The Student Room Group

Medicine with bad GCSE's but good predicted A levels

Posted this on a different thread but the last post was two days ago so I've decided to make this one:

I want to do medicine and one of my choices is Cambridge. For my A levels I'm doing Biology, Maths and Chemistry. My AS grades were really good and I got AAB in that order. I can convince my teachers to predict me a A*A*A for UCAS and I'm confident that I can get it at the end of my A levels.

However, my problems come with GCSEs; in year 9 and 10 my school sat us some early GCSEs and I got an E in business studies, a C in literature and a C in science (when I did Biology, Chemistry and Physics in Year 11 I got AAA* so do they cancel the science out?) Anyway is there any chance I'd be looked at despite my good A level predicted grades because I under preformed in my GCSEs?
In total I got
Year 9: EC
Year 10: AC
Year 11:A*A*A*A*AAAD (D in french :/ - Maths A*, English A)
Year 13 predicted: A*A*A

Is there any point in applying to Cambridge? Or even do medicine in uni? If so, what other universities would you recommend that don't look at GCSE's as much?
Reply 1
Cambridge put minimal focus on GCSEs and you got 5A*s anyway and if you really do get A*A*A that'd be incredible. Do it!
Reply 2
Original post by Lockra
Cambridge put minimal focus on GCSEs and you got 5A*s anyway and if you really do get A*A*A that'd be incredible. Do it!

I got 4A*s not 5. I'm assuming that;s worse. I really do want to do it but I'm not sure I'd like to waste a space. Thanks a lot for your kind words though! Also, what Universities dont really look at GCSEs?
Just avoid the GCSE heavy unis, Cambridge isn't GCSE heavy so you've got a shot at that depending on your other stats. Avoid Cardiff, Birmingham and QUB. I know Imperial doesn't look at GCSE grades at all and Leeds only wants 6 Bs but both place a heavy emphasis on the BMAT. The rest really depends on your UKCAT though as many unis combine GCSEs/ A Level performance with the UKCAT for the interview stage.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nomophobia
Just avoid the GCSE heavy unis, Cambridge isn't GCSE heavy so you've got a shot at that depending on your other stats. Avoid Cardiff, Birmingham and QUB. I know Imperial doesn't look at GCSE grades at all and Leeds only wants 6 Bs but both place a heavy emphasis on the BMAT. The rest really depends on your UKCAT though as many unis combine GCSEs/ A Level performance with the UKCAT for the interview stage.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow just looked at imperial and yeah, they dont look at GCSEs. Thanks a lot! And yeah, I'm not going to bother with Cardiff or Birmingham. Could you recommend any other Universities that either dont look at GCSE's at all or dont really "care" for them that much? Thanks again!
Reply 5
Original post by sm54
Wow just looked at imperial and yeah, they dont look at GCSEs. Thanks a lot! And yeah, I'm not going to bother with Cardiff or Birmingham. Could you recommend any other Universities that either dont look at GCSE's at all or dont really "care" for them that much? Thanks again!

There's a healthy mix of those that do and don't. Oxford do look at them a fair bit. Seriously though, with 4A* grades you might be a bit under average but it should only set you back the slightest bit. You wouldn't be a waste of space anywhere!
Original post by sm54

https://natalierm2707futuredoctorblogs.wordpress.com

There's a document on here that should tell you everything you need to know, the person who wrote this actually helps other people in a similar situation to you on here and there's a few mega threads, I'll link you them if you want

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts
"
The facts at a glance

Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE.

Cambridge does not require 90 per cent in every AS/A2 unit.

Cambridge does not require an average of 90 per cent in every AS/A2 subject.

Cambridge is comfortable with applicants retaking a small number of AS/A2 units.

"
Reply 8
My friend got into imperial for medicine and got Bs, Cs and a couple As/A*s at GCSE. At A-level she got A*A*A*A. So it is possible!!
Reply 9
Original post by alen52213
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts
"
The facts at a glance

Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE.

Cambridge does not require 90 per cent in every AS/A2 unit.

Cambridge does not require an average of 90 per cent in every AS/A2 subject.

Cambridge is comfortable with applicants retaking a small number of AS/A2 units.

"

Yeah, that's what I saw and that's what made me think about this. I don't have the modules for Chemistry or Biology as they're in the linear qualification. And for maths I got 91%, 77% and 82%. That's an average of 83.3% which is less than 90%.

Original post by zogy101
My friend got into imperial for medicine and got Bs, Cs and a couple As/A*s at GCSE. At A-level she got A*A*A*A. So it is possible!!

Imperial is good because they don't look at GCSE's at all. That's very good for her!

Would any of you say that I should apply to Cambridge or am I just blinded by false hope? I really wouldn't want to waste one of my four places on a 0% chance University.
Reply 10
Original post by nomophobia
https://natalierm2707futuredoctorblogs.wordpress.com

There's a document on here that should tell you everything you need to know, the person who wrote this actually helps other people in a similar situation to you on here and there's a few mega threads, I'll link you them if you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye, could you link me to the document where she helps people in my situation? Thanks a lot!
Original post by sm54
Aye, could you link me to the document where she helps people in my situation? Thanks a lot!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67343272

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending