The Student Room Group

Need to start applying for a job soon 🙃

as I'm soon to be 16 I will be receiving my national insurance card very soon. I'm Soo chuffed as this mean I can start applying for a job and earn my own money. My question is ...
Where can I get a job or even volunteer aged 16?!?!?
E.g Boots,Deliveroo
Btw I obviously part-time due to the fact I'm going into yr11 dun dum dunnn GCSE's
Reply 1
You don't recieve a card anymore , just a letter with your NI number
Wouldnt get your hopes up. Jobs are like hens teeth these days. You are as likely to die in a car crash as you are of obtaining reliable full time employment. Dont know how hard part time roles are to get tho, never tried.
When you get over excited because the government finally revealed your barcode... Enjoy your time in Year 11. Sixth Form/College is Hell. Trust me I know. :colonhash:
Man I remember when I was 16... life was so easy.
It's quite hard when you're still in high school to get a job, most people prefer you to have done your GCSEs. However there's no harm in getting started and people do find jobs while at school - just look everywhere and don't be fussy. For larger businesses you can check on their website about how they hire people (as in do you give them a CV, apply online or fill in an app form). For smaller business you can go in and ask to speak to the manager and ask them how they hire (try and look smart and be polite for this... not a suit but don't wear trackies with your pants hanging out or something). Be on the look out for christmas temp work at the moment as they will be less picky with who they hire but generally keep on good members of staff once christmas is over. Don't apply only to big businesses (like tesco) but look at small local shops/cafes as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Soul_13
You don't recieve a card anymore , just a letter with your NI number

Ohh didn't know that thanks for the heads up ?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Laomedeia
Wouldnt get your hopes up. Jobs are like hens teeth these days. You are as likely to die in a car crash as you are of obtaining reliable full time employment. Dont know how hard part time roles are to get tho, never tried.

Hmm thanks for that 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply to John Lewis!
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
It's quite hard when you're still in high school to get a job, most people prefer you to have done your GCSEs. However there's no harm in getting started and people do find jobs while at school - just look everywhere and don't be fussy. For larger businesses you can check on their website about how they hire people (as in do you give them a CV, apply online or fill in an app form). For smaller business you can go in and ask to speak to the manager and ask them how they hire (try and look smart and be polite for this... not a suit but don't wear trackies with your pants hanging out or something). Be on the look out for christmas temp work at the moment as they will be less picky with who they hire but generally keep on good members of staff once christmas is over. Don't apply only to big businesses (like tesco) but look at small local shops/cafes as well.

Thanks 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Apply to John Lewis!

Thanks didn't know they hire at 16 gonna do a bit of research 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mas0n
as I'm soon to be 16 I will be receiving my national insurance card very soon. I'm Soo chuffed as this mean I can start applying for a job and earn my own money. My question is ...
Where can I get a job or even volunteer aged 16?!?!?
E.g Boots,Deliveroo
Btw I obviously part-time due to the fact I'm going into yr11 dun dum dunnn GCSE's

For most jobs you have to be of school leaving age which, even though you're sixteen soon, you won't be. Most jobs in large stores such as Waterstones or Aldi require you to have left school (June in your last yesr). However, cafes and restaurants are more likely to take you on as they're independent. Look at your local busy, not new preferably, eateries. I've only ever worked in new restaurants and within a few months they close down from no business - and it's always minimum wage. Now I'm in a sturdy job at an independent restaurant which has been around for years - there's extremely low chances of the business closing. You don't want to be out of a job as soon as you get one 😊

Tip: don't do more than 8 hours a week if you're studying for your gcses, you need to focus on your study before anything else. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by fxlloutboyy
For most jobs you have to be of school leaving age which, even though you're sixteen soon, you won't be. Most jobs in large stores such as Waterstones or Aldi require you to have left school (June in your last yesr). However, cafes and restaurants are more likely to take you on as they're independent. Look at your local busy, not new preferably, eateries. I've only ever worked in new restaurants and within a few months they close down from no business - and it's always minimum wage. Now I'm in a sturdy job at an independent restaurant which has been around for years - there's extremely low chances of the business closing. You don't want to be out of a job as soon as you get one 😊

Tip: don't do more than 8 hours a week if you're studying for your gcses, you need to focus on your study before anything else. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending