The Student Room Group

'Hmm, interesting subjects...'

I'm hearing this a lot lately! I'm starting college in a few days and doing Biology, Geography, Maths and Literature.

Anyone doing these subjects or similar?

There must be weirder combinations out there, you guys!?

Scroll to see replies

When I was in sixth form, one of my friends did Computing, Geology and Film Studies :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
When I was in sixth form, one of my friends did Computing, Geology and Film Studies :tongue:

Wow, eclectic! Or maybe just really specifically suited. What did your friend go on to study/do??
Original post by blooptop
Wow, eclectic! Or maybe just really specifically suited. What did your friend go on to study/do??

He completed an extra qualification in computing after A Levels, and he's hoping to study game design at university I think :smile:
Reply 4
What did you get in each of those subjects at GCSE?
I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and drama. The first three are very typical and normally go together, but then when I say drama whoever I'm telling it to suddenly does a double take- it's really quite funny 😂
Reply 6
Original post by Rajive
What did you get in each of those subjects at GCSE?

I got stars in bio and geog, As in maths and English :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by meemily
I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and drama. The first three are very typical and normally go together, but then when I say drama whoever I'm telling it to suddenly does a double take- it's really quite funny 😂

I know a fair few people who did this! For those who enjoy drama, it's less taxing than another academic subject- and so long as it gets the grade, you're at zero disadvantage :smile: ideal really
Reply 8
Original post by meemily

A girl I met recently is doing similar, and wants to go into presenting nature documentaries eventually I think :biggrin:
Original post by Ezme39
I know a fair few people who did this! For those who enjoy drama, it's less taxing than another academic subject- and so long as it gets the grade, you're at zero disadvantage :smile: ideal really

Exactly :biggrin: and it's something to really look forward to in the week (in a different way to looking forward to the other subjects) because it doesn't feel like a proper lesson at all
A girl I met recently is doing similar, and wants to go into presenting nature documentaries eventually I think :biggrin:

Haha that's so cool! I want to do medicine, so drama will definitely give me lots of people skills and the ability to think on my feet, which I feel is vital for this profession :smile:
I'm hearing this a lot lately! I'm starting college in a few days and doing Biology, Geography, Maths and Literature.

Anyone doing these subjects or similar?

There must be weirder combinations out there, you guys!?

Maths Chemistry and politics A2 (just dropped economics after AS)
Reply 12
Original post by meemily
Haha that's so cool! I want to do medicine, so drama will definitely give me lots of people skills and the ability to think on my feet, which I feel is vital for this profession :smile:

A doctor who isn't brusque and unsmiling?! You will singlehandedly save the NHS! ;D
Reply 13
Original post by metaljoe
Maths Chemistry and politics A2 (just dropped economics after AS)

ooh, what are you hoping to do? world domination?
A doctor who isn't brusque and unsmiling?! You will singlehandedly save the NHS! ;D

Well tbh I was thinking about saving the world but, you know, gotta start somewhere :biggrin:
I did both Physics and Politics for A level which is quite an unusual combination for most people (and Maths, some people did Maths/Phys or Maths/Pol but I was the only one with Phys/Pol)
ooh, what are you hoping to do? world domination?

Haha........something like that. I would like to do chemical engineering and pursue a career in that for some time, then get into politics and work my way up and hopefully into the cabinet (if the party wins) so that I can try and sort out this country!
Reply 17
Original post by meemily
Well tbh I was thinking about saving the world but, you know, gotta start somewhere :biggrin:

Someone with both smarts and social suaveness? You're going places. The world will indeed be thanking u one day lmao
Reply 18
Original post by metaljoe
Haha........something like that. I would like to do chemical engineering and pursue a career in that for some time, then get into politics and work my way up and hopefully into the cabinet (if the party wins) so that I can try and sort out this country!

That's an interesting career path :biggrin: so you'll join the government when you've perfected nanobot-aided voter suggestion.... xP
Reply 19
Original post by JRKinder
I did both Physics and Politics for A level which is quite an unusual combination for most people (and Maths, some people did Maths/Phys or Maths/Pol but I was the only one with Phys/Pol)

If there really are going to be more people good at both politics and thinking critically and, you know, understanding data, then i have new hope for the future... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest