The Student Room Group

how do you do history coursework?!

I'm doing 17th century history and the question I'm doing is 'To what extent was demonic literature the major cause of the European witch hunts 1550-1660?' my points so far are:

how literature influenced those in power

how it spread the fear of witches

how it shaped the stereotype

those are my ideas for my argument and against I have:

the role of sceptics

the amount of illiterates

different factors (focusing mainly on the chain approach)

the amount of people who didn't fit the witch stereotype created by literature

firstly; how can i develop these points and secondly; how do you structure the coursework?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mindmaps help, draw up your points and try and link them. Once you've got a rough idea of an argument, go down to a library and find another historian who agrees. And for the love of god make sure to credit them. When it comes to structuring, a sure fire way is:

Introduction.
Bit about authors and their influences on your work.
1st Argument. (Ending on how how this argument helps prove your point, but also its limitations)
1st counter-argument.
2nd Argument
2nd counter-argument.
(keep going with your arguments and counter-arguments until there is nothing left.
Analyse your sources and draw a conclusion from this, ending your piece entirely.

(Ask your tutor for more advice. They want you to pass as much, if not more, than you do lol)
Reply 2
Thank you! I'll try this:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by laurab21
Thank you! I'll try this:smile:

Just remember the most important part. Start it early and finish it early, then you can perfect your piece while everyone else is worrying about a deadline. The people who got As and A*s in my class all had it finished a month or two before the actual deadline, they just kept going over it with the tutor and before you know it, it was gold. The rest of us didn't give ourselves enough time really.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it!
Reply 4
Original post by MPH125
Just remember the most important part. Start it early and finish it early, then you can perfect your piece while everyone else is worrying about a deadline. The people who got As and A*s in my class all had it finished a month or two before the actual deadline, they just kept going over it with the tutor and before you know it, it was gold. The rest of us didn't give ourselves enough time really.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it!

yeh... about that... it's due on Tuesday but i literally can't do it, I've written half a page but I keep panicking then procrastinating I just can't finish it!!
Reply 5
yeh... about that... it's due on Tuesday but i literally can't do it, I've written half a page but I keep panicking then procrastinating I just can't finish it!!

Oh damn. Ok, so how many words have you got, and how many do you need to get?
Reply 6
Original post by MPH125
Oh damn. Ok, so how many words have you got, and how many do you need to get?

481 out of 3500... I'm so screwed...
I'm doing 17th century history and the question I'm doing is 'To what extent was demonic literature the major cause of the European witch hunts 1550-1660?' my points so far are:

how literature influenced those in power

how it spread the fear of witches

how it shaped the stereotype

those are my ideas for my argument and against I have:

the role of sceptics

the amount of illiterates

different factors (focusing mainly on the chain approach)

the amount of people who didn't fit the witch stereotype created by literature

firstly; how can i develop these points and secondly; how do you structure the coursework?

I'd do it for you.
Reply 8
481 out of 3500... I'm so screwed...

Well I'm not going to say you aren't... How many sources have you got? They can really bulk out an argument if used correctly!
Reply 9
Original post by MPH125
Well I'm not going to say you aren't... How many sources have you got? They can really bulk out an argument if used correctly!

I've got plenty of sources, that's the problem, I just can't condense it all down
Reply 10
Then don't, by the sounds of your word count, you don't need to condense anything lmao. Take the main points and expand on them on your own. For example:

When researching my topic, I came across the work of Dr. Tits McGee. Looking into his work further, he made an interesting point about Hitler's stature in history, specifically saying "Hitler was a total asshat and he had a stupid mustache"1. This helps my topic as it concurs with other historians views, such as Dr. A. Hole, and Professor History B.Lows, and it shows that blah blah blah so on and so on.

Just try and tie them all up, no matter how convoluted it might seem, you need a miracle at this point, so clutching at straws is better than nothing right now. You need to get down to a university library. Go to a real quiet area and turn off your phone. Don't leave until you've made a substantial improvement, because at this point, the last thing you have time for is procrastination. If I were you, I'd probably get of TSR and get it done. It sucks, I know full well, but after Tuesday, you will never have to look at that crappy ass assignment brief!
Reply 11
Original post by MPH125
Then don't, by the sounds of your word count, you don't need to condense anything lmao. Take the main points and expand on them on your own. For example:

When researching my topic, I came across the work of Dr. Tits McGee. Looking into his work further, he made an interesting point about Hitler's stature in history, specifically saying "Hitler was a total asshat and he had a stupid mustache"1. This helps my topic as it concurs with other historians views, such as Dr. A. Hole, and Professor History B.Lows, and it shows that blah blah blah so on and so on.

Just try and tie them all up, no matter how convoluted it might seem, you need a miracle at this point, so clutching at straws is better than nothing right now. You need to get down to a university library. Go to a real quiet area and turn off your phone. Don't leave until you've made a substantial improvement, because at this point, the last thing you have time for is procrastination. If I were you, I'd probably get of TSR and get it done. It sucks, I know full well, but after Tuesday, you will never have to look at that crappy ass assignment brief!

you must be making those historian's names up:') 'A.Hole' and 'Tits McGee' but yeh when I say I have too much to condense, I mean I have hundreds of documents, 5 books and a load of other stuff and Tuesday is only the first draft, we have months to alter it, I'm just stressing because I can't get anything down!
Reply 12
you must be making those historian's names up:':wink: 'A.Hole' and 'Tits McGee' but yeh when I say I have too much to condense, I mean I have hundreds of documents, 5 books and a load of other stuff and Tuesday is only the first draft, we have months to alter it, I'm just stressing because I can't get anything down!

Ok, it's not looking so bad then. First draft is not even nearly as bad as final deadline lmao :h: I had this problem myself, I found that I was trying to find anything that was relevant to my topc, but then I just ended up finding everything lmao. You need to change your filter as such lmao, think to yourself "how literature influenced those in power?" when looking through your sources, if you look at it and think "does this say how did?" if not, next source. If you can't twist a source to make it support your arguments, fukin bin that crap :giggle: I have faith in you!
Reply 13
Original post by MPH125
Ok, it's not looking so bad then. First draft is not even nearly as bad as final deadline lmao :h: I had this problem myself, I found that I was trying to find anything that was relevant to my topc, but then I just ended up finding everything lmao. You need to change your filter as such lmao, think to yourself "how literature influenced those in power?" when looking through your sources, if you look at it and think "does this say how did?" if not, next source. If you can't twist a source to make it support your arguments, fukin bin that crap :giggle: I have faith in you!

Okay that seems like a legit method:') Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you informed (btw you should be proud of me, I'm up to 534 words now:wink:)
you must be making those historian's names up:':wink: 'A.Hole' and 'Tits McGee' but yeh when I say I have too much to condense, I mean I have hundreds of documents, 5 books and a load of other stuff and Tuesday is only the first draft, we have months to alter it, I'm just stressing because I can't get anything down!

Hey then don't stress too much! After all it's only the first draft! What you need to do now is make a plan (a bullet point plan of what you're going to include in your essay) It works for me better than doing a mindmap. The plan has to include 4/5 key points or as many points as you like but no more than 10 I would say (e.g. 4 arguments and 4 counter - arguments)
For the structure of the essay - follow MPH125's guide
Choose only relevant information and you don't actually need to use all the documents and books. Maybe have a skim read through a few documents. Also be sure to reference the authors!
Reply 15
Original post by Workangel_24
Hey then don't stress too much! After all it's only the first draft! What you need to do now is make a plan (a bullet point plan of what you're going to include in your essay) It works for me better than doing a mindmap. The plan has to include 4/5 key points or as many points as you like but no more than 10 I would say (e.g. 4 arguments and 4 counter - arguments)
For the structure of the essay - follow MPH125's guide
Choose only relevant information and you don't actually need to use all the documents and books. Maybe have a skim read through a few documents. Also be sure to reference the authors!

I've got the plan sorted, it's just a case of writing it all down aand yeh I'll go through some documentsand hopefully there will be something useful, thanks:smile:
Reply 16
Okay that seems like a legit method:':wink: Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you informed (btw you should be proud of me, I'm up to 534 words now:wink:)

Honestly, I wish you all the best. The trick is not to get as many sources as possible, it's to get as many usable sources as possible lmao. If it's any consolation, you'll never feel happiness quite like finishing a history essay happiness. My brief was "To what extent was religion a factor in the instability of the British Monarchy between 1558 and 1660". Sweet baby Jesus, am I glad to see the end of that hunk of crap :u: Keep me posted ye, I believe in you!!!
Reply 17
Original post by MPH125
Honestly, I wish you all the best. The trick is not to get as many sources as possible, it's to get as many usable sources as possible lmao. If it's any consolation, you'll never feel happiness quite like finishing a history essay happiness. My brief was "To what extent was religion a factor in the instability of the British Monarchy between 1558 and 1660". Sweet baby Jesus, am I glad to see the end of that hunk of crap :u: Keep me posted ye, I believe in you!!!

Okay, I'm gonna spend all day tomorrow writing and hopefully finish it! and your question sounds so good! I'm quite jealous actually and I will do. also another thing, my history teacher hates me because I'm an opinionated ***** and he's marking my coursework, how do I not get marked down?!
Reply 18
Okay, I'm gonna spend all day tomorrow writing and hopefully finish it! and your question sounds so good! I'm quite jealous actually and I will do. also another thing, my history teacher hates me because I'm an opinionated ***** and he's marking my coursework, how do I not get marked down?!

Omg our brief was actual ass, like no. :u: The easiest way for him to mark you down is if you forget to credit a source. It happened to me, and it blows. But generally, a clash of opinions can't get you marked down, as long as you put across a solid and well sourced argument. History is literally all about disagreements. There are historians, at this very ****ing minute, debating on when WW2 started. Just think about that, they have got so little to do, they are still harping on about it. So don't worry, you'll be fine. Just keep your argument balanced, acknowledge flaws and limitations in your argument as well as your strengths and evidence, and you'll go a long way!
Reply 19
Original post by MPH125
Omg our brief was actual ass, like no. :u: The easiest way for him to mark you down is if you forget to credit a source. It happened to me, and it blows. But generally, a clash of opinions can't get you marked down, as long as you put across a solid and well sourced argument. History is literally all about disagreements. There are historians, at this very ****ing minute, debating on when WW2 started. Just think about that, they have got so little to do, they are still harping on about it. So don't worry, you'll be fine. Just keep your argument balanced, acknowledge flaws and limitations in your argument as well as your strengths and evidence, and you'll go a long way!

But Elizabeth and James were bae:wink: Okay, and I could possibly try being nice to him for once, even though he's an *********... he's just so wrong about everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending