The Student Room Group

Why are people stupid enough to believe there isn't a recession?

Many Brexit economists are saying there won't even be a short-term shallow recession.

are they dim, or did they buy their degrees under the table?

it stands to reason that firms will not hire as much or invest as much, leading to less orders, and less consumer spending.

Why are they parroting this pseudo-economical *******s?

Scroll to see replies

I'm no economist but what makes you believe you know more than these economists? Surely they would have considered all of the relevant factors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Merely the absence of any actual evidence for a recession.
Reply 3
Original post by Underscore__
I'm no economist but what makes you believe you know more than these economists? Surely they would have considered all of the relevant factors

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know better since i'm not blinded by an ideology or to prove myself right. Many Brexit economists are too blinded and biased to see the real picture emerging, and saying the possibivility of a mild recession happening now is non-existent.
Becayse in the real world people wait for data to see whats really going on rather than making claims without supporting evidence.
Economy is all arbitrary if you think about it
Reply 6
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Economy is all arbitrary if you think about it

no it'snot. then all science is pretty arbitrary.
OP said he knows better since he's not blinded by an ideology.
:facepalm:
Original post by kimkarsd
Many Brexit economists are saying there won't even be a short-term shallow recession.

it stands to reason that firms will not hire as much or invest as much, leading to less orders, and less consumer spending.

See ignoring anything everyone has said. Your title states "why are people stupid enough to believe there isn't a recession" so of course their currently right we are not in a recession.

Next time you want to call people dim check your own grammar first.

Oh and I voted to leave the European Union and vote Conservative.
Reply 10
Original post by CherishFreedom
OP said he knows better since he's not blinded by an ideology.

good economists report and interpret what IS, without bias. it's a science after all. not **** based on faulty logic, to prove their political standpoint.

Like manufacturing data from April to June and say everything is alright. People should Google it, most economists who were pro-Brexit cited that as evidence.
good economists report and interpret what IS, without bias. it's a science after all. not **** based on faulty logic, to prove their political standpoint.

Like manufacturing data from April to June and say everything is alright. People should Google it, most economists who were pro-Brexit cited that as evidence.

Here are the statistics for July 2016:

JSA claimants down 8600
UK consumer spending up 1.6% year-on-year
Retail sales up 5.9% year-on-year
Tourists up 18% from June
House sales steady
Credit card spending unchanged
UK car manufacturing up at 12 years high
House prices up 0.6%
Manufacturing PMI at 48.3

For August so far:

Manufacturing PMI at 53.3

What do you say to these statistics?

People self select data to suit their narrative (on both sides).

For what it's worth i voted Brexit on the basis of the treasury's worst case scenario (i.e. would that cost be worth it).

On the basis of today's PMI figure though it does look like business probably overreacted in June.

If PMI and consumption figures stay positive then a slowdown in growth is probably more likely than recession.
no it'snot. then all science is pretty arbitrary.

It could be yes
Reply 14
It could be yes

not really, but your opinion is not a fact.
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
People self select data to suit their narrative (on both sides).

For what it's worth i voted Brexit on the basis of the treasury's worst case scenario (i.e. would that cost be worth it).

On the basis of today's PMI figure though it does look like business probably overreacted in June.

If PMI and consumption figures stay positive then a slowdown in growth is probably more likely than recession.

No, it's mostly the Brexit economists who do this. Very few honest Brexit economists take a hard/objective look at the data on offer.
not really, but your opinion is not a fact.

And every fact is an opinion
Reply 17
No recession, markets look happy (ish).

I would like to see the FTSE break 7000 before the end of the year.
Reply 18
And every fact is an opinion

no, it's not. But then idon't have tolerance for spiritually-minded people like yourself. if you hate precision so much, why come in a forum based on such?
(edited 7 years ago)
Except it is. Everything we hear is opinion. It's all to do with perspective. Is what I'm saying to you hitting a nerve?
no, it's not. But then idon't have tolerance for spiritually-minded people like yourself. if you hate precision so much, why come in a forum based on such?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending