The Student Room Group

should uneducated people vote??

there was a BBC programme on Brexit in Margate, and some chav woman was interviewed saying that we are "Great Britain" and we want the "great" back.

cleary she doesn't know what great in this case means, so should chavs be allowed to vote?
Original post by kimkarsd
there was a BBC programme on Brexit in Margate, and some chav woman was interviewed saying that we are "Great Britain" and we want the "great" back.

cleary she doesn't know what great in this case means, so should chavs be allowed to vote?

I think she said that because she wants the "great" to feel relevant again

It's just a way of saying that she doesn't think our kingdom is 'great' any more. Everyone knows it's Great Britain because it's the larger of the 2 main British Isles
Reply 3
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
I think she said that because she wants the "great" to feel relevant again

i strongly doubt that, most chavs believe it means great/powerful.
Perhaps we should sink more money into the education system and stop glorifying celebrities with no discernible talent; then there will be fewer 'chavs' and less anti-intellectualism. This would, at least, produce more informed voters.

i strongly doubt that, most chavs believe it means great/powerful.

Reverting back to your original point. If you believe in democracy then everyone has equal rights to vote, It's like how people said old people should not have been able to vote in the referendum.

What did she do wrong? What does Great mean in this case?

How are you going to decide who can and cannot vote?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
What did she do wrong? What does Great mean in this case?

How are you going to decide who can and cannot vote?

Pretty common knowledge that it means Greater Britain.

I dunno, probably some education test, or an aptitude test.

but nice to see your bullish attitude, and selective/projective thinking.
Reply 8
Yes, every mentally stable law-abiding citizen should be allowed to vote.
Pretty common knowledge that it means Greater Britain.

I dunno, probably some education test, or an aptitude test.

but nice to see your bullish attitude, and selective/projective thinking.

Sounds like she is using it along the lines of what Panda said at #3 and similar to the way they use it in this article. Just her way of saying she believes a GB outside the EU would have a greater reputation and pride in itself. Just rhetoric.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8771077/David-Cameron-campaigns-to-put-the-Great-back-in-Britain.html

https://www.royalarmouries.org/projects/press/putting-the-great-into-britain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-harlan-k-ullman/putting-the-great-back-in_b_6134878.html
There needs to be more regulations on what politicians can say. E.g. don't say there is £350 million for a new hospital every week unless you're actually planning on building a new hospital every week. Politicians that lie like that should be locked up for manipulating the idiots that soak it all up like a sponge.

Maybe instead of this PSHE crap that no school actually teaches, kids should be taught not to trust everything they hear on TV and to do a little bit of research before they vote.
Reply 11
Yep, only educated people should be able to vote. I think the minimum level should be set at a PhD. Any other sort of education anyone can easily get so would make no difference.
it is deeply irreesponsible to vote in an election where you do not understand the issues or the candidates. it is also aggressive to other voters because it sends the signal that you feel like your uneducated vote should replace an educated one.

that's not to say people should be barred from voting - and to be honest OP your belief that she ought to be simply because she thinks that "great britain isn't great any more" is in no way a good display from you of a voter being uneducated. there are recent issues with our country which contrast with the nature of the country maybe a decade or so ago. but I won't go into it.
(edited 7 years ago)
It is difficult to define uneducated. Even if you could have a perfect broad measure of how informed people are, where would you draw the line? Wherever you draw it there will always be people relatively uneducated. Once you have started down that path, why not go to a full technocratic form of government?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending