The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Working out what Domains get mapped back to themselves...??

Ok so I came across a question yesterday which says...

Find the elements of the domain that get mapped to themselves by the function
h(x)=2x+1x2h(x)=\frac{2x+1}{x-2}

How do I work this out if the answers aren't whole numbers? What is the process of working this out?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip-flop

How do I work this out if the answers aren't whole numbers? What is the process of working this out?

You do it algebraically, not manually. Then the non-whole numbers shouldn't be a problem.

How do you work it out algebraically? (I.e setting up an equation and solving...)

If the elements map to themselves, then it gives x = y. Therefore substitute x = h(x) and solve as a quadratic.

Well it's anything on the y=x line so you can work it out algebraically as SeanFM said.
Ok so I managed to work the answer out. Here are my workings :smile:

h(x)=xh(x)=x
2x+1x2=x\frac{2x+1}{x-2}=x
2x+1=x(x2)2x+1=x(x-2)
x24x1=0x^2-4x-1=0
Use quadratic formula to work out values of x of the function that cross/lie on the y=x line
so...x=2+5x=2+\sqrt{5} or x=25x=2-\sqrt{5}

Original post by Dapperblook22
If the elements map to themselves, then it gives x = y. Therefore substitute x = h(x) and solve as a quadratic.

Oh my god. YES of course!! Thank you. I temporarily forgot that Domains that are mapped back to themselves are points of the function/graph that crosses/lies on the y=x line!!

Original post by RDKGames
Well it's anything on the y=x line so you can work it out algebraically as SeanFM said.

Thank you so much!! I was having yet another daft moment! :P I've managed to show my workings above.

Original post by SeanFM
You do it algebraically, not manually. Then the non-whole numbers shouldn't be a problem.

How do you work it out algebraically? (I.e setting up an equation and solving...)

Thank you! It all makes sense now. Check out my answer above :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok. So I was wondering if any of you guys could also help me out with this question...

Exe2E Q8 (C3 Modular Maths).png

I know that... f1(x)=x+32f^-1(x)=\sqrt{\frac{x+3}{2}} but why is the domain x>3x>-3 surely it would be x<3x<-3??

Because the range of the function f(x) is f(x)<-3 so surely the domain of the inverse function f^-1(x) would be x<-3 too?
What have I done wrong?
Ok. So I was wondering if any of you guys could also help me out with this question...

I know that... f1(x)=x+32f^-1(x)=\sqrt{\frac{x+3}{2}} but why is the domain x>3x>-3 surely it would be x<3x<-3??

Because the range of the function f(x) is f(x)<-3 so surely the domain of the inverse function f^-1(x) would be x<-3 too?
What have I done wrong?

The range isn't f(x)<3f(x)<-3 though.

What have I done wrong?

The range of f(x) is f(x)>-3, not <-3
The range isn't f(x)<3f(x)<-3 though.

Ok I am definitely being stupid :frown:

I thought since f(x) crosses the y-axis at y=-3 and that the domain is any real number less than zero hence the x<0 , that the range of f(x) can only have values as long as they are in the section of the graph that is below zero or x<0.

Can someone please explain this to me. I'm so confused and feel really stupid :frown:
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
The range of f(x) is f(x)>-3, not <-3

Can you please explain. I'm so lost it's unreal :frown:

I thought since f(x) crosses the y-axis at y=-3 and that the domain is any real number less than zero hence the x<0 , that the range of f(x) can only have values as long as they are in the section of the graph that is below zero or x<0.

Can someone please explain this to me. I'm so confused and feel really stupid :frown:

Sketch the function and it'll make sense. It's parabola after all, all negative values become positive due to the squared term.

Try drawing the graph
f(x)=2x23f(x) = 2x^2 - 3 Look at the values for f(x)f(x) for x<0x<0
Sketch the function and it'll make sense. It's parabola after all, all negative values become positive due to the squared term.

Wow. How embarrassing. After drawing the "half" parabola I realise exactly where I went wrong. I feel so freaking stupid right now :frown:
On the plus side. I managed to work out why the range of f(x) is f(x)>-3 which means the domain of f^-1(x) is x>-3
:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

Sorry if I frustrated any of you guys with my stupidity :frown:
Can I ask how you guys managed to figure this out without physically drawing the graph out?

Seriously though, thanks for being so patient with me. I really appreciate it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I ask how you guys managed to figure this out without physically drawing the graph out?

I look at what type of function it is and get the general shape in my head. Since it's a parabola and I'm working with the range, I simply find the minimum point which is easy here because it's at x=0. So since x cannot be zero, and it's everything less than that, the only solution is that the range is everything more than and not equal to -3. Works quicker in my head than I explained.

Seriously though, thanks for being so patient with me. I really appreciate it :smile:

I saw the x^2 term and recognised that this can only be positive in the real numbers, so any term for x will always necessarily make f(x) greater than or equal to -3. Since x can't be zero, it is always greater than.
I look at what type of function it is and get the general shape in my head. Since it's a parabola and I'm working with the range, I simply find the minimum point which is easy here because it's at x=0. So since x cannot be zero, and it's everything less than that, the only solution is that the range is everything more than and not equal to -3. Works quicker in my head than I explained.

Thank you. Imagining the shape of the graph is something I need to learn to do quicker. Especially when determining where graphs cross the x or y-axis'!
I saw the x^2 term and recognised that this can only be positive in the real numbers, so any term for x will always necessarily make f(x) greater than or equal to -3. Since x can't be zero, it is always greater than.

Yeah. I need to learn how to visualise these kind of problems in my head better tbh! But there is no harm in drawing the graph out I guess, I mean in definitely helped me out in this example haha :P

Yeah. I need to learn how to visualise these kind of problems in my head better tbh! But there is no harm in drawing the graph out I guess, I mean in definitely helped me out in this example haha :P

Really what I did should have been secondary to the geometric interpretation. Having an understanding of the shapes of these graphs will help with intuitive understanding of the properties.
Really what I did should have been secondary to the geometric interpretation. Having an understanding of the shapes of these graphs will help with intuitive understanding of the properties.

Yeah I guess I just need to find out what works best for me tbh :smile:

If f(x) maps to itself, it means that f(x)=x. So you are solving x=(2x+1)/(x-2)
Original post by an_atheist
If f(x) maps to itself, it means that f(x)=x. So you are solving x=(2x+1)/(x-2)

He has already done it, you're a bit late to the party.

Quick Reply

Latest