The Student Room Group

GLS training contract application

Scroll to see replies

I don't see the point at all. The email we got after passing the AC made it sound like we had a strong chance of a position I thought. Not guaranteed but strong. Is that how others read it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It certainly did seem to give that impression! It almost seemed to suggest that is only the type of application made which could prevent success ie. If you have applied to be a barrister or solicitor only and there are not enough of those positions.

However, in my view, I don't think it was the email writer's intention to create this impression. It probably meant that more than 45 have passed so there is no guarantee.
Original post by Simba03
It certainly did seem to give that impression! It almost seemed to suggest that is only the type of application made which could prevent success ie. If you have applied to be a barrister or solicitor only and there are not enough of those positions.

However, in my view, I don't think it was the email writer's intention to create this impression. It probably meant that more than 45 have passed so there is no guarantee.

I agree with that. It is very clear that places are to be awarded in strict order of merit - there's no getting away from that particular point. If half of the people attending AC pass (not sure if I'm way out on that...), then there's still a good 20 or so PFOs to be given to those that 'passed'.

I'm just concerned that we haven't heard by now, given that the e-mail seems to indicate that 5pm on 1 September is a long-stop. Coupled with the anecdotal evidence by an offer-holder from last year saying that a telephone call was made well in advance of the long-stop date. I'm going out of my mind!
Likewise. I'm hoping the fact that this year they're dealing with 45 rather than 35 places just means it's all taking longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah well. Back to waiting...
Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has no one heard yet?
I've not, have you?
Not a whisper.
Reply 169
Absolutely killing me
Still nothing this end, folks.
Fwiw, I applied for Solicitor only.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bar_habit
I believe that, out of the 5 of us waiting, at least 3 have specified 'barrister roles only' or 'prefer barrister roles'. Eeek.

What did you put, bar_habit? I'm guessing you put barrister only?

If it's just 'prefer' and all the barrister roles have gone, yet you're still in the top 45 or whatever, I assume they just put those people in to a solicitor role?
I would assume you are right. I specified 'barrister only'. Wishing I had tempered that to a preference now!
Original post by bar_habit
I would assume you are right. I specified 'barrister only'. Wishing I had tempered that to a preference now!

I know what you mean, particularly given how little difference it appears there is between the roles within the GLS. But, I had little choice really: I start the Bar Course in approximately 2 weeks and have a full Inns scholarship. Beyond the point of return and so forth.
I've not heard anything. Now I'm worrying we've all been rejected, calls have already gone out and we'll get the PFO at 5.
Original post by Simba03
I've not heard anything. Now I'm worrying we've all been rejected, calls have already gone out and we'll get the PFO at 5.

Sadly it's possible, and looking all the more likely as time ticks on.
Have calls definitely already been made?
Congratulations! Presumably for 2018 start?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending