The Student Room Group

Should I do an Extended Project Qualification?

I have always thought I wanted to do and EPQ however, now I'm worried I'm not going to have enough time to put in the effort in to get a good grade as I'm also taking biology, chemistry and psychology. I would like to go into veterinary science, and so thought an EPQ would be a great thing to talk about in the interview. But should I focus on getting good grades in my A levels instead?
Also any advice on whether I should do it in the first or second year?
Thank you!
Any advice?!
I think doing an EPQ is great, because not only do you get to further demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to your degree course (assuming you do it on a related topic), but you also develop several skills which are useful for university study, including the ability to carry out independent research, public speaking etc.

I would recommend doing it in the first year if possible. I did mine in the first year, and I actually managed to complete most of it during the holidays between AS and A2, so the majority of it was done by the time I started year 13. If you do it/most of it in the first year, you then have more time to focus on your core A Level subjects in the second year :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I think doing an EPQ is great, because not only do you get to further demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to your degree course (assuming you do it on a related topic), but you also develop several skills which are useful for university study, including the ability to carry out independent research, public speaking etc.

I would recommend doing it in the first year if possible. I did mine in the first year, and I actually managed to complete most of it during the holidays between AS and A2, so the majority of it was done by the time I started year 13. If you do it/most of it in the first year, you then have more time to focus on your core A Level subjects in the second year :smile:

Thank you!! Such helpful advice☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studentlife444
Thank you!! Such helpful advice☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :h:
Reply 5
What does the EPQ involve, in the words of someone who's done it? Do you have to research a topic and provide a summary? Conduct your own scientific study? Write a high fantasy novel??? :P
I'd recommend doing it if you are really interested in the subject and are willing to put time towards it; I certainly learned a lot from doing it! It shows other skills too such as independent study, commitment, essay writing ability and presentation skills but the main point by far is for enjoyment and to expand your knowledge on your given topic. I'd recommend doing it in your first year if possible to minimise the pressure because it does take a lot of time if you want to get a good grade, aside from the 5000 word essay you also have to make a presentation and document what you did/when you did it/changes your tutor recommended etc. Admittedly I was a bit lazy and didn't do much until March in year 13 which was just fantastic for my revision, as I'm sure you can imagine :colondollar: (still got an A* though thankfully)
Original post by blooptop
What does the EPQ involve, in the words of someone who's done it? Do you have to research a topic and provide a summary? Conduct your own scientific study? Write a high fantasy novel??? :P
It's usually a 5000 word essay, although you can write less if you're making a physical product if you do a more arty EPQ. You basically pick a question and investigate it, conducting research from books, academic journals, the Internet or any other source you come across. They're easier to do if you have quite a direct question rather than just making it about a general topic, and examiners like this because you can then effectively 'answer' your own question by the end of the project. They can be on literally anything though, I did mine on EU federalism since it was somewhat relevant to the referendum and my A Level Politics studies. You then have to present your ideas to your tutor and any other relevant people and answer questions about your research.

The EPQ is a project which you complete largely independently. If you do it with AQA, it can be done either as a 5000 word essay, or a 1000 word essay plus an 'artefact', e.g. a play, a sculpture, or a piece of music. If you opt for the 5000 word essay, you'll come up with a title (usually in the form of a question), which you can do research for, and come to a conclusion on at the end of the project (this is the style of EPQ that I did).

In addition to the essay or essay plus artefact, you also need to complete a Log Book, where you write about what you've done so far, what you plan to do next, any changes you've made or will make and any advice your mentor has given you. You also need to give a 10-15 minute presentation at the end of your project, about why you decided to do the EPQ, what you found out, the conclusion of your research, what you'd do differently if you had the chance to complete the EPQ again, and whether you'd recommend the EPQ to others. You need to give the audience the opportunity to ask questions about your project too, to fulfil the requirement of an 'interactive element'.

I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JRKinder
It's usually a 5000 word essay, although you can write less if you're making a physical product if you do a more arty EPQ. You basically pick a question and investigate it, conducting research from books, academic journals, the Internet or any other source you come across. They're easier to do if you have quite a direct question rather than just making it about a general topic, and examiners like this because you can then effectively 'answer' your own question by the end of the project. They can be on literally anything though, I did mine on EU federalism since it was somewhat relevant to the referendum and my A Level Politics studies. You then have to present your ideas to your tutor and any other relevant people and answer questions about your research.

ah that's really cool, and good advice!is there a time minimum on the presentation bit? (can't believe i'm going into sixth form and had to look up what fedaralism was lmao)
ah that's really cool, and good advice!is there a time minimum on the presentation bit? (can't believe i'm going into sixth form and had to look up what fedaralism was lmao)
Well the presentation is only supposed to last about 5 minutes and then they ask you questions for another 5 or 10 mins, but since the two teachers asking me knew me really well it was quite informal and we basically just had a chat about it for half an hour lol

Haha don't worry, I wouldn't expect a non-Politics student to know what federalism is :wink: (unless you're going to do Politics? Either way, it's not until A2!)

Quick Reply

Latest