The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Brit Pakistani have to be one of the Uncoolest people to be in the UK today. No one likes us. Nothing cool about us. Sexist controlling men(from my own experience) Nothing positive about us in the media. No famous female British Pakistani role models-no famous pak Brit females full stop. So many negative news stories e.g, grooming, gangs etc

We're crap at sports apart from cricket. Our food is good but it will always be called "Indian food".

All my relatives are married to their cousins. Therefore family want me to marry my cousin from a village in pak FML. Brb living under parent rules when young. Brb living under husbands and in laws rules when married off. Brb no freedom. Brb no self expression allowed esp if you're female. Brb compulsory to cook and clean for a girl.

On top of that coming from a Muslim background people are suspicious of us.

I'm a pakistani male, from quite a religious muslim family and I ****ing hate it. I identify as an atheist but I could never tell my family that otherwise they'd ****ing kill me (not literally, just figuratively!) and when they talk about religion and praying I just feel so distant and alienated from them.

What also bothers me is, and you mentioned it, is that my family is also quite sexist, as well as homophobic which pisses me off. The women in my family are quite suppressed, similar to yours, they have to cook and clean and don't have much freedom.

As for role models, well pakistanis do represent only a small proportion of the population so it makes sense that the number of pakistani role models is quite small too, so I don't see it as big of a problem
Original post by yungaheartz
um... correct me if i'm wrong but isn't all this culture rather than religion?
aren't women allowed to DEMAND their own accommodations when they get married?
Aren't wives allowed to have rights of their own?
you girls need to try standing your ground, ok against parents it may be hard but try to argue with religious logic.

First things first - learn about your religion and your rights as a wife. here are a few facts that may baffle you:

1. a woman cannot be forced into marrying any guy, the decision has to be her choice in the end because a forced marriage doesn't count as a marriage in Islam
2. before marriage the woman is allowed to set her own demands. if she wants to continue working or studying after marriage or wants her own house or doesn't want to wear a hijab after marriage she is allowed to demand this. most guys say yes because if he refuses her demands then of course she can refuse the marriage
3. believe it or not the only duty of a daughter-in-law to her parents-in-law is that she has to respect them because they are older than her. she does not have to listen to them, look after them and certainly does not have to put up with any abuse from them
4. In fact if you study it properly, the only duty of a wife is to give her husband sex
she doesn't even have to do any housework is she doesn't want to
5. why oh why do all women forget this. you can walk out of a marriage as easily as you walked into one. if you're not getting your rights exercised or are getting any sort of abuse you can leave your husband. the sad thing is most women don't because of the 'taboo/shame' of being a divorced woman or think its the lesser of two evils to be marriage and miserable/controlled rather than single and alone. and this is the reason why a lot of men are able to treat their wives like doormats, because they know that their wives will let them get away with it

if you've got nothing to threaten them with, they've got nothing to be intimidated by

you don't need your parents to have your back. if you've got intelligence, knowledge and God on your side you can handle anything in life.

What you said is absolutely right, sometimes i can't think properly due to my illness--all optimism is blocked out lmao
Original post by samina_ay
What you said is absolutely right, sometimes i can't think properly due to my illness--all optimism is blocked out lmao

still never to late to change love, remember we only have one life, lets make the most of it otherwise one day we'll be old and miserable and we'll look back and think 'seriously why DID i let everyone rule me like that?'

i don't blame you, you've been controlled since birth so its always harder to break away and take control of your life. but if you have the determination then you can do it!!
Eye-opening!! What a great way to look at it. You're totally right about the media. :/ Wish they weren't the eat they are but can't do anything about that. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should form a Pakistani female rebel group and protest for your rights!

I will help you promote the group (even though I'm 100% British and privileged)

I will make posters for you saying that you should have rights.

I want to help you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cookie123456789
You should form a Pakistani female rebel group and protest for your rights!

I will help you promote the group (even though I'm 100% British and privileged)

I will make posters for you saying that you should have rights.

I want to help you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol
Lol

Why lol?
I want to help this Pakistani girl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brit Pakistani have to be one of the Uncoolest people to be in the UK today. No one likes us. Nothing cool about us. Sexist controlling men(from my own experience) Nothing positive about us in the media. No famous female British Pakistani role models-no famous pak Brit females full stop. So many negative news stories e.g, grooming, gangs etc

We're crap at sports apart from cricket. Our food is good but it will always be called "Indian food".

All my relatives are married to their cousins. Therefore family want me to marry my cousin from a village in pak FML. Brb living under parent rules when young. Brb living under husbands and in laws rules when married off. Brb no freedom. Brb no self expression allowed esp if you're female. Brb compulsory to cook and clean for a girl.

On top of that coming from a Muslim background people are suspicious of us.

My mums boyfriend is white and her other boyfriend is Kurdish and my stepdad is Pakistani
Original post by cookie123456789
Why lol?
I want to help this Pakistani girl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really you like Pakistani women
My mums Pakistani but shes got a English gora boyfriend and shes also got a Kurdish boyfriend and she is married to my Pakistani stepdad as well
Marry an English man, I would love to marry you just to show you how you deserve to be treated like a princess not a slave to cook and clean for me I can do my own cleaning. Women are not put on this earth to serve men. You need a good life and hopefully you’ll get it.
Very well said, as as a person from Birmingham family dating back to back to balsall Heath 1850 and still here In birmingham i do understand how how hard intregation can be
Moooloolula
first world problems...
Our food is good but it will always be called "Indian food".

This one is heart breaking @Zamestaneh

:sad:
Original post by Anonymοοse
Change the title to "Hate being Mirpuri"...you know it's true, don't deny it. Mirpuris don't represent all Pakistani people. Sucks for you what you've had to deal with growing up but you don't speak for everyone and your experiences aren't shared by everyone either.

Na mirpuris aren't really much different to other pakistanis. People just like to scapegoat them.
Original post by Chez231
I swear Malala Yousafzai is one big one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol na. She's all popular with white people and stuff but a big number of pakistanis see her as a western stooge.
Thing that would really bug me is overbearing parents and restriction of choice in marriage,religion and life. This can vary a lot, so its a bit pot luck.
Lol na. She's all popular with white people and stuff but a big number of pakistanis see her as a western stooge.

I don't think that's quite her fault tbh. I mean, she has been used by organisations, to try and use her as a political mouthpiece, however Malala as a person isn't so bad.

What *would* help is if more Pakistanis were educated, as it would help people to actually articulate their views. See, you can definitely draw comparisons to saying "why Malala lives in the UK" when x person was shot, and still goes to the same school etc.. however to hate on the girl is something else entirely. She herself didn't do any thing wrong.

Not everything is a western plot. Not everything can be blamed on "the west"

Also, that's not what the anon feature is for..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Happyfeet85
Marry an English man, I would love to marry you just to show you how you deserve to be treated like a princess not a slave to cook and clean for me I can do my own cleaning. Women are not put on this earth to serve men. You need a good life and hopefully you’ll get it.

Nah. You just fetishise Asian girls. Totally treating girls like a princess there, by seeing them as objects Just saying "Women are not put on this earth to serve men. You need a good life and hopefully you’ll get it." is fine. YOu don't need to fetishise people.

Latest

Trending

Trending