City University
London
Visit website

I studied at City University London - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bioloves
Is it worth going on the tour during welcome week
Also is the freshener so fair any good be ill have to travel by bus or walk be its in a hall and not on campus

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tour is useful as they show you where everything is and explain how things work, you may as well as you could meet new people during your tour :smile:

Freshers fair is 100% worth it. It's one of very few opportunities to get to meet representatives of all the societies and sports teams and get more information and sign up. Some companies also set up stalls so you could get an insight into jobs beyond City. I went every year and it's always worth it.

Original post by martellight
Hey I got two questions.

Whats the pre induction day at City like and is it worth going to it? I just recently got notice of it being from 9am to 4pm and was wondering if it was worth attending.

Also, would you recommend doing an extra year for a work experience placement? My course is Economics, so how valuable would it be for post-graduation employment?

Good luck on your placement btw

Pre-induction is boring but you should go because it tells you all the things about your course, the uni, job prospects, etc... It won't last the whole day to be honest (it didn't for me).

Experience is always recommended, even if you had worked before, the year in industry will prove so valuable for your CV and in some courses, can count towards your final grade. Even if it doesn't count towards your degree, you will have had a year working which is really advantageous after you graduate. I highly recommend you do it if the option is available.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by martellight
Hey I got two questions.

Whats the pre induction day at City like and is it worth going to it? I just recently got notice of it being from 9am to 4pm and was wondering if it was worth attending.

Also, would you recommend doing an extra year for a work experience placement? My course is Economics, so how valuable would it be for post-graduation employment?

Good luck on your placement btw

yeah i was wondering the same thing... is the pre induction day a must -- and is it on the 19th? thanks
Original post by UWS
The tour is useful as they show you where everything is and explain how things work, you may as well as you could meet new people during your tour :smile:

Freshers fair is 100% worth it. It's one of very few opportunities to get to meet representatives of all the societies and sports teams and get more information and sign up. Some companies also set up stalls so you could get an insight into jobs beyond City. I went every year and it's always worth it.

Pre-induction is boring but you should go because it tells you all the things about your course, the uni, job prospects, etc... It won't last the whole day to be honest (it didn't for me).

Experience is always recommended, even if you had worked before, the year in industry will prove so valuable for your CV and in some courses, can count towards your final grade. Even if it doesn't count towards your degree, you will have had a year working which is really advantageous after you graduate. I highly recommend you do it if the option is available.

What is the pre induction day, I've never heard anything about it?
Reply 43
Original post by shazy2014
What is the pre induction day, I've never heard anything about it?

Original post by fazza6200
yeah i was wondering the same thing... is the pre induction day a must -- and is it on the 19th? thanks

It usually happens during Freshers week, you'll get a few talks about the uni, your course. Not sure if every course has it though, if no one has said anything then you don't need to worry about it
Original post by UWS
It usually happens during Freshers week, you'll get a few talks about the uni, your course. Not sure if every course has it though, if no one has said anything then you don't need to worry about it

Oh okay, thank you:smile:
I haven't heard about it though so I won't worry!
What sort of societies and clubs are available? And how much do things cost. Apart from the cafe which I've been to inside city uni, is there any other on campus food places and what about fast food shops around the uni? Thanks. Probably asking about food coz I'm so hungry rn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by fazza6200
What sort of societies and clubs are available? And how much do things cost. Apart from the cafe which I've been to inside city uni, is there any other on campus food places and what about fast food shops around the uni? Thanks. Probably asking about food coz I'm so hungry rn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a look here for a list of all the societies and sports clubs. There's just too many to name lol, but generally there's a society for each religion and some of the countries in Europe and Asia.
https://www.culsu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/
http://www.city.ac.uk/sport-and-leisure

When you say "how much do things cost?", what do you mean? Society memberships range from £1-£10 and that covers most of the costs for the entire year, though some events you'll have to pay for but you get it at a discount if you are a member.

There's a nice cafe on Goswell Road that sells wraps and a snack for a fiver. I highly recommend it, they have so many options and so many different fillings and really worth it. You also have a fish and chip shop near the uni and a few other cafes that do stuff like home made food. If you go towards Barbican, there's also a pasta shop that do really nice pasta. But all of the major food places are in Angel. There's GBK, Five Guys, Nandos, Jamie's Italian, Wagamamas and lots of other places to eat, I can't name them all lol. Though food isn't cheap around the uni, so if you're on a tight budget, these places may not appeal to you.

Of course, there's always Tesco and Sainsburys nearby if you want the £3 meal deal :biggrin:
Original post by UWS
Take a look here for a list of all the societies and sports clubs. There's just too many to name lol, but generally there's a society for each religion and some of the countries in Europe and Asia.

When you say "how much do things cost?", what do you mean? Society memberships range from £1-£10 and that covers most of the costs for the entire year, though some events you'll have to pay for but you get it at a discount if you are a member.

There's a nice cafe on Goswell Road that sells wraps and a snack for a fiver. I highly recommend it, they have so many options and so many different fillings and really worth it. You also have a fish and chip shop near the uni and a few other cafes that do stuff like home made food. If you go towards Barbican, there's also a pasta shop that do really nice pasta. But all of the major food places are in Angel. There's GBK, Five Guys, Nandos, Jamie's Italian, Wagamamas and lots of other places to eat, I can't name them all lol. Though food isn't cheap around the uni, so if you're on a tight budget, these places may not appeal to you.

Of course, there's always Tesco and Sainsburys nearby if you want the £3 meal deal :biggrin:

Oh thank you! You had me at nandos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS

You had me at nandos lol

And thanks for the link it's so useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
Congrats to all new starters at City University London! I studied Computer Science for 4 years and now I'm on a graduate scheme for Sky. For those starting, reply with your questions!

I'll try to answer everything I know about living in halls, uni, courses, places to eat, career prospects, nightlife, etc..

Or you can PM me if there's anything you want to discuss privately.

Go!

What's the campus like? Is it several main buildings dotted around London or is there a campus feel to it? Are there any sports facilities like an Astroturf or Gym and how much are they? How expensive in your opinion is it to study in london?
Reply 50
Original post by Ze Witcher
What's the campus like? Is it several main buildings dotted around London or is there a campus feel to it? Are there any sports facilities like an Astroturf or Gym and how much are they? How expensive in your opinion is it to study in london?

It's OK. There is one main campus in Angel and Cass Business Schools, which is in like Moorgate. Cass Building is mainly for Postgraduates but it's very nice and much better than the main campus. As far as a campus feel, there really isn't one if I'm being perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible but don't expect too much in terms of aesthetics.

There is a Virgin Active Gym down the road, I think it's about £40 a month to join and that's where all the students go. Not sure about AstroTurf though... never played 5-a-side football at uni but they have sports facilities in CitySport (hard courts).

It's expensive in London because of the rent and food costs, but it depends on where in London you go. Central London will be very expensive.
On average how many people are on each course?
Also it is true that if your late to lecture 9am they don't let you in !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by bioloves
On average how many people are on each course?
Also it is true that if your late to lecture 9am they don't let you in !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm that depends on the course really, 100 or so perhaps? I know some have like 10-20 people and others have 150+ so it really depends.

Some lecturers are strict and won't let you in for the first half of the lecture if you are late by more than 10 minutes (sometimes 5). Other lecturers won't mind if you come in late with **** stained khakis lol.
Did your placement year help you get your grad scheme?

I rejected city and chose a russell group, i'm concerned because I doubt I can get into those like Accenture and PwC

Would you say those who got those jobs attained high grades in their course? (i.e a 2:1 or a first?)

Did you have prior programming experience? I'm going into my course with none and wondered if you had any heads up
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Is that your real face?
Original post by rolaah
Is that your real face?

Loooool best question obvs 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
Congrats to all new starters at City University London! I studied Computer Science for 4 years and now I'm on a graduate scheme for Sky. For those starting, reply with your questions!

I'll try to answer everything I know about living in halls, uni, courses, places to eat, career prospects, nightlife, etc..

Or you can PM me if there's anything you want to discuss privately.

Go!

Do you need to take any photos of yourself to the induction week?
Original post by Feliza
Hi,
Hope you are well,

I was just wondering whether the professional services provided at City University such as modern language courses and computing courses are provided for free for the undergraduates?

Also, do you think by undertaking such extra curricular courses, there will be enough time allocated to the undergraduate degree like the Accounting and Finance degree I will be studying?

How intense is the Accounting and Finance course as since it is accredited by ICEAW, a professional accounting institute, the course can be difficult?

Any responses would be much appreciated, Thank You :smile:

Yes as far I know the language courses are free.

Yeah, there definitely will be plenty of free time for ECs, especially in your first year.

It's pretty good from what I've heard, Cass courses generally are great at preparing you for a career in finance. Having said that, it probably wouldn't be as intense as the equivalent course in LSE or UCL. But I suppose that's subjective.
Reply 58
Original post by kingLAWZA
Did your placement year help you get your grad scheme?

I rejected city and chose a russell group, i'm concerned because I doubt I can get into those like Accenture and PwC

Would you say those who got those jobs attained high grades in their course? (i.e a 2:1 or a first?)

Did you have prior programming experience? I'm going into my course with none and wondered if you had any heads up

Yes placement helped me mainly with the way I handled my dissertation in final year. For me, my placement was worth 20% of my degree and because I did so well, it mad my final year a lot easier. It depends what you do during placement though but it does help you for final year and the final grade.

Only had knowledge in Pascal. Learned everything else during my course. They teach you the basics first so anyone can pick it up fast.

Original post by rolaah
Is that your real face?

Yes, I'm Nick Young! :smile:

Original post by shazy2014
Do you need to take any photos of yourself to the induction week?

No, they will take your photo when they issue you with a new ID card.

Original post by Feliza
Hi,
Hope you are well,

I was just wondering whether the professional services provided at City University such as modern language courses and computing courses are provided for free for the undergraduates?

Also, do you think by undertaking such extra curricular courses, there will be enough time allocated to the undergraduate degree like the Accounting and Finance degree I will be studying?

How intense is the Accounting and Finance course as since it is accredited by ICEAW, a professional accounting institute, the course can be difficult?

Any responses would be much appreciated, Thank You :smile:

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the extra curricular courses you are talking about :frown: it was not something I did during my time here.

It depends how you manage your time. It's very tough to manage both as uni courses content is designed to keep you busy
It's doable if you're committed enough though.

I know from my friends that the Accounting and Finance is a tough course but people do well on it (2:1 or above). Not sure about the specifics about that course though.

Sorry I couldn't help as much with your questions :frown:
Reply 59
Oh my god it's Nick Young! Didn't realise you went to City mate :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending