The Student Room Group

Declaring GCSE retake

Hi guys,
So basically I did my geography gcse in year 9 and came out with a B. I wanted to get a better grade, so I retook all modules ( that was the only option) in year 10 and obtained a new certificate with an A* grade. Would I need to declare this on my application? Thanks in advance guys :smile:
Original post by cherry555
Hi guys,
So basically I did my geography gcse in year 9 and came out with a B. I wanted to get a better grade, so I retook all modules ( that was the only option) in year 10 and obtained a new certificate with an A* grade. Would I need to declare this on my application? Thanks in advance guys :smile:

Yes, all grades must be declared, but they will see from the dates that you were only in year 9 and understand the situation.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, all grades must be declared, but they will see from the dates that you were only in year 9 and understand the situation.

I'm aware that universities do not like retakes if you are applying for medicine. Will this retake have a major impact on whether or not they will consider me for an interview?
I'm aware that universities do not like retakes if you are applying for medicine. Will this retake have a major impact on whether or not they will consider me for an interview?

I would very much doubt it, tbh. When they see that a kid was put in for a GCSE at the age of 14, they will know that it wasn't likely to be something under that kid's control. However, why not contact a university you are interested in and ask them?
Reply 4
I would very much doubt it, tbh. When they see that a kid was put in for a GCSE at the age of 14, they will know that it wasn't likely to be something under that kid's control. However, why not contact a university you are interested in and ask them?

Thanks :smile: I will call them up and ask directly- I do hope it doesn't have much of an impact as I was only 13 and I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into :/
Reply 5
As above, contact the Uni to double check but I don't think it would be considered as a normal retake.

It's usually retakes 'after' that are frowned upon. So retakes of GCSE's after the standard GCSE years Y10/Y11. Subjects taken early and resat shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially not Geography :P
Thanks :smile: I will call them up and ask directly- I do hope it doesn't have much of an impact as I was only 13 and I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into :/

They will know that. Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by JayAhm
As above, contact the Uni to double check but I don't think it would be considered as a normal retake.

It's usually retakes 'after' that are frowned upon. So retakes of GCSE's after the standard GCSE years Y10/Y11. Subjects taken early and resat shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially not Geography :P

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 8
They will know that. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending