The Student Room Group

Brexiters how will you react when we have a recession?

When we trigger article 50 which will destroy our economy will you still support leaving the EU despite its catastrophic consequences? I'm guessing most of you will just blame immigrants for stealing your job.

Scroll to see replies

what a stupid comment it will NOT destroy our economy we will be free from being the 2nd largest net contributor and also free from a trade block which we have to pay for an trade outside of the EU
''''''trigger'''''' article 50 :teehee:
Reply 3
I don't think you understand economics pal.
anyone who literally based their future on remaining in the EU, probably deserves a **** life so I still don't care.

I voted remain btw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I based my vote for Brexit on the assumption of the worst case scenario from the treasury report. It suggested a 1.5% fall in GDP and around 600,000 job losses, both these occuring over a period of two years.

I take the view that we can survive GDP declining by less than 1% for two years and that a net rise in unemployment of close to zero is not significant.
Original post by intelligent con
When we trigger article 50 which will destroy our economy will you still support leaving the EU despite its catastrophic consequences? I'm guessing most of you will just blame immigrants for stealing your job.

No doubt the Brexiters will blame immigrants and other minorities, they always have done. Since 23rd June and the tiny Brexit 4% majority, Britain has gone back about 50 years. There is a lot more racism, hate crimes, ignorance and bigotry.

I often work with foreign exchange students aged 13-18 in Devon and staff have said there has been a lot more attacks and insults against students this year compared to other years.

I think things like this will get a lot worse if god forbid we ever do leave the EU. Bigoted People saw the tiny Brexit victory as an excuse to rebel against the liberal values brought in by the EU, so we see an increase in racism, homophobia and intolerance.

I think if we leave the EU Britain will become a sad nation of intolerance, selfishness with a feudal hierarchy led by the rich and powerful at the top of the pyramid and the minorities, the poor, the disabled at the bottom. A society where everybody must act the same and fit in. Not a lot different to 1930s Germany or czarist Russian before the revolution. We will become a desperate lone England island steeped in nationalism after Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted independence so they can rejoin the EU and the modern world. Nobody will trade with us and we'll be a broken country.
Reply 8
3/10 clickbait
Original post by GeorgeB16

legit
Original post by Ambitious1999
No doubt the Brexiters will blame immigrants and other minorities, they always have done. Since 23rd June and the tiny Brexit 4% majority, Britain has gone back about 50 years. There is a lot more racism, hate crimes, ignorance and bigotry.

I often work with foreign exchange students aged 13-18 in Devon and staff have said there has been a lot more attacks and insults against students this year compared to other years.

I think things like this will get a lot worse if god forbid we ever do leave the EU. Bigoted People saw the tiny Brexit victory as an excuse to rebel against the liberal values brought in by the EU, so we see an increase in racism, homophobia and intolerance.

I think if we leave the EU Britain will become a sad nation of intolerance, selfishness with a feudal hierarchy led by the rich and powerful at the top of the pyramid and the minorities, the poor, the disabled at the bottom. A society where everybody must act the same and fit in. Not a lot different to 1930s Germany or czarist Russian before the revolution. We will become a desperate lone England island steeped in nationalism after Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted independence so they can rejoin the EU and the modern world. Nobody will trade with us and we'll be a broken country.

I voted Remain but you're talking complete and utter shite.
Excellent question. Here's a guide to being a Brexiter when the proverbial hits the fan:

1) Deny that there's a problem: "This isn't a recession. It's a temporary blip. And we always said this would happen. Anyway, it's a good thing - the economy has been too good too long. This is an overdue re-balancing. All is well"

2) Overhype any positive news: "Ok, the UK is ruined, but look - we just brokered a trade deal with Malawi!"

3) Blame Labour: "They've bloody run the economy into the ground! Gordon Brown should be held to account. And Ed Balls. This is all them."

4) Blame people who voted remain: "Their hearts weren't in leaving the EU and they've let us down. While we had no idea how Brexit would work, we thought that all the experts we've spent ages telling people to ignore might have some ideas. Idiots!"

5) Blame immigrants: "We're still full of foreign looking people.That's where we've gone wrong!"

6) Fearlessly defend Brexit against all odds: "Brexit isn't the problem. It was the solution. But...." (and repeat from step 1)
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh, I doubt many Brexiters will care. But Remainers will over-react, point fingers, shout about how we've ruined the economy.

... And then they'll look daft in five/ten years when the UK economy is stronger than ever.
Reply 13
Original post by JamesN88
I voted Remain but you're talking complete and utter shite.

I'm gonna say, I think he has a point somewhere in there though.
As in, some of the intolerant people who voted Brexit (which is certainly not all) have been fuelled to be even more intolerant. The racism I've seen on social media alone is worrying.
There is already a recession in our membership of the EU.
Wages have decreased.
Original post by Ezme39
I'm gonna say, I think he has a point somewhere in there though.
As in, some of the intolerant people who voted Brexit (which is certainly not all) have been fuelled to be even more intolerant. The racism I've seen on social media alone is worrying.

They haven't suddenly changed overnight though, they're just being more open about their opinions.

Regardless of people's views it's better that their cards are on the table IMO. At least then you know what they truly stand for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by JamesN88
They haven't suddenly changed overnight though, they're just being more open about their opinions.

Regardless of people's views it's better that their cards are on the table IMO. At least then you know what they truly stand for.

Are they being more open, or are some being more extreme because it's like their views are validated? I couldn't really call it either way, but I'd say the latter is also involved
Original post by Ezme39
Are they being more open, or are some being more extreme because it's like their views are validated? I couldn't really call it either way, but I'd say the latter is also involved

I'm not supporting those opinions at all and some of the recent behaviour has been disgraceful, but I find it hard to believe that people suddenly changed in the space of 24 hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
We won't have a recession.
The treasury says at worst 2% lower gdp

2008 took 12% gdp

The IMF who stated 6% admitted they are wrong also the head of the IMF is currently being prosecuted for corruption.

Also any recession will be offset by revitalised industries
Original post by intelligent con

Please can you explain why we will have a recession for certain?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending