great nation again, she will be dragged before a magistrates' court where she could receive a 4 figure fine and a prison sentence for her nefarious acts of criminality.
Original post by markova21
I live in Northern Ireland. People [I think] pay it now, but during the height of the Troubles I was told a TV Licence detector van came around a strong Republican area. The man was told to get out of his van, and then had to walk down a hill back into town with his trousers around his ankles. No TV Licence van was seen again in Newry for over 20 years. True story.

Holy **** :rofl: my opinion of Irish Republicans has gone through the roof.
From tomorrow if you use iplayer, then whether you are plugged in or not you will require a licence.
It just affects anyone using iplayer as their means of viewing/ downloading.

Id be highly surprised if there are many students ouut there who religiously unplug their laptop just so they can watch live TV..
Reply 25
Original post by iEthan
Their letters are so scary too! :shock: I'd just… figure it out… somehow… :colone:

(:colone:)

They are the massive red font though :eek:
... :colone:

Original post by HaramiSalami
They have literally no way to tell unless you admit it or they actually catch you watching live, the whole thing is a massive smoke and mirrors op.

"Detector vans are an important part of our enforcement of the licence fee. We don’t go into detail about how many there are or how they work as this information might be useful to people trying to evade the fee." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

The fact they refuse to disclose the nature of the evidence they supposedly collect, would render that evidence inadmissible in court even if it were real, therefore occam's razor would suggest it isn't. It's just a public sector goon in a white van they stuck an old aerial onto

It pisses me off because it's the state bullying little people.

Thats so dodgy... how is this even legal wtf
The thing is tho even if you had a working TV that was streaming all kinds

And you said you dont use it. I mean they could come into your house (with their fake ass unsigned warrant), turn it on and see all the channels but they can't charge you for that right? Cos youre not using it.

So really all you have to do to avoid paying for a TV license is turn it off before you answer the door :rofl:

I mean its only £145 a year but still -_- rip off mannn

It's just a public sector goon in a white van

Actually it's a private sector goon. Capita have the contract for tv licencing enforcement. Except they really don't want you to know it's them, which is why none of the letters mention their name and they call themselves 'TV Licencing' to make you think they're from the BBC or council. Devious bunch.
Original post by Queen Cersei
TV license.png

This is part of the TV Licensing site (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ32) so basically don't use a TV and don't plug in your laptop/ipad.

What a bizarre exception. How is being plugged relevant?
Original post by Juichiro
What a bizarre exception. How is being plugged relevant?

If it's unplugged from the mains, it's technically classed as a portable device :tongue:
They can't do sh*t anyway as long as you don't incriminate yourself.

Just simply state that you aren't prepared to speak to them and close the door.
You're completely right, but this is Britain so they give some bully who wasn't smart enough to lead a fascist revolution a crappy uniform and call him a licensing enforcement officer, knock on the door of some poor single mother's house and tell her their equipment has detected the presence of a television set and ask if they can enter her premises (:sexface:). She being unaware of their lack of legal authority, naturally lets him in to discover her 8 year old son illicitly watching CBEEBies on the television.
but most people who dont have a tv licence will typical be those at uni/living alone, as most people living at home with parents will usually have a tv licence

but even in your scenario, say I'm the 8 year old son and i watch iPlayer on my laptop whilst its still plugged in, then my mum/dad let the tv guy in (lol never gonna happen) what can they do? the tv is legit dont use it for anything, use my laptop - say they check my internet history and see the iPlayer stuff, then i say its cool laptop wasn't plugged in :smile: then what can they do lol?
Original post by JamesN88
They can't do sh*t anyway as long as you don't incriminate yourself.

Just simply state that you aren't prepared to speak to them and close the door.

The the next thing they do would be to apply for a warrant, which would give them the right to enter. At that point they might turn up with plod. You cant hide forever.
Original post by z33

Thats so dodgy... how is this even legal wtf
The thing is tho even if you had a working TV that was streaming all kinds

And you said you dont use it. I mean they could come into your house (with their fake ass unsigned warrant), turn it on and see all the channels but they can't charge you for that right? Cos youre not using it.

So really all you have to do to avoid paying for a TV license is turn it off before you answer the door :rofl:

I mean its only £145 a year but still -_- rip off mannn

I'm not saying break the law, if you're intelligent you will get a good job such that £145 pa is nothing, so you don't want a criminal record to your name, but yes so long as they can't see or hear the television and you don't brag about it, they are unlikely to ever be able to build a case. They would need a police warrant to get in and provided you unplug the thing they have no way to tell.

It really is just their database of houses which have paid they use to find the houses which haven't, I can't stand this bullying of the little guy.
Reply 33
Original post by 999tigger
From tomorrow if you use iplayer, then whether you are plugged in or not you will require a licence.

Being unplugged has nothing to do with not needing a licence.. but about being covered by your permanent addresses' licence (ie: parents).
The the next thing they do would be to apply for a warrant, which would give them the right to enter. At that point they might turn up with plod. You cant hide forever.

But they would need to provide evidence when they applied for the warrant, and unless you've incriminated yourself by confessing to them or they've seen the tv switched on there isn't any (the 'detector vans' are a bluff, remember). No evidence = no warrant. So don't let them in in the first place. And assuming you're a law-abiding citizen (making use of any legal loopholes should you wish to) you can safely throw their letters in the bin.
Reply 35
The the next thing they do would be to apply for a warrant,

Apply for a warrant with what evidence? Refusing entry is not grounds enough for a warrant.
Reply 36
I'm not saying break the law, if you're intelligent you will get a good job such that £145 pa is nothing, so you don't want a criminal record to your name, but yes so long as they can't see or hear the television and you don't brag about it, they are unlikely to ever be able to build a case. They would need a police warrant to get in and provided you unplug the thing they have no way to tell.

It really is just their database of houses which have paid they use to find the houses which haven't, I can't stand this bullying of the little guy.

I know i know my parents are paying it and im going to be paying it when i move out for uni just so I wont have to deal with their harrassment but I'm just saying it sounds proper dodgy and idk how theyve managed to keep it up for so long :hmmmm:
Original post by James A
If it's unplugged from the mains, it's technically classed as a portable device :tongue:

lol You could get a battery charger, charge it and charge your laptop batteries when they are about to die. Then you go back and charge the charger. People could watch telly for free! :0
Original post by Reue
Apply for a warrant with what evidence? Refusing entry is not grounds enough for a warrant.

Finally changed the profile picture. :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by Reue

I think they could say they saw a TV or heard one running in the background and that would get them one? Idk :/

Quick Reply

Latest