Imperial College London
London

Computing 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TiernanW
They don't ask for your UMS.

Great GCSE results by the way!

Ahhh okay that's great I was getting slightly worried there. Seems like Cambridge is the only uni that does ask.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully I can do as well in A2
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hey guys! :smile:

I just realized that there is no thread for the 2017 Computing applicants, but there is for the 2016 ones.

You don't have to do this bit, but the other thread had it:
Course: MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Software Systems Development @ A2 + Biology @ AS
Grades: AAAAA @ AS + 1A* 8A 1B @ GCSE + Dist* BTEC Level 2 IT. (Apparently GCSEs aren't really used in the decision making process though)
Predicted Grades: Don't know yet, but my goal is 4A* regardless.

So anyone concerns or important points?

How did you decide on Games, VIsion and interaction?
Reply 42
Original post by Someboady
How did you decide on Games, VIsion and interaction?

Simply because I love that area a lot. The first two years of the course are supposed to the be roughly the same no matter what stream you do, so apparently you can switch within those two years.
You have to be predicted at least A*AA, as that is the minimum offer.
Original post by Kawaii289
You have to be predicted at least A*AA, as that is the minimum offer.

Do the offers include a STEP exam?
Original post by ArafatQ
Do the offers include a STEP exam?

From reading other people's offers, yes there is step involved. (nearly all the time)
I see, well that would probably be an exception. You would probably be asked for specific module grades or the ums.
Original post by Kawaii289
From reading other people's offers, yes there is step involved. (nearly all the time)

Ah wow, I had no clue! Do you know which of the STEP exams are taken and what the typical grade requirements are?
In regards to step..

for straight computing, some people get AEA, others get Step 1 and some get neither.
JMC stretches to step 2 and 3 I believe. Again there has been JMC's without step offers too.
Original post by Rabadon
In regards to step..

for straight computing, some people get AEA, others get Step 1 and some get neither.
JMC stretches to step 2 and 3 I believe. Again there has been JMC's without step offers too.

That's so strange... I wonder what the criteria is for choosing who to give a STEP offer to?

Thank you for your help
Hey guys :biggrin:

Course: Mathematics and Computer Science (BEng)

Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing

Grades: A*A*Aa respectively. Also 1 in STEP 1 and 3 in STEP 2

Predicted Grades: Doing AFM this year, hopefully an A* but i doubt ill get an official prediction

Kind of worried about my STEP 2 grade, will that hurt me slightly?
Original post by ArafatQ
That's so strange... I wonder what the criteria is for choosing who to give a STEP offer to?

Thank you for your help

Idk, it's too hard to work out I think there's a lot of factors.

For what it's worth, I didn't get STEP (straight computing).

AS: AAAA
A2 predicted A*A*A*

Not really too relevant though, i'm sure reference, ps, interview etc are all taken into account so I wouldn't try and guess what your offer will be, just try your best :smile:
Original post by Rabadon
Idk, it's too hard to work out I think there's a lot of factors.

For what it's worth, I didn't get STEP (straight computing).

AS: AAAA
A2 predicted A*A*A*

Not really too relevant though, i'm sure reference, ps, interview etc are all taken into account so I wouldn't try and guess what your offer will be, just try your best :smile:

Thank you for your advice. :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by thecsstudent
Hi everyone, got accepted into Imperial computing and starting there in october so if anyone has any questions about applying, interviews etc. feel free to ask :smile: I personally messed up my interview quite badly and missed my offer but somehow got in so don't get too worried if things don't go as expected

Another question for you.

I know you may not know the answer to this, but do you think it would adversely affect my application if I did Further Maths privately again and didn't have a predicted grade for it?

I originally wanted to drop Biology, and move into the FM class at my school so I would be doing Maths, FM, Physics and Software Systems for A2. I was really torn about whether to keep Biology up, but after correspondence with an admissions tutor, I want to keep all 5 on. He basically said that if I was doing the 4, I would be compared to others doing 4 and Imperial see Software Systems as quite applied (which it is), so I would be slightly disadvantaged, all else being equal, to someone taking Chemistry or something like that. If I continue with 5, Further Maths would be a private entry, and thus I don't think I would have a predicted grade (unless teacher's can still input on it), so I'm wondering if this would have a bad effect on the application.

I know you may not know the answer to this, but do you think it would adversely affect my application if I did Further Maths privately again and didn't have a predicted grade for it?

I originally wanted to drop Biology, and move into the FM class at my school so I would be doing Maths, FM, Physics and Software Systems for A2. I was really torn about whether to keep Biology up, but after correspondence with an admissions tutor, I want to keep all 5 on. He basically said that if I was doing the 4, I would be compared to others doing 4 and Imperial see Software Systems as quite applied (which it is), so I would be slightly disadvantaged, all else being equal, to someone taking Chemistry or something like that. If I continue with 5, Further Maths would be a private entry, and thus I don't think I would have a predicted grade (unless teacher's can still input on it), so I'm wondering if this would have a bad effect on the application.

As far as I know, for as long as you are doing FM there is no disadvantage at all. Maybe your teacher can write something about how you are doing in it in the UCAS reference or you can talk about it in the personal statement. What they will mainly care about is what you will get in FM at the end, once you sit for the exams, so I don't think they would put someone at a disadvantage for not being able to provide a predicted grade (there's a lot of people that self study A levels and they don't have predicted grades either I'm guessing). I'm not an admissions tutor though so maybe it would also be a good idea to email the admissions department about it.

I only did 3 and was fine. But you need to do FM.
Reply 56
As far as I know, for as long as you are doing FM there is no disadvantage at all. Maybe your teacher can write something about how you are doing in it in the UCAS reference or you can talk about it in the personal statement. What they will mainly care about is what you will get in FM at the end, once you sit for the exams, so I don't think they would put someone at a disadvantage for not being able to provide a predicted grade (there's a lot of people that self study A levels and they don't have predicted grades either I'm guessing). I'm not an admissions tutor though so maybe it would also be a good idea to email the admissions department about it.

Original post by Rabadon
I only did 3 and was fine. But you need to do FM.

Thanks guys for the advice! I just want to make my application as strong as possible, and I have belief that I can still do well with 5 so I might as well. :tongue:
Hi everyone, got accepted into Imperial computing and starting there in october so if anyone has any questions about applying, interviews etc. feel free to ask :smile: I personally messed up my interview quite badly and missed my offer but somehow got in so don't get too worried if things don't go as expected

I was wondering whether you'd still get STEP as part of an offer even if your school offers no support for it?
Original post by Adsamillion
I was wondering whether you'd still get STEP as part of an offer even if your school offers no support for it?

Yeah you can. Afaik there's no way to see if a school "offers support" for STEP and if there was schools would use it to get their students out of STEP offers etc.
Original post by Adsamillion

Yes unfortunately it happens. My school offered no support for it but I still got a step offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending