The Student Room Group

TV license - Iplayer in Student accommodation.

Suppose the law on watching Iplayer is changing today, however I just think about this point.

Usually in student accommodation they share the same wifi network (ask4 or others)

And each on suite rooms are (generally ) require a license itself.
However student accomdation usually got a common rood which also got a tv generally.
According to the tv licensing website , an unplugged device is covered by the home address license.
Then if I unplug my laptop then will I still covered by the license in the common room ?
Share your thoughts:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jonnielovely
Suppose the law on watching Iplayer is changing today, however I just think about this point.

Usually in student accommodation they share the same wifi network (ask4 or others)

And each on suite rooms are (generally ) require a license itself.
However student accomdation usually got a common rood which also got a tv generally.
According to the tv licensing website , an unplugged device is covered by the home address license.
Then if I unplug my laptop then will I still covered by the license in the common room ?
Share your thoughts:smile:

Officially, if its a device powered only by internal batteries then you are covered by your HOME licence (if you have one), not the common room.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it#

Edit to add: you might want to think about paying monthly and then you can stop during summer vacations when you are at home.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/payment-methods/how-would-you-like-to-pay-for-your-tv-licence-pay8#Monthly

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

But a laptop (or iPad) can be powered by the mains so a licence is required.

The viewer is covered by the home licence if watching on a device powered by its own internal batteries, as long as it isn't plugged into the mains at the time of watching.
Original post by Good bloke
The viewer is covered by the home licence if watching on a device powered by its own internal batteries, as long as it isn't plugged into the mains at the time of watching.

Spot on. - How can they without reasonable doubt to prove it is plugged into the mains at the time of watching (because it is a criminal offence.)
Original post by jneill
A mains rechargeable device isn't exempt, unless you have a better source...

All battery powered devices are recharged by plugging them into the mains.

The operative word in the link you provided is "and":

However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat).

Just don't watch while it is plugged in and recharging.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
All battery powered devices are recharged by plugging them into the mains.

The operative word in the link you provided is "and":

However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat).

Just don't watch while it is plugged in and recharging.

Ah you're correct - and that was my original view too I just couldn't find it when mobile googling, ironically.

Do I need a TV Licence if I watch on a mobile device?
If you’re using a mobile device powered solely by its own internal batteries like a smartphone, tablet or laptop you will be covered by your home’s TV Licence, wherever you’re using it in the UK and Channel Islands.However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat). It’s the law.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/watching-online-and-on-mobile-devices-TOP14

I will amend my original post for clarity. :smile:
All we need to do now is make sure students emerge from secondary (well, primary really) education able to spell "licence" correctly, and know when "license" should be used.
Reply 7
All we need to do now is make sure students emerge from secondary (well, primary really) education able to spell "licence" correctly, and know when "license" should be used.

Most people can't cope with their, there and they're. Or even your and you're. So I think your (:p:) going a bit too far with that one.
Reply 8

I hadn't even noticed that :smile:

To license
A licence

:wink:
Original post by Juno
Most people can't cope with their, there and they're. Or even your and you're. So I think your (:p:) going a bit too far with that one.

Original post by jneill
I hadn't even noticed that :smile:

To license
A licence

:wink:

Too many young people seem to have learned spelling from American films these days, and have not been made aware that American usage differs from the rest of the native English-speaking world. It is unusual on TSR to see sceptical, licence or foetus spelled correctly, and Juno is quite correct about the number of people who don't understand something as simple as pronoun and determiner usage.

Quick Reply