The Student Room Group

How to be a PROFESSOR of CHEMISTRY?

I want to be a professor in chemistry. I can't be doing BTECs if I want to be a professor, right? So A levels are essential for me so it is my only option it seems to get a top chemistry degree. Having 3 GCSE grades I may need to resit if I'm not allowed to do A levels at a college otherwise I can do them privately. Is there an alternative route for me or do you want to advise me other than discourage me from taking the A level route. Thanks.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Kryptonian
I want to be a professor in chemistry. I can't be doing BTECs if I want to be a professor, right? So A levels are essential for me so it is my only option it seems to get a top chemistry degree. Having 3 GCSE grades I may need to resit if I'm not allowed to do A levels at a college otherwise I can do them privately. Is there an alternative route for me or do you want to advise me other than discourage me from taking the A level route. Thanks.

Hiya,
I've just moved your thread into the Chemistry Forum for you where you should get a response :smile:
Jack
Becoming a prof is a long way off! You can get into uni having done either a btec or A levels. Check the entry requirements of unis you're interested in and go from there.

Not to sound harsh, but I would get through the stages of getting your A Levels and degree first :tongue:

However, this may be of some use to you :smile: http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/working-in-higher-education/1057/how-to-become-a-lecturer

I think you should focus on getting your A-Levels and GCSE's in order first before you start worrying about higher level university education. Chemistry is significantly harder than A-level at university, even at ex-polytechnics.
Reply 6
Mate you don't even know if you like chemistry yet.

Even if you do end up still wanting to be a professor you're at least 10 years away from having a PhD, and a hell of a lot longer away from being a professor.

Why do you only have 3 GCSEs?
Reply 7
Original post by Slowbro93
Not to sound harsh, but I would get through the stages of getting your A Levels and degree first :tongue:

However, this may be of some use to you :smile: http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/working-in-higher-education/1057/how-to-become-a-lecturer

Thank you so should I spend a year sorting my GCSE Grades out first
I think this thought is quite irrational and will disappear in a short time but if you're up for it, good luck!
Original post by coconut64
I think this thought is quite irrational and will disappear in a short time but if you're up for it, good luck!

I agree! I think you will need a lot of high grade GCSE's and fantastic A level results just to get into a good uni to do a degree in Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest