The Student Room Group

B in AS Maths to A overall?

I recently got a B in AS Maths with 78 UMS in both C1 & C2, and 81 UMS in S1. Although I was only 3 UMS off an A, I won't be getting anything remarked as I know how unlikely it is for marks to be changed in Maths papers. I am planning on resitting C1 & C2 next year.

My poor performance can be attributed to a number of things. Firstly, I just didn't put enough effort in and I fully acknowledge that - I definitely didn't do as many past papers as I should have. I also believe to a certain extent I choked - even in mock exams I always managed to scrape an A by a few marks. Lastly, my only resource (aside from the few past papers I did) was a CGP guide which I have heard isn't very good.

I want to go to St Andrews to study Physics which requires AAA so I definitely need an A in Maths.

What resources should I use for my modules? (C1/C2/C3/C4/M1)

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by DarkEnergy
I recently got a B in AS Maths with 78 UMS in both C1 & C2, and 81 UMS in S1. Although I was only 3 UMS off an A, I won't be getting anything remarked as I know how unlikely it is for marks to be changed in Maths papers. I am planning on resitting C1 & C2 next year.

My poor performance can be attributed to a number of things. Firstly, I just didn't put enough effort in and I fully acknowledge that - I definitely didn't do as many past papers as I should have. I also believe to a certain extent I choked - even in mock exams I always managed to scrape an A by a few marks. Lastly, my only resource (aside from the few past papers I did) was a CGP guide which I have heard isn't very good.

I want to go to St Andrews to study Physics which requires AAA so I definitely need an A in Maths.

Thanks.

For learning the material:
ExamSolutions
KhanAcademy

For practice:
Edexcel textbooks should suffice. It doesn't matter if you're OCR since I've gotten full marks on OCR papers with my knowledge from Edexcel textbooks.

For maths you don't have to work hard. It's an endurance game. Practice maths 1 hour a day for the next 8 months. Take weekends off. I guarantee you'll achieve an A* just don't stop.

oh and do all textbook questions
Reply 3
This hard becuase they're all so average there isn't one to resit, I'm in the same position but I messed up S1, I got 83 in C1 and 81 in C2 but 73 in S1, so Its clear a resist in S1 would bump me up but with yours maybe you should pick like C1 or whichever you enjoy most and just work on trying to get a higher UMS like 90, it'd give you some good security too, A2 maths makes C1 fun so I'd enjoy doing it again. And you'll have to just do better on average at A2 I guess but it's entirely possible wouldn't doubt it for a second, you're on track for an A, 3 UMS can easily be made up in M1 and you'd only need 80 in C3 & C4
Original post by DarkEnergy

OH and make sure you use examsolutions and physicsandmathstutor

Thanks.

I got BBCC last year with a B in maths, I was 7 UMS off an A and got 70 in C1, resat a few exams, got 97 in C1 and ended up with an A in maths, AAAb at A2.
Oh and make sure you use examsolutions and physicsandmathstutor.
(edited 7 years ago)
use examsolutions and physicsandmathstutor (they've got loads of past papers like solomon and elmwood)..do all the questions in your text book and do iygb papers (some of the questions i did in those past papers came up in my core 3 exam)
Revising C2 is definitely easier the second time round. I got 62 UMS in AS, so I retook it and achieved 100 UMS this year in A2. I honestly just used CGP to go over every topic, doing the questions in the book as I went through it, and I used physicsandmathstutor to do a load of past papers. There's quite a few websites with notes on C2 (and the other modules) if you're stuck with some of the concepts. If you get stuck with anything make sure you clear it up. Not getting help on harder topics was one of the big mistakes I made in AS. Just pace yourself with revision throughout the year. You can do it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by aliciaa1997
(..)

Original post by bubblegumcat
(..)

Original post by WhoDaresWins
(..)

Original post by zayn008
(..)

Original post by Naruke
(..)

Thank you all so much for the great advice, definitely improves my moral for the oncoming academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending