The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Oct 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I enrolled last night for a BA in Language Studies! Starting with German and hopefully going to do French too but as I'm learning German from scratch and haven't studied properly in about 14 years I'm doubtful that after 3 years I'd be fluent so I might stick with German and do English Language as well and hone my German skills. Think I'd rather be totally fluent in at least one language than not be able to speak two very well!

I'm nervous as hell, wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew...15-20 hours a week study for 6 years sounds horrendous on top of a full time job and being a single parent! Ah well, time will tell :colondollar:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 61
Original post by l14muk
So I'm applying for student finance, and it asks for a course title or description or UCAS code. I can't find it anywhere. Which? seem to think the UCAS code is Y008 D but SGE doesn't recognise that?

Does anyone know what to put there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put the name of the degree in; so I started typing Languag... and it came up. Don't think it will recognise modules.
Reply 62
Original post by Lagertha
I put the name of the degree in; so I started typing Languag... and it came up. Don't think it will recognise modules.

Ahh I see, I'm doing their Open Degree where you choose your own modules. So the title of the course is BSc (Hons) Open Degree. It won't find anything from the word Open or from the code I found on Which?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm nervous as hell, wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew...15-20 hours a week study for 6 years sounds horrendous on top of a full time job and being a single parent! Ah well, time will tell :colondollar:

I know it seems like ages at the beginning, buy that time would pass just the same, whether you were doing it or not. I just finished my Open Degree over about 5 years, and I look back and go 'well, clearly that was five years because all of it really happened and I can see the dates on my emails and so forth, but it really didn't feel like it took that long...'
Reply 64
Original post by l14muk
Ahh I see, I'm doing their Open Degree where you choose your own modules. So the title of the course is BSc (Hons) Open Degree. It won't find anything from the word Open or from the code I found on Which?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure in that case...might have to ring someone up about it! I applied today and it found my course OK.
Reply 65
Not sure in that case...might have to ring someone up about it! I applied today and it found my course OK.

Are you enrolling for a Oct or Feb start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by Persipan
I know it seems like ages at the beginning, buy that time would pass just the same, whether you were doing it or not. I just finished my Open Degree over about 5 years, and I look back and go 'well, clearly that was five years because all of it really happened and I can see the dates on my emails and so forth, but it really didn't feel like it took that long...'

Well I'm 33 now and going to be 40ish by the time I've finished and that seems so far away! But when I go back to when I was 27 that felt like yesterday so I figured it's now or never! One of the reasons I'm not doing an Access course, even though I probably should, is that I don't want it to take even longer!
Reply 67
Original post by l14muk
Are you enrolling for a Oct or Feb start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

October
Reply 68
I enrolled last night for a BA in Language Studies! Starting with German and hopefully going to do French too but as I'm learning German from scratch and haven't studied properly in about 14 years I'm doubtful that after 3 years I'd be fluent so I might stick with German and do English Language as well and hone my German skills. Think I'd rather be totally fluent in at least one language than not be able to speak two very well!

German wise, a great course I'd recommend is the Michel Thomas German course. I learnt German in 2 weeks from that just driving around. Makes it very easy. It'll also help you save time on top of your other commitments.

http://amzn.to/2bW7uko

Regarding being a parent - I'm worried about the same, but someone I know has just finished her degree and she was in the same situation. I asked her advice and she said just make sure you do the assignments straight away!
Reply 69
Original post by Paulxo
German wise, a great course I'd recommend is the Michel Thomas German course. I learnt German in 2 weeks from that just driving around. Makes it very easy. It'll also help you save time on top of your other commitments.

http://amzn.to/2bW7uko

Regarding being a parent - I'm worried about the same, but someone I know has just finished her degree and she was in the same situation. I asked her advice and she said just make sure you do the assignments straight away!

I'm already doing Paul Noble's audio course and after that I was planning on doing Michel Thomas' then Pimsleur then Assimil I think...basically going to do as many audio courses as possible as I can listen to them when washing up or in the car or walking at lunchtime etc.

Yes, will have to get my priorities sorted. Winter should be fine as I'm in the house so much but summer I'm out quite a lot because of hobbies so will have to be really disciplined!
I'm starting BSc Psychology in October :smile:
Reply 71
Course is available to view now, so having a look through!
I'm starting BSc Forensic Psychology in October. Super excited to start!
Original post by Paulxo
Course is available to view now, so having a look through!

I'm just not sure which route to take..alas I'm stuck thinking have I got the stamina to keep up with the workload, and discipline to do the work too. Alas my health is a hinderance at the minute.
Reply 74
I'm starting the 3 year full-time BA in social work in October and really can't wait to get started now. I'm being sponsored by my employer so will work as normal and study around that. Thankfully, I will do all my placements at work which makes things so much easier for me.

Will be nice having some people to chat to on here as I don't know anyone else doing OU at the moment.
Reply 75
Hi!! I am hoping to start mathematics and statistics this October as I am still waiting my loan from student finance to be approved! I have already the books for the modules and I am waiting...
Original post by polinaki
Hi!! I am hoping to start mathematics and statistics this October as I am still waiting my loan from student finance to be approved! I have already the books for the modules and I am waiting...

Check the student finance website and login. if it says payments scheduled, your loan is approved. I had the same thing happen to me but if you contact the uni at [email protected]

they should fix it for you.
Reply 77
I'm going to study Forensic Psychology in February. I'm so excited!
I am starting Natural Sciences: Earth Sciences in February 2017

Quick Reply

Latest