The Student Room Group

Applying to University for a third time?

To say the least I've kind of been all over the place since A Levels :frown:
I initially applied for VetMed, having gathered around 11 or so weeks worth of work experience, got two interviews and sadly ended up with 5 rejects. The whole process was incredibly stressful, and I ended up with BBCbc anyway so I decided this route wasn't actually the best match for me. Even if I did resit, I knew I'd end up being a drop out from the academic stress Vet school would provide. So I convinced myself becoming a Chemistry teacher would be better suited - just because I enjoyed the subject at A Level? -.- Started this degree at Reading for 7 months, dropped out as it was just so boring aha. Had zero drive to try to learn any of the content.
So I then tried to think about my routes, my old passions, something I'd actually enjoy. Having been very artistic since I was young, and I continued my hobby throughout the years, I thought an Art degree would be an investment into improving my technical ability and providing time to find work experience and build a rep. So I got into University through clearing, and started a Painting and Drawing course. And I am happy, pretty stress free, but not passionate about the subject. I did a residency at a Zoo, drawing their animals from life, using photographs as resources for paintings.
But I don't want to settle. Whenever I am at a zoo, farm, some form of animal interaction (more with wildlife apposed to domestic), I kind of feel 'lit up'? Genuinely happy. If I enjoyed art this much, I wouldn't keep procrastinating, never making time to sit down and paint or draw.
So I've started thinking - maybe a Zoo Keeper? I'd deal with the crap pay, as happiness > money.
I know you can become one without a degree, just with a whole load of experience. However you'd still be lacking academic knowledge, which I enjoy learning, I still love science, but I still hate exams.
So is it worth applying through clearing again for Zoology? I would only have funding for 2 out of 3 years. However I've looked into private student funding, from Future Finance. And having a part time job, repaying around £50 a month isn't too bad to secure a happy future.

Super long, I know :frown: sorry!
I just want to be happy, to make a difference and be proud of the life I'm living.
PLEASE ADVISE
Definitely do what you enjoy.
Whether it be a zoo keeper, or even a veterinary nurse.
Clearly your passion is with animals, so keep looking into that.

Good luck OP! :h:
Reply 2
Thanks! :smile:
Funny story, within all this time I did actually get an offer to get Vet Nursing prior to the Art offer. But it just wasn't the right type of environment, or really challenging in the right way if that makes sense :frown: during the work experience for the nurse, I just wanted to learn about whatever the Vet was doing aha. The family jokes about me never sticking to one thing, is endless...
Original post by kinkajou.
Thanks! :smile:
Funny story, within all this time I did actually get an offer to get Vet Nursing prior to the Art offer. But it just wasn't the right type of environment, or really challenging in the right way if that makes sense :frown: during the work experience for the nurse, I just wanted to learn about whatever the Vet was doing aha. The family jokes about me never sticking to one thing, is endless...

Haha I can understand! Is there no way you'd want to consider VetMed again? It sounds to me it's what you really want to do, but it's just the possibility of stress that's putting you off. Don't settle - if you want it, do it :smile:

My family are the same in terms of making jokes, that's what they're there for, just don't let it get to you :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by A-LJLB
Haha I can understand! Is there no way you'd want to consider VetMed again? It sounds to me it's what you really want to do, but it's just the possibility of stress that's putting you off. Don't settle - if you want it, do it :smile:

My family are the same in terms of making jokes, that's what they're there for, just don't let it get to you :wink:

To be fair I don't think my personality is very well suited either, when I'm nervous I start cracking jokes and try to smile my way out of it, which is why the interviews didn't go too well ahaha >.< I've definitely accepted and moved on about being a vet, although I would've wanted to become a wildlife vet anyway. So at least it's not too far from it! As long as there's a mental challenge, and I feel like I'm making a difference, I think I'll be happy :biggrin: which is probably why I've reached this point since doing Art.

They're just jelllyyyy :u:
(edited 7 years ago)
To be fair I don't think my personality is very well suited either, when I'm nervous I start cracking jokes and try to smile my way out of it, which is why the interviews didn't go too well ahaha >.< I've definitely accepted and moved on about being a vet, although I would've wanted to become a wildlife vet anyway. So at least it's not too far from it! As long as there's a mental challenge, and I feel like I'm making a difference, I think I'll be happy :biggrin: which is probably why I've reached this point since doing Art.

They're just jelllyyyy :u:

I'm the same when I'm nervous!
If you're happy with Zoology, go for it! Just make sure you really have moved on from being a vet, because if you haven't, I promise you you will regret it later down the line...

I think you need to do some more research in the next couple of months before jumping into another degree. You want to prove your family wrong :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by A-LJLB
I'm the same when I'm nervous!
If you're happy with Zoology, go for it! Just make sure you really have moved on from being a vet, because if you haven't, I promise you you will regret it later down the line...

I think you need to do some more research in the next couple of months before jumping into another degree. You want to prove your family wrong :wink:

Very wise words! The thing is I don't really have a couple of months as clearing's open and all :afraid: I'm thinking of volunteering abroad for a few weeks, and ideally I would be able to do that prior to making this decision but I don't want the places to get swallowed up! I'm looking at Anglia Ruskin :beard: they seem to have a good range of module options, and my grades shouldn't be an issue. I'm trying not to do what I always do >.< as soon as I make a decision I just go for it full throttle ahah
Very wise words! The thing is I don't really have a couple of months as clearing's open and all :afraid: I'm thinking of volunteering abroad for a few weeks, and ideally I would be able to do that prior to making this decision but I don't want the places to get swallowed up! I'm looking at Anglia Ruskin :beard: they seem to have a good range of module options, and my grades shouldn't be an issue. I'm trying not to do what I always do >.< as soon as I make a decision I just go for it full throttle ahah

I assumed you were going to apply this cycle, in which case you'd have had plenty of time!
Reply 8
Original post by A-LJLB
I assumed you were going to apply this cycle, in which case you'd have had plenty of time!

The only problem with that is I'd lose an extra year of funding :frown: Since I've completed 1 year doing Fine Art, used up another year before doing Chemistry.

Is there actually much to prepare you for what any course truly entails? I can imagine the descriptions of module contents would be pretty different to how they're actually taught and such :hmmmm:
The only problem with that is I'd lose an extra year of funding :frown: Since I've completed 1 year doing Fine Art, used up another year before doing Chemistry.

Is there actually much to prepare you for what any course truly entails? I can imagine the descriptions of module contents would be pretty different to how they're actually taught and such :hmmmm:

Wait how many years have you used? Taking a year out won't use up another year of funding, as you won't be at uni. It won't affect anything other than give you time to decide what you truly want to do :smile: as for preparation, I think the closest thing would simply be open days

Speak to your current university about withdrawing for a year. Quite often they'll be happy to hold you place and you can use the year to get more work experience, bump up your qualifications if you want to and apply through the normal route without the time presuures of clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending