The Student Room Group

Why do girls pretend that looks don't *really* matter?

Guys are open about this. And if they say they don't, they're usually honest. Like I know guys who would **** everything that moves as long as she has a fuctioning vagina. Clearly, they don't think looks matter.

But I don't know any girl that is like that. Instead, most girls claim that "looks don't really matter" but it's pretty clear to everyone that they really, really do. If not then why do clearly physically attractive guys get a shitload of attention?

Scroll to see replies

You make the assumption that a girl who thinks looks don't matter would want to **** everything that moves.
Reply 3
Original post by XOR_
You make the assumption that a girl who thinks looks don't matter would want to **** everything that moves.

No I did not though I can see why you'd think that.

I meant this: Guys are mostly open about looks being very important. There are some guys who don't think looks are important and, with them, you can actually observe that because they'll **** anything that moves.

Now, girls don't obviously do that, I didn't say they have to do that. But they clearly prefer hot guys no matter how boring or even mean they might be. Find me a hot guy regardless of his personality that hasn't had a tons of girls. Douchebag, stupid, dumb even criminal.
Reply 4
Original post by saraxh

You could actually tell me which of the things I'm saying are wrong instead of being passive aggressive.
Yeah I'm a girl.

And looks do matter.

I like a boy with a sexy body and a handsome face.

I also like a boy who is kind and not an idiot.

I'm pretty open about this.

My female friends also say looks matter.

Only some girls pretend they don't matter.

Don't generalize all girls. Everyone is different.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because girls like to pretend they're deeper than they actually are.....
Original post by Anonymous
No I did not though I can see why you'd think that.

I meant this: Guys are mostly open about looks being very important. There are some guys who don't think looks are important and, with them, you can actually observe that because they'll **** anything that moves.

Now, girls don't obviously do that, I didn't say they have to do that. But they clearly prefer hot guys no matter how boring or even mean they might be. Find me a hot guy regardless of his personality that hasn't had a tons of girls. Douchebag, stupid, dumb even criminal.

There will be girls for which looks matter, however that does not mean looks matter for all girls that both allows a douchbag to get tons of girls (the ones that care about looks) and for other girls to rightly claim it doesn't matter for them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by cookie123456789
Yeah I'm a girl.

And looks do matter.

I like a boy with a sexy body and a handsome face.

I'm pretty open about this.

My female friends also say looks matter.

Only some girls pretend they don't matter.

Don't generalize all girls. Everyone is different.

All observations are based on generalisations.

If I made a thread right now asking guys what they like in girls, almost all replies will involve a combination of body, face, ass, etc.

If I made a thread asking girls, you'd get a lot of "makes me laugh" and "is nice" which I understand are important but fat guys with those traits wouldn't be attractive. They're far more reluctant to admit physical appearance matters above all.
Reply 9
Depends how the relationship forms.

In a club, of course looks matter. You have nothing else to base the attraction on.

Day to day, unless you're the kind of person who immediately asks someone out, you will usually judge someone more on their personality.

I could spend 30 years with a 'bad looking' guy with a great personality, but not with a 'good looking' guy with a bad one.

I'd never say looks don't matter at all, but it's not always very significant.
First of all, teenage girls and young adult women who want sex are going to get it from somewhere, and if the hot guy is the one putting out (which in my experience he usually is, because of confidence or whatever) then of course he's going to get the girls. Also, seems like you're talking about one night stands here? Which yeah, are mostly between two hot people of whatever gender.

Most of the time when girls say looks don't matter they're saying it because a) if we say that looks do matter then we get crucified for being selfish shallow *****es so :shrug: and b) they're/we're talking about relationships, not one night stands or hookups. Of course physical attraction is important in a relationship, but personality and compatibility is just as important. Besides, different people find different things attractive. One of my friends thinks her boyfriend is the hottest guy ever, but I don't find him attractive at all.
because they don't want to be seen as shallow as men?
First of all, teenage girls and young adult women who want sex are going to get it from somewhere, and if the hot guy is the one putting out (which in my experience he usually is, because of confidence or whatever) then of course he's going to get the girls. Also, seems like you're talking about one night stands here? Which yeah, are mostly between two hot people of whatever gender.

Most of the time when girls say looks don't matter they're saying it because a) if we say that looks do matter then we get crucified for being selfish shallow *****es so :shrug: and b) they're/we're talking about relationships, not one night stands or hookups. Of course physical attraction is important in a relationship, but personality and compatibility is just as important. Besides, different people find different things attractive. One of my friends thinks her boyfriend is the hottest guy ever, but I don't find him attractive at all.

First of all, the only one who will crucify you are other girls. Guys won't mind, we agree with you already (though if you claim not to be interested in looks that much but then you only date hunks, we'll crucify you for hypocrisy).

Secondly, maybe physical attraction is subjective. It's still based on looks. Your friend thinks her bf looks physically handsome. She didn't say she likes him because he's an expert on differential equations.
Surely the extent to which someone's looks matter depends on what exactly you're planning to do with them?

What are we talking about here exactly? Is it just hooking up in a club and having no-strings-attached sex? Is it going on a few dates and having a good time? Is it being in a long term relationship? Is it getting married and growing old together? I would guess that, for both boys and girls, looks probably matter in decreasing order for the items on this list.

The impression I get from your post is that you're probably talking about just sex - in which case, of course looks matter; you're not really going to care what someone's innermost personalities are like if you're just with them for one night. But consider that, when someone says that looks don't really matter or places less relative importance on looks, they might not be talking about just having sex.
Original post by tazarooni89
Surely the extent to which someone's looks matter depends on what exactly you're planning to do with them?

What are we talking about here exactly? Is it just hooking up in a club and having no-strings-attached sex? Is it going on a few dates and having a good time? Is it being in a long term relationship? Is it getting married and growing old together? I would guess that, for both boys and girls, looks probably matter in decreasing order for the items on this list.

The impression I get from your post is that you're probably talking about just sex - in which case, of course looks matter; you're not really going to care what someone's innermost personalities are like if you're just with them for one night.*But consider that, when someone says that looks don't really matter or places less relative importance on looks, they might not be talking about just having sex.

This is not necessarily true. Most guys I know who're only interested in casual sex/ONS don't really care about looks.

Tbh, the opposite is true for obvious reasons. Guys who want long-term relationships do care about looks 'cos you'll have to be with her for a longer time.
Meh, I don't pretend. There has to be mutual attraction for anything to happen (in my opinion).
I don't think looks matter. :I
I'm more interested in a guy who looks past the looks and who has a nice personality and doesn't think I'm too weird :colondollar:
Dunno which girls u r talking about but you are certainly not speaking for all of them :naughty:
Yes looks matter but personality is importanter
They don't. But, they also don't put it as number 1.
This is not necessarily true. Most guys I know who're only interested in casual sex/ONS don't really care about looks.

Tbh, the opposite is true for obvious reasons. Guys who want long-term relationships do care about looks 'cos you'll have to be with her for a longer time.

I agree that's true, but I was talking about the importance of looks relative to everything else.

That is, people interested in casual sex might not really care about looks, in the sense that they'd be willing to sleep with someone who isn't that good looking. But I expect that they'd still prefer someone better looking to someone ugly, whilst something else like personality or education etc. might not factor into their decision to such an extent.

Similarly, someone who wants a long term relationship might care about looks more, and set the bar higher for someone he wants a relationship with. Again he'd prefer someone better looking, but I think personality and other things would be relatively more important here.*

Latest

Trending

Trending