The Student Room Group

Is it worth a remark?

Hiya, I was just wondering if it would be worth me getting a remark for my chemistry AS paper - it was 2 marks off the next grade and I need that grade in order for me to carry chemistry to A2.

I'm just wary because I know remarking doesn't usually help in objective subjects such as the sciences - any advice will be welcomed! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
IF it is only two marks, then it' possibly worth paying to have it remarked; he only problem is that there is also a risk that it can go down as well as up.

I'm in a similar position with my psychology papers, so I know it's a pain.

I hoped this helped.
Original post by _entity
Hiya, I was just wondering if it would be worth me getting a remark for my chemistry AS paper - it was 2 marks off the next grade and I need that grade in order for me to carry chemistry to A2.

I'm just wary because I know remarking doesn't usually help in objective subjects such as the sciences - any advice will be welcomed! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right that it normally doesn't change much in the objective subjects, but it can always be worth a shot if you're willing to pay the money (who knows if the marker was concentrating or not) - it does depend on your own personal financial situation though I'm afraid.

It might be worth having a think though, do you want to study this at Uni? If you do get through to A2, will you be able to do the subject? It's going to be just as hard, if not harder at A2. Was it a case of not trying hard enough or do you not enjoy the subject enough/find it too difficult?

If the answer is the latter, then it probably isn't worth getting it remarked. Focus on the subjects you really enjoy, in the case of you loving the subject a lot, you wouldn't have asked the question, you'd have just paid for it.

I hope this helps

Sam @ studentwise.uk
Reply 3
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
IF it is only two marks, then it' possibly worth paying to have it remarked; he only problem is that there is also a risk that it can go down as well as up.

I'm in a similar position with my psychology papers, so I know it's a pain.

I hoped this helped.

Yes exactly it's so risky getting a remark I know how you feel right now 😞 hope it works out for you though! More likelihood of marks in a psych paper going up than in a Chem paper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Sam.StudentWise
You're right that it normally doesn't change much in the objective subjects, but it can always be worth a shot if you're willing to pay the money (who knows if the marker was concentrating or not) - it does depend on your own personal financial situation though I'm afraid.

It might be worth having a think though, do you want to study this at Uni? If you do get through to A2, will you be able to do the subject? It's going to be just as hard, if not harder at A2. Was it a case of not trying hard enough or do you not enjoy the subject enough/find it too difficult?

If the answer is the latter, then it probably isn't worth getting it remarked. Focus on the subjects you really enjoy, in the case of you loving the subject a lot, you wouldn't have asked the question, you'd have just paid for it.

I hope this helps

Sam @ studentwise.uk

That is very true - 2 marks can easily be picked up some where even if it's 1 mark between each paper?

And yes I definitely want to carry it to a2 I think my underperformance was due to nerves and not revising certain bits hard enough - I paid for it the other day! Thank you for your advice I'm just skeptical on whether or not it'll make a difference 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest