The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
I'm pretty amazed that you think doctors are expendable in this regard in ways that lawyers and accountants are not. Engineers and scientists are in a bit of a separate category as they tend to solve longer term problems.

Without lawyers we would not have a society at all.

Without accountants no organisation would work.

I think my ordering was actually completely wrong, it should be:

lawyers > accountants > engineers > scientists

You actually don't really need scientists as such, they're just theoretical engineers. They make engineering more efficient, and maybe shouldn't be classed separately at all, but trial and error by dumber engineers would get there eventually.

Doctors make you live to 81 rather than 76 if you are lucky. They are about useful as the insurance industry, which is pretty useful, but certainly not a society-breaking loss.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Observatory

You actually don't really need scientists as such, they're just theoretical engineers. They make engineering more efficient, and maybe shouldn't be classed separately at all, but trial and error by dumber engineers would get there eventually.

Doctors make you live to 81 rather than 76 if you are lucky. They are about useful as the insurance industry, which is pretty useful, but certainly not a society-breaking loss.

I certainly think you are a troll now :laugh:

You seem like a bitter person who tried and didn't get into medical school and resorts to thrashing doctors.

I pray you or your loved ones never get into an accident or fall ill and require their help.

Not eveyone need them, but i am alive because of what doctors and nurses did for me in the past and so are millions around the world. So stop being so narrow minded and learn to widen your perspectives on society. All jobs should be treated fairly and with respect, especially considering a lot of them put in years of hard wrok for others.
Original post by jangosondon
You seem like a bitter person who tried and didn't get into medical school and resorts to thrashing doctors.

lol, what I do is much harder than medical school.

I pray you or your loved ones never get into an accident or fall ill and require their help.

Because they will stalk me to find out who I am and then murder my grandmother?

Not eveyone need them, but i am alive because of what doctors and nurses did for me in the past and so are millions around the world. So stop being so narrow minded and learn to widen your perspectives on society. All jobs should be treated fairly and with respect, especially considering a lot of them put in years of hard wrok for others.

Great. Some people are alive because of the insurance industry. But almost everyone is alive because of industrial agriculture, the sewage system, and double-entry bookkeeping. Those things do not make as good TV shows, but they are more important than medicine.
I

People don't understand without Mathematics nothing works.
Literally nothing.
Sciences everything, contacting people, everything you know today does not exist. Hell no one would exist if it wasn't for Turing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol, what I do is much harder than medical school.

Never said what you are doing is easy or hard, that depends on the person's ability. Hardness of a degree has nothing to do with entry requirements.
But bear in mind they have 5-6 years undergrad degree with many sleepless nights and probably at least 5-8 years of postgrad education. I'd consider that long and hard.
Effectively, you didn't even deny my initial statement.

Because they will stalk me to find out who I am and then murder my grandmother?

I'm sure most of them are sensible, but you'd probably regret what you said about them.

Great. Some people are alive because of the insurance industry. But almost everyone is alive because of industrial agriculture, the sewage system, and double-entry bookkeeping. Those things do not make as good TV shows, but they are more important than medicine.

Everything is important. But I'm sure medicine has saved millions more lives than others. Most people can live without insurance, lawyers, accountants etc, but at one point they might need a doctor. Plus, i'm sure most doctors have the pleasure of saying at the end of the day they save lives to make a living.If medicine was so useless, why does the uk government spend almost £100bn on them ? Because these lawmakers and politicians are intelligent enough to realise that it is one of the most important aspects for the survival of a society. Or else we would have been another ethiopia or uganda.I'd say engineers, scientists and doctors are probably the most important in a society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
I

Literally nothing.
Sciences everything, contacting people, everything you know today does not exist. Hell no one would exist if it wasn't for Turing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

absolutely. it is needed everywhwere and no one can deny this.

But Turing ? Well people lived before he was born. :colone:

Some poeple just don't understand how important other professions are and think the world revolves around them lol
absolutely. it is needed everywhwere and no one can deny this.

But Turing ? Well people lived before he was born. :colone:

Some poeple just don't understand how important other professions are and think the world revolves around them lol

Obviously I meant that the war would have potentially been lost if it was not for turing.
Lol, how about chartered accountant at the beginning. If you want to run a company to make the biggest dough, being a CA is where its at

Without doctors, I'd have died at age 20 and my brother would almost certainly have died at birth.*

You don't strike me as a moron, so I'll give you the credit of assuming you're being disingenuous.*
gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8 :smile:
Original post by TurboCretin
Without doctors, I'd have died at age 20 and my brother would almost certainly have died at birth.

That might be true for all I know but society would have gone on without you.
I

Literally nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That isn't true. People built ocean-going ships without having much idea how or why they worked. You can get a good approximation of the right answer just by accumulated trial and error.

Now I don't mean to push this too far - scientists do make the process a lot more efficient (although engineers can also do maths) - which is why I put them on the list at all, but they belong last on the list.
(edited 7 years ago)
But I'm sure medicine has saved millions more lives than others. Most people can live without insurance, lawyers, accountants etc, but at one point they might need a doctor.
This is simply false. A society that does not have working law and working organisations - look at any of the communist countries of the mid 20th century - cannot sustain human life at current population densities. Your statement seems to assume that the industrial economy will keep going without any of the people who make it work.
That might be true for all I know but society would have gone on without you.

****ing hell, what a dickhead.
Only a dickhead says that.
****ing hell, what a dickhead.
Only a dickhead says that.

Sorry to break it to you but you are not personally essential to society either.
Sorry to break it to you but you are not personally essential to society either.

Whoaah.
Thanks for breaking it to me.
Changin lives bro.

Guess what mate, you are useless to society too
Original post by NPWorld
Guess what mate, you are useless to society too

No I'm not.
Engineers>Doctors>Lawyers>Scientists

Latest

Trending

Trending