The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by EricPiphany
So when are we supposed to go to Cambridge?

I'm going back on the 1st of October, your college's moving day will be pretty close to that.
Original post by vincrows
Welcome pack will tell you when. It's usually during the weekend just before freshers week starts for home students.

Do we know when freshers week starts yet?

1st

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
I'm going back on the 1st of October, your college's moving day will be pretty close to that.

OK thanks.

Thanks.
Reply 745

Also proper lectures start on the 6th but you may have some introductory lectures before that. Don't expect much of a freshers week.
Original post by alow
Also proper lectures start on the 6th but you may have some introductory lectures before that. Don't expect much of a freshers week.

I've never had one of those before, so I'm not expecting anything.
I've never had one of those before, so I'm not expecting anything.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your college. Christ's is Sunday (2nd Oct) for home/UK freshers.
(edited 7 years ago)

As others said. :smile:
Just for future reference, a new term always starts on Tuesday and a new academic year always starts on the first Tuesday of October.

Just checked King's website (as they're very good at providing up-to-date info on website) , and they says freshers should arrive on Friday 30 sep.
So it's possible some colleges ask their students to arrive a day before the pre-freshers week weekend, maybe to avoid too much arrivals in one weekend.
So please check with your colleges welcome pack, especially if your college is in central location and does not have a large car park. Their instruction on when to arrive can be quite specific.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just for future reference, a new term always starts on Tuesday and a new academic year always starts on the first Tuesday of October.

Just checked King's website (as they're very good at providing up-to-date info on website) , and they says freshers should arrive on Friday 30 sep.
So it's possible some colleges ask their students to arrive a day before the pre-freshers week weekend, maybe to avoid too much arrivals in one weekend.
So please check with your colleges welcome pack, especially if your college is in central location and does not have a large car park.

Yeh i arrive on the 24th/25th due to some pre sessional Maths course.
But normal Homerton people arrive on the 1st.
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh i arrive on the 24th/25th due to some pre sessional Maths course.
But normal Homerton people arrive on the 1st.

Lol 'Normal' Homerton people..........
No, I'm not suggesting anything! :biggrin:

Yeah some students have early session or meeting before others arrive.
You'll (and whoever driving you & you stuff) have much easier time than students in central location as Homerton has ample parking spaces.:smile:
Lol 'Normal' Homerton people..........
No, I'm not suggesting anything! :biggrin:

Yeah some students have early session or meeting before others arrive.
You'll (and whoever driving you & you stuff) have much easier time than students in central location as Homerton has ample parking spaces.:smile:

Mathmos need extra help especially us homerton ones.
The course is for Trin Hall girton Caius homerton I think.
Maybe some others but I am not sure.
Mathmos need extra help especially us homerton ones.
The course is for Trin Hall girton Caius homerton I think.
Maybe some others but I am not sure.

Well, you get extra service at the same price.
Good value! :biggrin:
btw if you check your departmental websites, most of them have the lecture timetables up - the maths one is here: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/iaib.pdf
Well, you get extra service at the same price.
Good value! :biggrin:

Not really haha, we pay for accomadation for those days. Around 100 quid.
Not really haha, we pay for accomadation for those days. Around 100 quid.

Ah, so there's a catch.....
Still you'll enjoy the nice quiet time at the college before a horde of students arrive. :wink:
Original post by RThornton
Anyone got any advice on the natural sciences modules?

I'm going to take maths, physics and chemistry, but my other module will either be materials science or computer science?

Is computer science very hard if you have no previous experience?

Thanks

If you're interested in the computer science module, have a look at the pre-arrival online course you're expected to do for it.

And yet the course starts on Thursday 6th :smile: (well, engineering anyway...)

Quick Reply