The Student Room Group

is it possible to catch chicken pox with out direct contact?

my son has two little lumps that look like they have clear fluid stuff in (they look like the second picture) but he hasnt been touched or touched anyone with chicken pox :/

It's an airborne disease, so he could have catched it unfortunately
Reply 2
Original post by A-LJLB
It's an airborne disease, so he could have catched it unfortunately

oh thats sucky :frown: i thought you could only get it if u was touched/sneezed on by someone with an outbreak or something
Original post by shawtyb
oh thats sucky :frown: i thought you could only get it if u was touched/sneezed on by someone with an outbreak or something

Unfortunately not :frown:
If he does have it I hope he gets better soon!
Reply 4
Original post by A-LJLB
Unfortunately not :frown:
If he does have it I hope he gets better soon!

wouldnt there be more then just the two?
Original post by shawtyb
wouldnt there be more then just the two?

When did you first notice them?
It is possible he doesn't have chickenpox, but they can develop throughout the day
Reply 6
Original post by A-LJLB
When did you first notice them?
It is possible he doesn't have chickenpox, but they can develop throughout the day

only noticed today but he did have aa huge influx of spots all over his face (looked like normal spots) and i thought maybe it was the bugs in the air (the backdoor has been open - hot days) and most seem to have subsided now and then these two pop up
Original post by shawtyb
only noticed today but he did have aa huge influx of spots all over his face (looked like normal spots) and i thought maybe it was the bugs in the air (the backdoor has been open - hot days) and most seem to have subsided now and then these two pop up

Has he been uncomfortable? If not then it probably isn't chicken pox, I remember scratching myself nearly to death when I had them. All I can say is keep an eye out, as what you're describing is similar to my brother who had a few spots appear but then they went away with no discomfort, and if this is the case then it's unlikely to be chickenpox.

Although uncomfortable, chickenpox isn't normally at all serious and it's better to get them at a young age than as an adult :h:
Reply 8
Original post by A-LJLB
Has he been uncomfortable? If not then it probably isn't chicken pox, I remember scratching myself nearly to death when I had them. All I can say is keep an eye out, as what you're describing is similar to my brother who had a few spots appear but then they went away with no discomfort, and if this is the case then it's unlikely to be chickenpox.

Although uncomfortable, chickenpox isn't normally at all serious and it's better to get them at a young age than as an adult :h:

its been grumpy, hard to amuse, of his food a bit and quite sleepy.
there are no drs appointments today but do you think the pharmacy could diagnose it?
Original post by shawtyb
its been grumpy, hard to amuse, of his food a bit and quite sleepy.
there are no drs appointments today but do you think the pharmacy could diagnose it?

Hmm it does sound like it could be then. Some children get lots of spots and others get barely any.

Unfortunately the pharmacy is likely to just tell you to get a GP appointment, as they're not allowed to formally diagnose anything. I'm assuming there will be appointments tomorrow? Unfortunately you're just going to have to try then

Have you taken his temperature? If it's 38 degrees or higher then it is likely he has it
Reply 10
Original post by A-LJLB
Hmm it does sound like it could be then. Some children get lots of spots and others get barely any.

Unfortunately the pharmacy is likely to just tell you to get a GP appointment, as they're not allowed to formally diagnose anything. I'm assuming there will be appointments tomorrow? Unfortunately you're just going to have to try then

Have you taken his temperature? If it's 38 degrees or higher then it is likely he has it

ah thats crap. il have to ring at 8am in the morning but they go so quickly :/
not yet. i probably should lol he doesnt feel hot
Original post by shawtyb
ah thats crap. il have to ring at 8am in the morning but they go so quickly :/
not yet. i probably should lol he doesnt feel hot

Yeah it's taken me three days to get an appointment where I live haha

Just double check :smile:
If he seems in pain or you think it is chicken pox, then its not treatable in the sense of curing it - normally just paracetamol is adviced for the pain, and some kind of cooling ointment for the itching if needs be
Reply 12
Original post by A-LJLB
Yeah it's taken me three days to get an appointment where I live haha

Just double check :smile:
If he seems in pain or you think it is chicken pox, then its not treatable in the sense of curing it - normally just paracetamol is adviced for the pain, and some kind of cooling ointment for the itching if needs be

great thankyou :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
great thankyou :smile:

No problem, hope he's better soon!
Reply 14
Original post by A-LJLB
No problem, hope he's better soon!

thankyou!
took him to pharmasist (i rung and checked first) and she said it looks like chicken pox but its weird how his not been in contact with anyone to catch it
Original post by shawtyb
thankyou!
took him to pharmasist (i rung and checked first) and she said it looks like chicken pox but its weird how his not been in contact with anyone to catch it

Does he go to nursery or anything? Someone may have been ill with it without knowing :dontknow:

It's good that they let you know! Down here our pharmacists aren't as helpful haha
Reply 16
Original post by A-LJLB
Does he go to nursery or anything? Someone may have been ill with it without knowing :dontknow:

It's good that they let you know! Down here our pharmacists aren't as helpful haha

nope, his with me all the time as his only 1 :/
there helpful here lol

Quick Reply

Latest