The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saran23
Hey there,

I am a GEM applicant here :smile:

Unfortunately none of the Scottish Universities offer graduate entry medicine for the 2017 entry :frown:. But they will be offering GEM in 2018 for the first ever time due to new government plans.

Oh really? Sorry I don't now much about this, I didn't know this initiative was in the pipeline! Do you know what the difference will be applying For GEM as opposed to an undergrad?
Thanks in advance 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
For students that have done Kaplan or any other courses with tuition included, would you say it was worth it. What did you you feel you got out of it that you wouldn't have by just studying yourself?I'm considering it for next year (need all the help I can get, can manage straight As at uni and yet flunk this bloody test!) but as an independent student, it's a big outlay. I'd be willing to pay it if it was worth it.Appreciate any feedback on this 😊
Reply 162
Original post by AMG2013
Oh really? Sorry I don't now much about this, I didn't know this initiative was in the pipeline! Do you know what the difference will be applying For GEM as opposed to an undergrad?
Thanks in advance 😊

GEM courses tend to be 4yrs long as opposed to 5/6 years. However, all us graduates are only eligible for student finance with the GEM course and not with the undergrad course hence it is a more expensive route.

Some choose the undergrad course because it is less competitive and as a result the chances are higher to get accepted.

Hope this helps :smile:

See the links below for a more complete answer:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saran23
GEM courses tend to be 4yrs long as opposed to 5/6 years. However, all us graduates are only eligible for student finance with the GEM course and not with the undergrad course hence it is a more expensive route.

Some choose the undergrad course because it is less competitive and as a result the chances are higher to get accepted.

Hope this helps :smile:

See the links below for a more complete answer:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/

Thank you so much for this! Do you know if this also applies to Scottish students with regards to funding (Scottish students studying in Scotland have vastly reduced fees)?
Reply 164
Original post by AMG2013
Thank you so much for this! Do you know if this also applies to Scottish students with regards to funding (Scottish students studying in Scotland have vastly reduced fees)?

I am not sure. Sorry I couldn't help but do have a look at their websites for more information.

All the best :smile:
Oh no... Already been a week and only done about 350 questions...

Time to go crazy >.<
Afternoon all!

Just did my test:
VR: 630
QR: 800
AR: 560

SJT: Band 2

Total: 1990
Average: 663

Fairly pleased, i used Birmingham's calculator tool and i am firmly over their threshold for last year (although this is of course no guarantee). Bit miffed about AR but nevermind, good luck everyone else!

Sam
Original post by cathasatail
Afternoon all!

Just did my test:
VR: 630
QR: 800
AR: 560

SJT: Band 2

Total: 1990
Average: 663

Fairly pleased, i used Birmingham's calculator tool and i am firmly over their threshold for last year (although this is of course no guarantee). Bit miffed about AR but nevermind, good luck everyone else!

Sam

Whoah, impressive stats my man!

What did you use to revise for each section and what advice would you give to someone like me who can hit a score of 400 :'(
Original post by .....Jeff458
Whoah, impressive stats my man!

What did you use to revise for each section and what advice would you give to someone like me who can hit a score of 400 :'(

Thanks, well, simple answer: have a go at all of the official practice tests on the ukcat website. I also had the 1000 q's book which gave some superb advice at the beginning of each chapter (i shall fish it out for you later).
By doing the three timed practice exams on the ukcat website, you can make tallies of what kind of percentages you are getting in each section- from there you can see where your weakest areas are and from there you can set about rectifting them with targetted revision and practice.

I would also suggest reading the NHS constitution and the GMC's Good Medical Practice guidelines, these set out clear rules such as: patient feedback is vital, dishonesty and cheating are severely disliked and patient safety and comfort is the number one priority.

I shall fish out some extracts from the book for you. :smile:
Kind regards,

Sam
Edited: due to my interpretation of a comment made by strandsfinest

Sam
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cathasatail
Right,
QR:
-if you can't then do not attempt every question
-it is better to focus and do 80% of the q's and get them right compared to doing 100% of the q's and rushing your calculations
-if you had to guess 25% of the q's, with four possible answers available then you are likely to gain an extra 5% of the marks overall
-do not get bogged down on one question, keep trying to move on
-learn to scan data
-use the whiteboard and calculator
-if possible, start from the answer and work backwards

AR:
-type and size of object
-number of objects
-position
-number of sides
-symmetry
-angles
-colour
-intersections
-direction
-* isolate individual features
Practice!

VR:
-Focus on text
-interpret the keywords (can, frequently, may, many, unlikely,etc)
-differentiate between cause and merely correlation
-answer all questions
-do not be afraid of the can't tell option
-read question thoroughly

SJT:
-read nhs constitution
-read gmc good medical practice
-integrity highly regarded
-rare white lies can be used (telling a patient their results have not come back yet)
-importance of teamwork
-emergencies come first
-patients also come first
-maintain confidence of patients in nhs

Hope that helps!

Sam

u legend. Thanks so much. Let's hope I can get my aim now!
Guys I think that cathasatail has kept kept just on the right side of UKCAT etiquette but remember that when you have taken your exam you are still competing against everyone that is yet to sit it. These forums should be there for general help and encouragement I think and should be used to point people in the right direction for resources and general help on exam technique. It might be a huge relief to have taken the UKCAT and done well but it is not fair to those who already sat it and done a lot of work to spoon-feed those who have just started to think about taking it.

The medical schools will say the same when you have your interviews. If you report back word for word on what you are questioned on you are helping someone else prepare unfairly and perhaps take your place.
Original post by strandsfinest
Guys I think that cathasatail has kept kept just on the right side of UKCAT etiquette but remember that when you have taken your exam you are still competing against everyone that is yet to sit it. These forums should be there for general help and encouragement I think and should be used to point people in the right direction for resources and general help on exam technique. It might be a huge relief to have taken the UKCAT and done well but it is not fair to those who already sat it and done a lot of work to spoon-feed those who have just started to think about taking it.

The medical schools will say the same when you have your interviews. If you report back word for word on what you are questioned on you are helping someone else prepare unfairly and perhaps take your place.

I have that book already and have read those tips before. I am in fact finishing that book today/tomorrow (where he gave advice from).

Calm down
Heya guys, just got my results:
VR:790
QR:770
AR:560
SJ:Band 1
Average: 707
Overall: 2120

Shame about AR cos I practiced loads but nvm. Is this enough to apply to UKCAT heavy places like Barts and KIngs? Is it possible that AR might drag me down in places that score by individual sections like Nottingham?
Reply 174
So, just got my results...

Verbal Reasoning: 590 (Absolutely freaked out when i got into the exam, started panicking. For the first questions my mind was just a daze. Got the last half right though i believe.)
Quantitative Reasoning: 850 (Pulled myself together :wink:)
Abstract Reasoning: 720 (Had to guess 2 patterns, but rest were fine.)
Band 2

Average: 723.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Is this good enough for the UKCAT heavy unis?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
So, just got my results...

Verbal Reasoning: 590 (Absolutely freaked out when i got into the exam, started panicking. For the first questions my mind was just a daze. Got the last half right though i believe.)
Quantitative Reasoning: 850 (Pulled myself together :wink:)
Abstract Reasoning: 720 (Had to guess 2 patterns, but rest were fine.)
Band 2

Average: 723.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Is this good enough for the UKCAT heavy unis?

my results weren't too far away from yours, so i'll be interested to find out what people will say:
TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2 VR-740 QR-720 AR-650 Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? Could I still apply to Manchester and Glasgow???
Original post by strandsfinest

Hi,
Might I first of all say that the information I communicated was not based off the experience that I had when doing the test, in fact it was a brief summation of the points raised in a book which is freely available to purchase (the points raised are also common themes on many ukcat advice websites and are regularly brought up in forum discussions).
However, I understand the implication of my actions, as you have alluded to them and I have therefore seen it fit to cut the content from my previous post.

Having said this, I still feel that this forum is here to help people. If we are unable to assist fellow students in their quest for excellence then I am afraid that this would render the forum almost entirely obsolete- we would be merely discussing topics and not helping others.

Have a good evening :smile:

Sam
Reply 177
Original post by simmy1on
Heya guys, just got my results:
VR:790
QR:770
AR:560
SJ:Band 1
Average: 707
Overall: 2120

Shame about AR cos I practiced loads but nvm. Is this enough to apply to UKCAT heavy places like Barts and KIngs? Is it possible that AR might drag me down in places that score by individual sections like Nottingham?

Its more than enough for Barts, last year there were people who got offers with low 600's
Can I have some opinions on my UKCAT as I don't know how to feel about the marks.

Biomedical student with decent medical background (HCA worker), so that's all there.

I'm looking at grad entry..

VR - 640
QR - 890
AR - 700
SJ - Band 1

I just don't know if that'll be good enough to apply anywhere or if VR has dragged me down too much.

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Original post by Rosser1994
Can I have some opinions on my UKCAT as I don't know how to feel about the marks.

Biomedical student with decent medical background (HCA worker), so that's all there.

I'm looking at grad entry..

VR - 640
QR - 890
AR - 700
SJ - Band 1

I just don't know if that'll be good enough to apply anywhere or if VR has dragged me down too much.

Thanks guys! * * * * *Posted from TSR Mobile

Excellent score! Def go for GEM!*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending