The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - Help, I missed my medical school offer!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sunnybacon
They've sent him a very generic email this morning saying his remark has been forwarded on to the Head of Undergraduate Admissions and he'll hear back about their decision "by the end of the week". Seems ridiculous to me, what decision is there to make, the remark is an A so he's met the offer! Arggh more unnecessary stress until we hear back with more information from them :frown:

EDIT: Dad rang them up and had a very stern rant about how it's not acceptable to be so vague about it, and about 10 mins later they confirmed his place and his UCAS status has changed :biggrin::smile:

Oh that's excellent news! So happy for your brother! Haha love the dad rant causing them to quickly update UCAS! Brilliant! So does that mean it's a confirmed place for this year starting September? Not even deferred? I bet your brother is screaming the place down! Exciting :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by amymbs
Hey everyone,

I didnt get into Medicine first time in Year 13 and even when I went to reapply, I achieved AAB last results day, just short of the minimum AAA requirement. I had no idea what to do as I had no backup, so I was almost forced into a gap year as I was just not ready to settle for a different course through clearing. I got myself a job for the year, saved a few bob and ended up retaking a chemistry module and finally got my 3rd A on results Thursday just gone. Im now off to Lancaster Med School!

If anyone has any questions feel free to message me, I know the pain of not getting what you want first time round,

You'll get there :smile:

More good news! Congratulations! And thanks for letting us know your situation. Good to know that Lancaster are ok with resitting A-levels as long as you're not too short of the AAA!

Win Win for you! You've got your place at med school and earned a few bob working making your uni finances easier :smile:
Original post by JayAhm
Oh that's excellent news! So happy for your brother! Haha love the dad rant causing them to quickly update UCAS! Brilliant! So does that mean it's a confirmed place for this year starting September? Not even deferred? I bet your brother is screaming the place down! Exciting :smile:

Original post by Natalierm2707
JUST READ THE EDIT!!
WELL DONE! So so happy for him ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys!! Yup he'll be starting this September :smile:
So anyone else in the same situation, don't give up hope! Remarks and a ton of phone calls pestering medical schools, as well as emailing admissions tutors/deans, can have an effect! :smile:
Reply 83
Guys I missed my offer by one ums! My offer was AAA and I got A*AB and they still rejected me! I'm kind of stuck on what they expect extenuating circumstances to be? I mean I started medication for anxiety and depression over exam period but do you think that will count in my favour?
Original post by Lerche
Guys I missed my offer by one ums! My offer was AAA and I got A*AB and they still rejected me! I'm kind of stuck on what they expect extenuating circumstances to be? I mean I started medication for anxiety and depression over exam period but do you think that will count in my favour?

Yes it will but only if you declared it before you sat the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Hey I missed my offe for KCL too and I'm just waiting for my remark to come back. Can I just ask I he emailed on kings apply or through the admissions email? Thanks

Original post by sunnybacon
Thanks guys!! Yup he'll be starting this September :smile:
So anyone else in the same situation, don't give up hope! Remarks and a ton of phone calls pestering medical schools, as well as emailing admissions tutors/deans, can have an effect! :smile:
Guys I really need to make a decision quickly, so any advice would be highly appreciated!

I got ABC in bio chem and maths respectively and A* in extended project. I have a Warwick Unconditional offer for biomed, but I'm not sure to go for that and apply for Grad entry or take a gap year and resit and apply again. What do you reccommend??? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by husaynm
Hey I missed my offe for KCL too and I'm just waiting for my remark to come back. Can I just ask I he emailed on kings apply or through the admissions email? Thanks

We were pretty persistent, and tbh with King's you have to be (speaking from my 4 years of experience so far as a student there) - definitely message them through the Apply portal saying you're awaiting a remark if you haven't done so already, and also no harm in sending an email to the admissions team to notify them of the situation that way too :smile: Also give them a call, the more pestering you do the better!
Original post by teef
It'll be cheaper and faster for you to resit and reapply. It you don't get in 2nd time, then try the grad route. With fees at £9k a year, you don't really want to have £27k minimum loans to your name for a degree you used as a step up to what you really want to do.
It's easy to get a BMS offer so don't feel bad about turning Warwick down. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True! So true! However, where should I apply this October?!

Also, I haven't done much work experience except SEN school assistant, hospice volunteer, 1week hospital WE, 1week Summer School, 1week neuroscience course all LAST YEAR just carried on with hospice this year, so will I have enough material to write about in my Personal Statement?

Thanks sooooo much! Completely changed my thoughts as all this time I thought I"ll go for Warwick!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Lerche

Sorry to hear that! Have you put in for a remark?! That should be the first thing to attempt to bump it up to A*AA! If not then you could resit the B grade subject and then apply to the med schools that take resits with extenuating circumstances.

Either that or grad med.

Let us know if you need anymore info/help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
My remark came back today and was still a b 😭
I'm going to ring up/email KCL tomorrow but I have no idea what to say to them. Any ideas?
I would spend the rest of my life thanking you if you help me with this!!!!!!

I want to study medicine, but didn't meet any offers and got ABC, but got a biomed offer from Warwick. I've heard it's possible to transfer into medicine after 1st year or 2nd year, is this true? If it's true, after studying the 1st or 2nd year, where can I apply to transfer?????

Thanks so much!!
Original post by teef
Someone kindly posted a list of medical schools in this thread which accept resits. Have a scroll back and just check to see if you meet their GCSE and UKCAT requirements.

You have plenty of experience, my brother had 1 week with a GP, 2 days in a pharmacy and 12 months weekly volunteering in a hospice and he got 4 interviews. Just focus on what you learnt during your experiences i.e. communication with patients, working with people from different backgrounds, showing empathy and compassion etc., and then linking to show how you demonstrate these skills. You can write plenty on stuff from your hospital and hospice experience.

Good luck. 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your post!!! It's very helpful and motivating!! Howver I have researched all UK med schools resit policies and none of them except Exeter will take my ABC A levels without convincing extenuating circumstances!

Does this mean I don't have any choice but to go for biomed and apply for grad entry med? Even if I get A*A*A* because first time was lower than AAB/ABB, most unis wont accept my grades? Please confirm me if I'm right! Please !!

What's the best option!! Thisis literally a life changing decision I am making!!
Thanks!
Original post by Justtryingtolive

I want to study medicine, but didn't meet any offers and got ABC, but got a biomed offer from Warwick. I've heard it's possible to transfer into medicine after 1st year or 2nd year, is this true? If it's true, after studying the 1st or 2nd year, where can I apply to transfer?????

Thanks so much!!

You can apply to Liverpool too ^^ are you eligible for any foundation year courses? Extra year but there are lower grade requirements if you went to an underperforming school or less privileged area
Original post by Justtryingtolive

Thanks so much!!

No, that isn't true. A small handful of courses, such as Bradford, offer courses which have a handful of places to transfer in to a linked Medicine course. Warwick is not one of these.

There is the option of resitting, there a few places that accept applications from resitters, but I'm not up on the specific requirements.

if you take that biomed option, you will have to complete that degree and then apply to medicine as a graduate.
Anyone know a good personal statement website which is cheap?
Original post by wannnbeadoctor
Anyone know a good personal statement website which is cheap?

Yep write it yourself and it's free :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I want to study medicine but I didn't get good grades in my As level but I really worked hard but the out come was bad.And I am sure my teachers cannot predict very high grades. However my plan is I will not apply for any uni this year for medicine I know they will reject me 16 of October. But when the A level result come out in 2017 and I will call for medicine though out clearing in order to get place. Also I cannot take gap due to some family problems. So my question did any one ( family member or friends) get place though out clearing for 2016? Can anyone give me good advice please,I lost my hope.☹️☹️😒😒

Many thanks.
Reply 98
Original post by Mariamjaan
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I want to study medicine but I didn't get good grades in my As level but I really worked hard but the out come was bad.And I am sure my teachers cannot predict very high grades. However my plan is I will not apply for any uni this year for medicine I know they will reject me 16 of October. But when the A level result come out in 2017 and I will call for medicine though out clearing in order to get place. Also I cannot take gap due to some family problems. So my question did any one ( family member or friends) get place though out clearing for 2016? Can anyone give me good advice please,I lost my hope.☹️☹️😒😒

Many thanks.

Good luck with it all dawg all I can see is keep working hard you'll make it eventually with the strive I'm sure you've got, but Yee I got in through clearing but I was on the universities waiting list and that's what some medical schools do after they interview people they put them interviews if they didn't make the first cut, how were your AS's. Hang in there man don't stress too much there's more to life than all the stress 👊🏾👊🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mariamjaan
Hi,

Many thanks.

Hey there! Don't lose hope just make sure you smash your A2 and go on gap year. Make sure that you do an bunch of work experience and activities in your gap year, perhaps even get a job! And then apply for medicine in 2018, your personal statement will be ace and you will have a lot to talk about in your interview. I'm also planning not to apply this year as my chances are slim(i got ABCC). DONT WORRY YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

Quick Reply