The Student Room Group

Slightly Odd University Application

Hello hello,
Last year for AS I didn't get the grades needed to apply to Cambridge (all B's, all a couple of marks off an A, grr), so instead of applying during my A2's I decided to have a year out and apply with my existing A2 grades. I managed to up my game to an A* in maths (96% in A2), along with an A in physics and a B in Chemistry. Whilst completing my A2's I also began AS Further Mathematics, achieving an A, and I am currently teaching myself the A2 and will take the exam next year (Aiming for another A*). If I manage to achieve an A*next year I will be over the requirements to study Mathematics (A*A*AB). However, as I'm completing my A-levels over 3 years (whilst only doing each subject for 2), I'm extremely unsure as to whether I qualify.
During my year out I am also tutoring y13's in Maths, along with completing different work experiences which all include different elements of Mathematics (I.e computer animation, audio mechanics, and web design), whilst also learning how to program javascript to make some of my own websites.
I'm writing to ask whether there would be anything else I could do to improve my application, as I've always dreamed of studying Maths at Cambridge!
Thanks!
Original post by Jacob2215
Hello hello,
Last year for AS I didn't get the grades needed to apply to Cambridge (all B's, all a couple of marks off an A, grr), so instead of applying during my A2's I decided to have a year out and apply with my existing A2 grades. I managed to up my game to an A* in maths (96% in A2), along with an A in physics and a B in Chemistry. Whilst completing my A2's I also began AS Further Mathematics, achieving an A, and I am currently teaching myself the A2 and will take the exam next year (Aiming for another A*). If I manage to achieve an A*next year I will be over the requirements to study Mathematics (A*A*AB). However, as I'm completing my A-levels over 3 years (whilst only doing each subject for 2), I'm extremely unsure as to whether I qualify.
During my year out I am also tutoring y13's in Maths, along with completing different work experiences which all include different elements of Mathematics (I.e computer animation, audio mechanics, and web design), whilst also learning how to program javascript to make some of my own websites.
I'm writing to ask whether there would be anything else I could do to improve my application, as I've always dreamed of studying Maths at Cambridge!
Thanks!

Try this thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242

No one can give you more reliable info and advice than him in this forum :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
Try this thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242

No one can give you more reliable info and advice than him in this forum :wink:

Thanks! will do :smile:
Hello hello,
Thanks!

The essential thing you need to do to get an offer for maths is to do well in STEP. If you do, your other grades and how you achieved them hardly matters. If you don't, you won't get in.
Reply 4
Original post by sweeneyrod
The essential thing you need to do to get an offer for maths is to do well in STEP. If you do, your other grades and how you achieved them hardly matters. If you don't, you won't get in.

Cheers for the reply!
Would STEP be manageable if I'm teaching it to myself during my year out?
Cheers for the reply!
Would STEP be manageable if I'm teaching it to myself during my year out?

Well, that depends on how good you are at maths! But it is certainly possible to self-teach (that's probably what most people do), and you can usually do that in a few months alongside A-levels, so you can definitely do it in a gap year.
Reply 6
Well, that depends on how good you are at maths! But it is certainly possible to self-teach (that's probably what most people do), and you can usually do that in a few months alongside A-levels, so you can definitely do it in a gap year.

Brilliant, I'll get on that ASAP, anything else you would suggest?

Maybe looking at Olympiad stuff. I think the best thing to do is probably to learn A2 Further Maths as quickly as possible, so you can get a head start on STEP (although you can do STEP I without further maths knowledge).
Reply 8
Maybe looking at Olympiad stuff. I think the best thing to do is probably to learn A2 Further Maths as quickly as possible, so you can get a head start on STEP (although you can do STEP I without further maths knowledge).

Alright thank you so much!
Reply 9

This (although I imagine there will be a 2017 version in due course)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3478331

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending