The Student Room Group

Ultimate (?) Guide for What to Wear for Matriculation - Not Just Girls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Oh actually I had a smart pair of trousers and many shirts so formal sorted then :lol:

Usually not too keen on party situations but might get more active on that regard lol

My daughter had never been a party girl at all. She'd never even been to a club before she went to Cambridge. She hasn't gone to one, either, after she left Cambridge.
But things are different there, apparently........ :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Well, King's sound... interesting. :tongue:

Thanks for this, Vincrows. My college parents advised me to wear suit + tie to the dinner and then gradually remove the tie and jacket if everybody else is doing so as well. :lol:
Original post by Zacken

Thanks for this, Vincrows. My college parents advised me to wear suit + tie to the dinner and then gradually remove the tie and jacket if everybody else is doing so as well. :lol:

wow so u actual got info on ur parents letter?! Mine basically said sod all, but ive got a brother called Louis :wink:
Original post by Zacken

Actually been wondering.......
Do they really go to matriculation in casual clothes like that, or is it just that they were so unorganised and didn't have time to dress properly for the photo session........or was it a sort of practical joke? :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by EnglishMuon
wow so u actual got info on ur parents letter?! Mine basically said sod all, but ive got a brother called Louis :wink:

Yeah, added 'em on FB and all - they're fab. My sister is fit. :wink:

Original post by vincrows
Actually been wondering.......
Do they really go to matriculation in casual clothes like that, or is it just that they were so unorganised and didn't have time to dress properly for the photo session........or was it a sort of practical joke? :tongue:

I'll let you know when I'm there. :rofl:
Reply 25
Original post by Zacken

Reply 26
Original post by alow

aaaaand it's ruined, peak tymes
And Catz's Cardinal Regatta, if you're a rower. Were you in it?

I did it one year in a mixed crew with a Moulin Rouge theme - the guys in black tie, girls in fishnets, flappy dresses and feathery headbands. We did pretty badly in the racing, but I think that's not really the point of the event!

C0balt
Usually not too keen on party situations but might get more active on that regard lol

Go in with an open mind. As has been said elsewhere, a high proportion of Freshers at Cambridge will have been slight misfits at school, not really into the party scene etc - I know I was, and so were a lot of my friends. This does change!
Original post by Zacken

lool in that case I think I know who they might be
Just realised so many people have viewed this thread already,
So hope it's not too late.........

if you're going to King's and have already read OP, please go back there to read a note I added just now.
A conversation with @Zacken yesterday deepened the suspicion I had when i saw their photo.. It may be just their 'statement' (or disorganisation......:tongue:), not how they actually dress for matriculation........

So don't put your expectation and hopes up too high yet! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Just realised so many people have viewed this thread already,
So hope it's not too late.........

if you're going to King's and have already read OP, please go back there to read a note I added just now.
A conversation with @Zacken yesterday deepened the suspicion I had when i saw their photo.. It may be just their 'statement' (or disorganisation......:tongue:), not how they actually dress for matriculation........

So don't put your expectation and hopes up too high yet! :biggrin:

Ah yes, I strongly suspect you're right. The dress code given in the welcome pack for matriculation dinner is "relaxed event, but moderately smart - no jeans, men don't need ties but should have collars)." (direct quote, make of that what you will...)
Original post by Zacken
Ah yes, I strongly suspect you're right. The dress code given in the welcome pack for matriculation dinner is "relaxed event, but moderately smart - no jeans, men don't need ties but should have collars)." (direct quote, make of that what you will...)

Hmmmmm......
In that case, my suspicion weakened.....
That actually sounds exactly like what some of them were wearing in the photo.......:tongue:
So no requirement for a suit then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Hmmmmm......
In that case, my suspicion weakened.....
That actually sounds exactly like what some of them were wearing in the photo.......:tongue:
So no requirement for a suit then?

Apparently not, but my college dad said everybody had a suit on for the dinner. I guess the dinner is more formal than the picture though - but still not as formal as other colleges. :lol:

Oh well, we'll find out soon. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Apparently not, but my college dad said everybody had a suit on for the dinner. I guess the dinner is more formal than the picture though - but still not as formal as other colleges. :lol:

Oh well, we'll find out soon. :biggrin:

Still surprised they don't tell you to come with a red flag or in a communist party costume.......
Are you all going to sing The Internationale in matriculation?

:tongue:
Original post by Leonard Dev
Would anyone like to have the pleasure of shedding some light on this confused soul?
If so, could you tell me if there is any occasion in a first year's journey in which one could wear a light grey suit (at a formal perhaps (specifically at Christ's)) or are there any times where one could dabble in the fashion forward world of so called 'business casual' (say, during society meetings and such)?
Danke to any(-e^(iπ)) who dignifies this with a response.

Best way to find out is contact Christ's JCR or post the question to christs's freshers 2016 FB.
If your college parents have contacted you already, you can ask them too.
Assuming most of 2016 freshers have received Welcome Pack from their college......

I just bump this thread temporarily in case some people want to check what sort of things people may be wearing for matriculation at each each college.

For the first timer to this thread, the details are in OP.
And if your going to King's, you may want to check my conversation with @Zacken in the thread as you're very..............unique............
(edited 7 years ago)
As nearly more than 350 views since bumping this last time, I do it again, for the last time.

The last chance to see and check. :wink:

Please see OP if it's your first time visit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bumping this because it's the time of the year.....and summer sale is still on. :wink:

Please read the opening post for some idea on what people tend to wear for matriculation. The source is a few years old, but I assume there hasn't been too big a change.

Also, bear in mind some of the photos were taken a few hours before the actual matriculation ceremony (all to do with colleges/photographers scheduling things...), so it's possible they were wearing something a bit different (most likely more formal) for the ceremony itself.
Also, possible different dress code for matriculation dinner, which is usually the previous evening.

You will get all the necessary info on your college's dress code very soon in Welcome Pack you get from your own college. So please refer to it, too, when you get it.
Also, your college's JCR and/or college parent/s will get in touch with you before too long via email. So if there's anything else you want to know in detail, you can ask them. That's they're there for, for next 3/4 years. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 38
Bumping this because it's the time of the year.....and summer sale is still on. :wink:

Please read the opening post for some idea on what people tend to wear for matriculation. The source is a few years old, but I assume there hasn't been too big a change.

Also, bear in mind some of the photos were taken a few hours before the actual matriculation ceremony (all to do with colleges/photographers scheduling things...), so it's possible they were wearing something a bit different (most likely more formal) for the ceremony itself.
Also, possible different dress code for matriculation dinner, which is usually the previous evening.

You will get all the necessary info on your college's dress code very soon in Welcome Pack you get from your own college. So please refer to it, too, when you get it.
Also, your college's JCR and/or college parent/s will be get in touch with you before too long via email. So if there's anything else you want to know in detail, you can ask them. That's they're there for, for next 3/4 years. :smile:

It's back!!!!!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance:
:excited::excited::excited::excited:
Bumping this thread for the last time for this year's freshers. :wink:
Hope some of 2017 Freshers have found this useful.

It's a bit too early, but.......
Enjoy Freshers Week and have a wonderful 3/4 years at Cambridge!

Quick Reply